PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-17-2021, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Very construction-like build! Eye catching.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Great project. I look forward to seeing it develop.

With it being a scratch build, the detailed photos and explanations are nice (as long as it isn't too much work).

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 11-18-2021, 12:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
With it being a scratch build, the detailed photos and explanations are nice (as long as it isn't too much work).
It sure isn't too much work! I love talking about the models I build. The thing is before finding this site and meeting people at the IPMC no one understood what it takes to make these models. So, the fact that I can share it with you all and perhaps even inspire some to try my style is super exciting!!!

Anyway, I've been working on it today, spent roughly... oh I don't know, 4 hours or so just on what I'll share in this update. Firstly, I want to go for busy, I want there to be too much to look at. I want to have so much going on that just the shear amount of colors, parts, layers, etc. makes it look that much more realistic.

To start that off, I've been putting together the cockpit. Today I started with the back of the cockpit. I've built the fuel selector, the fuel lines, a fire extinguisher, a valve, and some electrical boxes. There is still too much open space so I will be sure to find a way to fill that space with something.

The fuel selector.
To build the fuel selector I used a 3/8" hole punch to get the disk size if the selector. After that I glued another hole punched circle of 1/8" diameter in the center. Then, I laminated a few layers of paper together and made the selector arm and glued that to the 1/8" circle. I then painted it all up and labeled the L/R/B for left, right and both fuel tanks. After making that part I needed to figure out a way to make the fuel lines. to do that I punched another 3/8" circle and glued it straight the wall, painted it the same and used it as reference for the wire. To make the fuel lines I used wire and some paper rolled up and cut to size for the fittings. Essentially, I made a really long tube on the wire and cut it down to the size I needed, about 1mm. I also used those for the mounting points where the line would be mounted to the plane.

Fire Extinguisher.
The fire extinguisher took a few tries. To build them I took a picture off google for the instructions you'll see on them. wrapped it around a 1/8" dowel and glued it up. The handle and hose were simple. just cut some triangles and made them roughly resemble the handle. The hose is wire super glued into place. I had to make it twice as the 3/8" one I made first was way to big.

Valve thing.
The valve I put together by hole punch about 6 130lb paper 1/4" punched circles together. Cut a bit of a toothpick up and used that in the center. For the handle, just a few laminated layers of paper. This valve shows off a technique taught to me by Don Boose. Using tiny dabs of glue made the perfect size bolts. Then, painted over with a metallic paint really made them pop. Thanks for the suggestion Don!

I've still got lots more to go. So far I'm roughly 20 hours into this project.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-full-back-panel.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-ca-side-rear.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-fo-side-rear.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-fire-extinguisher_quarter.jpg  
Old 11-18-2021, 01:01 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Duck, duck, Goose!

Tyler, this is a great thread!

I have always loved flying boats and have been exploring early models, like the S.55 from Italy or the little S-38/39s; wonderful craft. The Goose was still hanging about one Island back in the late 60's & 70s as private collections.

Appreciate your description fo the craft and the steps that you are sharing during this build. Also, the detail you're providing is inspiring.

I'll be watching this thread closely!
Old 11-18-2021, 07:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
WOW! When you said that you wanted too much to look at, you weren't kidding. The detail is amazing. You've even added the fittings and fire extinguisher. This is an unbelievable amount of detailing.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 11-20-2021, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
That looks great! The Goose is one of my favorites although my model that Don mentioned is a simple one in comparison. Your formers look really nice and if you want any interior pictures I've got a few from the one that is here in Spokane. I do have some gear pictures too that may help later if you need them. You have to love the Grummans....
good luck with your project will be watching also with interest
Old 11-22-2021, 12:10 AM

Birder,

Some reference pictures would be fantastic! I don't know how much detail you could get, but if you have access to the plane some pictures for reference would be very beneficial to me.

specifically:

The landing gear, the gear door under the wheel, and the linkages/pivot points of the gear would be awesome. A close up of the wheels/tread, brakes, and wires/cables in the gear. Close ups of how the rear gear works too would be pretty useful.

Rudder pedals, basically any pictures of the assemblies below the panel.

The flaps, where they pivot, the actuators that move it, and some pics of the ribs in the flaps. Some aileron details would be rather useful as well.

The interior, I believe I've got pretty much planned out with how I would like to build it.
Reference photos of how things look, such as chairs, window panels, and lights in the cabin would be nice. keeping the build as accurate as possible is one of my goals.

The engines. Any and all photos you have of the engines I would be very grateful for. The exhaust system on the top of the engine is hard to find online. Photos of those would be pretty useful.

Smaller details such as the pitot tube or static port as well as any other antennas or sensors would be useful.

I find that there is usually so much to a plane that never see simply because I've never seen the plane.
Is the one in Spokane in a museum or is it airworthy? Would it be something that I could take a trip up there one of these days to come see? My schedule is rather flexible and flights are extremely cheap for me.

Thank you for being willing to share some of your photos of the plane. Anything you have and are willing to share would be wonderful for me.

Tyler.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
To see the Goose here at Spokane, look up Grumman Goose Checkout on Youtube, there is so much information there it is probably most information that you may need. The PembertonandSons series of checkout on the Goose has a tremendous amount of information, you will find it very interesting I'm sure.
I think he's done a series of 5 or 6 videos!
Old 11-22-2021, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
A very interesting subject for modeling, and a very nice start. Thanks for sharing this build.

Shalom Mor
Old 11-24-2021, 09:06 PM

Grumman Update: Cockpit

Hey guys, got a bit of progress for ya. I've been working on the cockpit. More specifically the instrument panel and rudder pedals.

The panel has thin veneer wood for the main 6 pack. I think it brings a pretty cool aspect to the panel.

I also added a wood panel to the floor.

Not sure what else to say about this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-panel-1.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-panel-2.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-panel-3.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-panel-4.jpg   Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-panel-5.jpg  

Scratch Built Grumman Goose G-21A-grumman-cockpit-panel-6.jpg  
Google Adsense