PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-31-2021, 08:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Cool Supermarine Stranraer - Draco - 1/100 - Build Report

Well friends. He had promised his friend Draco that as soon as possible he would make an assembly diary of Supermarine Stranraer, his first commercial product for sale at Ecarmodels in several versions and in two scales: 1/72 and 1/33.

Of course, my specimen will be built on the 1/100 scale as usual, but that does not affect the construction, as both scales are very close. For those who haven't seen it yet or not, I advise you to read the development thread of the model that was completely hand-drawn, in addition to Alejandro's work, you also follow Yankeekilo's excellent beta test in 1/72 scale.

Supermarine Stranraer scratchbuild, 1:72

The Stranraer is certainly the last large biplane seaplane developed in Great Britain and the last large seaplane by Supermarine, designed by Reginald Mitchell (Father of Spitfire) in the early 1930s, to the specification of the Air Ministry R24 ​​/ 31. Stranraer was a large biplane with simple strutters and engines attached to the upper wing, Mitchell developed this elegant plane as a derivative of a smaller military model the Supermarine Scapa, a small biplane hydroplane then in service with the RAF but which produced just over ten units. Being accepted in the service he operated with the RAF from 1937 until 1942, being responsible when beginning World War II for many actions of patrol and hunting submarines with the Coastal Command. It was also produced under license by Canadian-Vickers in Canada, which delivered to RCAF more or less 40 airframes that were used in anti-submarine patrol operations until the end of the war. The surviving aircraft were later demilitarized and used on local airlines during the 1950s.

I have a certain sentimentality for this model because I have it assembled in plastic in the 1/72 of the Matchbox, it is kept in my mother's house, along with other things of the youth that we end up keeping or leaving in the parents' house. So I was very happy when Draco started this project and had the generosity to sell it at a fair value, considering the craftsmanship involved in making a model from scratch by hand.

The version chosen is exactly the one I built on the plastic model and one of the versions offered on 1/72 by Draco: The Stranraer camouflaged with BN-L code from the RAF's 240th squadron, based on Stranraer in Scotland (strange coincidence) between 1940 until the half of 1941.

In the next post I will do an analysis of the model.
Google Adsense
Old 01-31-2021, 08:51 PM

Smile 1- Apresentation of model

Well friends, as I said in the previous post we are going to a quick analysis of the model.

Draco really made a work of art, in the sense of complexity and precision. The model has many formers, which becomes a problem for beginners. My copy was printed on an Epson L120 Printer in photographic quality on 120gsm offset paper, I am still studying what card paper I will use to laminate the internal structures, but they will certainly want to have increases in bonding area to avoid the effects of " beef rib "on paper either by pressure or manipulation.

The model has two optional levels of construction, one "simple" and one for "experts", I believe from the experience that both present difficulties although for example in the case of engines the expert version boils down to more elements to be built.

As with other biplanes I intend to design a specialized jig for the assembly as I will soon do with my P2Y.

As a base bibliography I will use the excellent Mushroom Magazine publication on Stranraer and Walrus, in this book the modeler finds everything he needs to model these two planes in detail.

Certainly some details in scratchbuilding can appear such as the machine gun station or a beach landing gear. the progression of the montage will tell.

I am currently studying laminations. Soon updates until then.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Thanks, gomidefilho!
You'll find that the model was made specially with scratchbuilding in mind!
For example, you can let open the front gunner position, or the bomber's window, and you can place transparent windows very easily. I hope you enjoy your model!
Old 02-01-2021, 08:47 AM

Thanks Draco!

I hope make a nice work
Old 02-01-2021, 09:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking forward to the progress. Really great looking kit.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Alejandro did an extraordinary job designing this beautiful seaplane, here we will be looking.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:47 AM

Smile

Thanks my friends! I think in the weekend I start in slow mode this project.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:45 PM

Smile

After some days of delay.

I selected the paper for laminating the internal structures, which are various and of many types. The selected paper is a double-sided cardboard paper that in Brazil is known among modelers of architectural models as "Schimit Montado Duplo" it is 1 mm thick (320 gsm) and extremely dense and rigid.

My lamination method involves preparing the structure by compacting the bonding surface with a silkscreen rubber roller. The printed part has a permanent spray glue application, its adhesion is improved with pressure through a silicone spatula that is used in wall paintings. Now we have to wait a day or so to be completely dry to start cutting.

Updates soon.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
That cardboard looks really good from here.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalssergio155 View Post
That cardboard looks really good from here.
Indeed my friend, I think in the next week I start the internal frame (the build is in slow mode)...
Google Adsense