PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-14-2021, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
So many Pipers, so little time!

The plethora of Pipers is proliferating! Three new Cubs are added to the flock! Including a pre-Revolution Cuban, A Canadian on wheels, and an Invasion L-4 Grasshopper.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Great work Jim. Those are all amazing Cubs (and a Super Cruiser).

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-15-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
Great work Jim. Those are all amazing Cubs (and a Super Cruiser).
Yes Gary! and as you know the Super Cruisers are starting to reproduce too! I hope we can start releasing all of them soon!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 713.11 MB
Great model of the timeless Cub!
Perhaps include, as a separate piece, the more angular vertical stabiliser / rudder profile of the original J3 / L-4 Series.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
Looking good, Jim G! I'm ready to snap up a Super Cub.

Like many others, I have a place in my heart for the Piper Cub. As a small child, my did would take us to the local airport to watch the airplanes, mostly Cubs and Aeronca's, take off and land. Then, as my model skills grew, I probably built a dozen Paper Cubs. None survive, but that is not because of the subject!

Then, during my Army days at Ft. Knox, KY., I had the opportunity to take flying lessons in a, what else, updated Piper Cub, or a Super Cruiser PA18, registration number N4241A. First Solo, and about 10 hours of solo time logged. At the unbelievable cost of $4 an hour, including fuel! But I only got $108 a month before taxes and (required) bond purchase, so funds were quite limited, thus flying hours. I confess also to experiencing the devil of tail-dragers – a ground loop. No harm done to the airplane, but my ego was seriously wounded.

Like Don Boose, I have no photos of that plane. I have plenty of tanks and Duce and a half's, but none of what I liked best, the airplanes. Then some time ago, I came across an internet site that one could enter an ID number, and find it's history. Low and behold, there was a photo of 4241 Alpha, in days after it's Aero Club days. Not really pretty, but no longer in it's dirty white and fluorescent orange tail, wing tips and cowling. That photo was in, I believe, the '70's and no history beyond that.

Now the paper model side of the story. One day, while still in my RC days, the hobby store had a box of 'give away price” stuff, and there was a PMI Piper Cub kit, for $1.00, and I bought it. It was kicked around for years until one day I decided to build it. I think that was my very first paper model kit. And I was pleased with it, and hooked! That one, unlike earlier Cub models, has survived, and I like to display it. Photos are of the PMI Cub, and N4241Alpha.
Attached Thumbnails
Piper J3 in 1:48-n4241a.jpg   Piper J3 in 1:48-img_9785.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVA View Post
Looking good, Jim G! I'm ready to snap up a Super Cub.
The Super Cub is high on my agenda, but my attention ins focused on getting the Cubs and Grasshoppers listed at Ecardmodels.com

The disadvantage of being a member of DGA is that everyone jumps on a model to produce different liveries, then in a flash I have 17 Cubs, 19 Grasshoppers and 8 PA-12 Super Cruisers to build and list. Every one of those liveries is striking and worthy. It may be a little while until I get to designing the Super Cub
Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 PM

And of course there will be loads of Classic Yellow Cubs!

Old 03-25-2021, 08:32 PM

As I am writing this, the DGA has 7 Piper Cubs/Grasshoppers listed at Ecardmodels and with 2 more uploaded and waiting approval.

We have 27 more Cubs finished that need to be built, and photo'd to create cover pages. We would love to find someone who is a decent builder and photographer that would like to build models for free, and join our little group. None of us are good at everything, but taken together we make nice models and have a lot of fun communicating and supporting one another.

Since we started re-listing at Ecardmodels in December 2020, we have only been able to list 60 models and the hold-up has been recreating covers that were lost in the crash. We have about 500 models finished and this one step away from release.

PM me if you are interested.