PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-19-2021, 03:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth

Hi friends.
Time to show a little happy-maker. When things aren't great, these kinds of builds *really* do make my life better. And I cannot put my finger on exactly what it it that does it. The Late Fabrizio Prudenziati has left his beautiful paper models behind for us to make us all happy, I guess.

Anyway, building a Zio aircraft takes me away from those cloudy grey overcast feelings I often have nowadays in these challenging times (that expression itself had already become a cliché...) and it takes me to a place that clears my mind, lets me almost thoughtlessly tinker and fiddle with some colourful pieces of cut-out paper and leaves me in the end with a little plane and a big happy smile on my face, blowing at the propeller and making airplane noises.
And that is why I always reach out to another little Zio plane when I am in need for a quick result, or when a big build is starting to drag me down in a way. I build them just for me to get a little kick out of. I never start building them to be a super great model. But they always do turn out to be very good-looking little buggers to be added to my crowded shelves.

Mille Grazie, Fabrizio.

The DH.82 is like almost every Zio plane a joy to build. Some little improvements were made because I felt like it. I used the 'carve the wing ribs and roll 'em up' technique to acentuate the wing ribbing a little more. And I used spliced matchsticks to replace the paper struts and a sewing pin with two little beads to make a spinning propeller.
The only thing I added to the actual kit were two self drawn windscreens.
Attached Thumbnails
Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140631.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140641.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140642.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140643.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140644.jpg  

Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140645.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140646.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140647.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140648.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140649.jpg  

Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140650.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140651.jpg   Zio's DH.82 Tiger Moth-p1140652.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 04:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Great build, very nice airframe.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:59 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Very nice build. Your enhancements have really bumped it up a notch. I like the tarmac display base as well. I don't generally print out and build models that use a lot of one primary color ink, so I miss out on great models like this one. Once all the yellow ink is gone for instance, secondary and tertiary colors can't be produced, and the whole cartridge needs to be replaced. I suppose a continuous ink supply system is the answer, but they can be pricey.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hi
My favorites are the biplanes and the two-wing ones, the "romantics" of the Golden Age of aviation.
This "moth" of yours is very nice and above all I agree with you in the satisfaction you feel when seeing it finished without too much effort ...
And you also have a full shelf !!!
Old 02-19-2021, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Thanks for sharing. Any time I see 'Zio' in a thread title, it lifts my heart and makes me smile. And this little yellow fellow brightened my smile even more
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2021, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Well done on this beautiful Zio model. A classic every respect - airplane, model design, and model build.

Don
Old 02-19-2021, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Please consider entering my contest with this. Outstanding!
Old 02-19-2021, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Don Boose, Llaut, Vermin_King and Mike, thanks for the kind words! They're appreciated! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Very nice build. Your enhancements have really bumped it up a notch. I like the tarmac display base as well. I don't generally print out and build models that use a lot of one primary color ink, so I miss out on great models like this one. Once all the yellow ink is gone for instance, secondary and tertiary colors can't be produced, and the whole cartridge needs to be replaced. I suppose a continuous ink supply system is the answer, but they can be pricey.
Thanks, Don! I personally think that one never should be frugal when it comes to a great model. I love my models to be nice bright and colourful when they are meant to be like that. A Caudron C450 needs to be super blue, a BAe Hawk trainer of the Red Arrows needs to be really shiny red. I even use expensive paper when I think my model will be improved by using it, I happily reprint a page when I mess up. And I invested in a multi-cartridge C/M/Y/Black inkjet printer (a Brother MFC-J5320DW which also can print A3 sheets) for that particular reason. Although printer ink is more expensive than human blood (ridiculous!), I need it for my hobby. The rest of the stuff is quite inexpensive, after all. And I want to enjoy my hobby. The refillable continuous ink system is a nice idea but it takes up a lot of room and I think loose cartridges are just as good. I just try and avoid the actual brand names and use 'white brand' replacements.
The runway display was made for a specific model but that one never was finished. So now I use it for displaying my finished models. (-; The runway itself is grey sandpaper with added white pencil lines. The grass is stuff for railway scenery, glued to the base with some PVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddlea View Post
Please consider entering my contest with this. Outstanding!
I will, Todd. I first have to read how to but then I will happily enter. Just for the fun of it. Can I enter more?

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 02-19-2021 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I added letters! Yes I did.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Zioprudenzio - aerei di carta - paper airplanes
Old 02-19-2021, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Enter as many times as you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
I will, Todd. I first have to read how to but then I will happily enter. Just for the fun of it. Can I enter more?
Google Adsense

Tags
aircraft, de havilland, fabrizio prudenziati, joy, tiger moth