PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-20-2021, 07:06 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Lisunov Li-2D from the FlyModel C-47 - 1/33 scale

Several years ago, I started repainting FlyModel's C-47 kit as a World War II era Lisunov Li-2. The US provided hundreds of C-47s to Russia under Lend-Lease. The Russians reverse-engineered it, built a near-identical knock-off, and never acknowledged that it was an American design. The wartiime Li-2D was a paratroop transport and glider tug. Some of the Li-2s were outfitted as bombers. Like the DC-3 in the US, the Li-2 became a mainstay of post-war Russian civil aviation.

After I finished repainting and printing the kit for my father's C-47 (My Father's "Bird"), I went back and looked at the Li-2 repaint. It was nearly finished. So I have now finished it, except for a few bits that will have to be repainted during the assembly process, and my plan is to build the two in parallel. Together, they should make an interesting display.

"Repainting" the two kits was done in Photoshop Elements. For the C-47, that meant painting out the invasion stripes and changing the squadron and aircraft markings. For the Li-2, it involved all of that plus adding camouflage and Russian insignia, and modifying several components to match photos.

Printing will be a tedious process because the original sheets are 16x11 inches and my printer can only handle letter and legal size cardstock. So I'll have to use Photoshop to slice up the pages and rearrange parts to fit my printer. I should be ready to start building the two kits next week.

As a rule, I don't do build threads, but I will try to post a few photos of my progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Lisunov Li-2D from the FlyModel C-47 - 1/33 scale-sample-wing.jpg   Lisunov Li-2D from the FlyModel C-47 - 1/33 scale-li2-fin002.jpg   Lisunov Li-2D from the FlyModel C-47 - 1/33 scale-li2-markings.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2021, 10:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
A correction

Based on a quick research, the the DC-3 was license built in the USSR and then modified to suit local needs ( Lisunov Li-2 - Wikipedia ). So calling it a knock off is incorrect. As to the terms of the license, or royalties, that is another matter.

The B-29 however was reverse engineered without US consent. The Soviets were preparing for the next war that was looming ( the cold war ) and needed a nuclear capable bomber which they did not poses. They confiscated all US bombers that landed in Soviet territories in WW2. Those were the source of reverse engineering and were designated Tupolev TU-4 ( Tupolev Tu-4 - Wikipedia ).

Isaac
Old 07-24-2021, 04:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Soviet Union got DC-3 licence long before war and produced them forst under PS-84 designation.They weren't direct copies of DC-3 either as Soviets didn't have machinery and technical capabilities to produce it. Lots of changes were done and plane was modifies and simplified much further as war went on. Li-2 is very different plane or a "variation on theme" if you will.

I'm looking forward to this since I haven't seen many Li-2 builds at all.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
The repainting seems very good. Attractive color scheme, isn't it? All the best and good luck with the double build! - Leif
Old 08-12-2021, 08:35 AM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Progress on Li-2 and C-47

I'm making progress on the 1/33-scale C-47/Li-2 project. The Li-2 will represent a dual-role bomber/paratroop version. The C-47 will carry the squadron and plane markings and the serial # of my father's aircraft from 1944-45 (My Father's "Bird").

I'm impressed with the kit. I've seen very few fit problems, all minor and easily corrected. The hardest part was the nose cone. I built 6 or 7 of them before I was satisfied with the shape and the technique.

I will continue to build these two in tandem. Eventually, I will display them alongside the Geli Martinair DC-3 that I built many years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Lisunov Li-2D from the FlyModel C-47 - 1/33 scale-progress1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-12-2021, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
thats looking good sir nice start cant wait to see more of this build
Old 08-20-2021, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
A bit like the Yanks reverse engineered a German V1 and called it a "Cruise missile" ?