PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Wow! Thanks!
The one depicted in the minute 3:20 is the same displayed in the museum, but there is a weird detail that I don't understand: the british roundel on the right side was painted way back by the restoration crew, and the "U" ended over the window. The left side of the fuselage has the markings placed right.
My paper model will have the right side depicted like it was on 1942, as can be seen in the movie shown by Rata.

There is another movie here:
F-0472 The Northrop N-3PB Recovery - YouTube
Old 11-24-2021, 07:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Awesome! Another rare subject on paper!
Old 11-25-2021, 04:41 PM

Assembling the fuselage.
Having just an engine, it's easier than the He-115. There are still details to design, like the radiator or the scapes, but their placement is already marked.
The beta test will be painted by hand, but the Gimp allows me to digitally paint the plane without losing the "white parts" layer.
Then, of course, will come an extra layer of shadows where the movil surfaces join the wings and tail, and the guns and scapes darkened zone. In other words, weathering.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07362-1-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07362-2-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07362-3-.jpg  
Old 11-25-2021, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
So far so good.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
That's amazing! I've done quite a few repaints of the S&P I-16, and your uncle's Rata is actually one of them. With your permission I'd be happy to put his name in the description when I submit the model (after test building) to Ecards if you like.
Rata, it was not my uncle but my grand-uncle, José María Hurtado Radal. He came to Venezuela after the end of the Civil War. Yes, I would like you
to place his name.

About the N-3PB Nomad, the fuselage is almost finished, now comes the tail and elevons, the first layer of paint, and later the floats or the details. Of course that's the phisical model, the digital version is more advanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Warbird to Enjoy-dsc07366.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-dsc07367.jpg  

Last edited by Draco; 11-26-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 11-27-2021, 01:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
I'll put his name on it for sure.

And the N-3PB coming along nicely.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:21 PM

Thanks!

Ok, the fuselage and tail have been assembled. Now comes the details, that are designed but not printed.
And the first layer of paint, of course.

This black rectangles and the irregural part under and aft the wing, are windows. So, if any of you want to do it, you can cut them and use acrylic.

Breaking my head, I found another picture of the plane in the Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection, this one taken on May, 1942. And in this picture you can sea clearly the the right side of the plane has the "U" over the window. Meaning the the museum rebuild was well done and I'll have to make mine like this, too.

Anyway, fuselage assembled, paint started. There are going to be three versions: Museum, norwegian and british. And the scales are going to be 1/72 and 1/33.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07368-1-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07368-2-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07368-3-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07368-4-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-northrop-n-3pb-del-no.-330-n-squadron-usado-para-transportar-al-hospital-una-mujer-seriament.jpg  

Old 12-01-2021, 05:55 PM

Designing the wing fairings, cockpit glasses, water and oil radiators, etc.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:09 AM

A great number of the small parts of the plane are designed, so I printed them, glued and applied the FIRST layer of paint. My prototype will have two or three layers.
Of course, the beta test and the final model to release will be printed in color, as you can see in the first picture.
I made a test with an acetate cockpit, and it would had worked if I had Testors glue. But, I can't find it in Venezuela.
So, the cockpit will be done in paper, but as allways, the model is designed to allow improvements by the final modeler.

By the way, if the administrador could change the tittle of this thread to "N-3PB Nomad: Another Warbird to Enjoy" I would be grateful.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-031221-1-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-031221-2-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-031221-3-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-031221-4-.jpg  

Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-031221-5-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-031221-6-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-031221-7-.jpg  

Last edited by Draco; 12-03-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:03 PM

Color.

Color, color, color. Don't believe ANY model, whatever is paper, plastic or flight simulator.
There is an specific tone of paint inside the bucket. Once it goes over the plane, it changes depending the aplication method, the surface under it (metal, old paint, primer, etc)
It changes too depending if it is under the sun, electrical light, clouds, humidity, dirt.
For example, here you can see two pictures of the very same plane: one picture outside under the sun, the other under controled conditions. The model I'm painting will be similar to the outdoors picture, the one you'll assemble will be similar to the indoors picture.

So, I applied the first layer of paint. As you can see, the green is too shinny. The final scheme of my test model will be similar to the one of the Stranraer.
Ah, by the way: your museum model will be clean, the other schemes will have scratches, oil, gun residue and worn out where the crew shoes stepped. Not too much, just a little little bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-25-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-dsc07388-1-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-norwegian-armed-forces-aircraft-collection-5-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-n-3pb-norwegian-armed-forces-aircraft-collection-8-.jpg   Another Warbird to Enjoy-northrop-n3p-b-no-22-del-escuadron-no-330-una-unidad-noruega-que-opero-con-el-comando-costero-d.jpg  

Google Adsense