PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-10-2021, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale

When this model was first published a few years ago, I went and purchased it along with the laser cut frames, canopy and wheels. However, I never got around to building it.
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3681.jpg

The model is designed well and the finished model looked good on line and other builds.
North American F-86E-5 Sabre Hobby Model

There were numerous computer generated views which are helpful.

I finally decided to build it 6 months ago. So I studied the design which relies on numerous internal frames.

however my first disaster occurred. I could not properly wrap the forward fuselage skins around the frames and got a stupid looking nose. I then stripped it off and in the process I poked my finger lightly with the knife and had small blood spots on the good sections.
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3735.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3737.jpg

I then left it aside for a week and finally decided to print a scanned sections and attach it. Unfortunately, the coloring was so awful and wrong that it looked as though an amateur grafted a new nose.

I tried to reprint again ( I am not good at repainting ), but the same results. So I decided to just continue the build as my trash build just for the sake of keeping busy. I then discovered that my camera used for these builds went bonkers and was over exposed, so all the initial build pics are marginal ( I then reset the camera back to factory setting and all is well now ).

then the second disaster occurred. The wing developed a bad case of the wrinkles even though I used the UHU glue. At this point I was ready to toss the entire model in the trash and almost was.
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3760.jpg

So I set it off in its own tray and placed it in the closet never to be seen again.

I finally decided to fix it last week and converted this "swan" into a "duckling" ( not the other way ).

So I will report on the trials and tribulations of this build.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 08-10-2021, 12:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
The trials of paper modelling. I feel you pain.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
Hello Isaac!

Looks like it is a tough one, but you are a tougher!

I had a look through the internet and you will not see this model very often - probably not only you had some difficulties with it.

The old 'classic design' F-86 from FLY MODEL's combo (F-86 & MiG-15) seems to be still more popular among the modelers.

kind regards

Cybermac
Old 08-10-2021, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
So far, it sounds like a Mack Sennett comedy routine, but with your skill, it should turn out okay.

I'll be watching.

Incidentally, I've done the blood (as well as sweat and the occasional tear) dripped on the model trick from time to time.

Don
Old 08-10-2021, 08:02 PM

I think the model design is over complicated for no reason at all. The internal fuselage frames are a real killer and not easy to work with nor are needed to such a degree. I built other models using this technique, but for some reason this one refused to cooperate.

In any case, I shed blood for it, so here it goes.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2021, 04:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Isaac, with your skill and experience, if it can be done you'll be the one to do it. I have complete confidence in you.

Good luck!
Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 08-11-2021, 09:25 AM

Exclamation The model

The model was purchased in printed form in the usual A4 format and has lots of computer generated views to assist in the construction. The pages have a somewhat metallic look without the shiny artificial metal finish common to some models.

Geometrically it looks like an accurate rendition of the F-86E and has multiple options for the separate control and leading edge slats ( which are deployed down on the ground and low flight speeds. Also, the optional gun bay on the left side as well as the air brakes. The cockpit is also nicely detailed especially the visible parts.

Here are some of the pages:
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3681.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3682.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3683.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3684.jpg

visual instructions:
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3685.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3686.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3687.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3688.jpg

The main thing I do not like and also hesitated building is the nude lady poster on the side. I am not a prude nor am a religious conservative, but this nude is misogynists' art ( even though pin up art on planes is historically correct ). I decided to go ahead with it, but maybe a repainted version without this side art will be better suited for me.

Isaac
Old 08-11-2021, 12:03 PM

Exclamation Accessories

I purchased years ago a set of wheels ( wood ) as well as the laser cut frames and a canopy. All useful!

F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3689.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3692.jpg

F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3691.jpg

F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3690.jpg

Isaac
Old 08-11-2021, 12:07 PM

Exclamation prep work

I usually do not pre spray the pages, but for some reason, I did spray the pages here and let it dry overnight.
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3701.jpg

F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3702.jpg

I used Americana acrylic spray. Must be done outdoors because the smell is so noxious and toxic. Now I remember why I do not use it. This is the last time.

Isaac
Old 08-11-2021, 12:15 PM

Exclamation Forward nose framing

I started assembling the nose section frames
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3693.jpg

then build the air inlet for the engine
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3696.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3697.jpg

dry fit
F-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3698.jpgF-86E Sabre Hobby Model 1/33 scale-img_3699.jpg

Again, apologies for the over exposed photos. My camera went into stupid mode . The next few pictures are the same until I decided to factory reset the camera.

Isaac
Google Adsense