PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-14-2021, 12:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
very nice, looking forward to the completed model.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:53 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Coming along very nicely!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-14-2021, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
Nice, Dan. Simple models that were hand drawn have alot of character I think especially if they go together ok.
Halinski had some earlier models the P-38 is a really cool one, that although I think computer drawn I don't think were computer modeled. The p-39, the wildcat are really very nice models even though early in the process of computer programs to help.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.52 MB
Just a note, my grandfather worked with (he designed machine tools in New York at the time) and become acquainted with aircraft and Navy guys in the 1930's and 40's. I was aware that he knew Igor Sikorsky but apparently he knew Piazecki the best, and was acquainted with Seversky too. It is great that he lived to an older age and I was able to get old stories from him so fun. Nothing like a verbal history. My most interesting recent story: met a Navy veteran just a few years back that was in Florida training for ww2, and he was hitchhiking and was picked up by a limousine with a driver, he sat in the back and found himself with an older man who had picked him up, it was Wilbur Wright!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thank you WP, Ray and Glen! Glen: That's so cool that you have had those experiences. I liked talking to my Dad as he flew in B-24s for 35 flak and fighter-filled missions. He didn't talk about it unless I asked but it was pretty interesting and all those little details I cherish the most. He had a Hurricane do a barrel roll around his plane as they were flying back to Norwich. The only celebrity he saw was Eddie Rickenbacker at the Indy 500! Still pretty darn cool.

Here is the P-35 as of tonight. I got the stab and elevators on. Drooping them was easy and simple. I didn't pull a complete "Halinski" but just scored things and they look good. I'll be touching up the fabric covered parts with a slightly different shade of silver to set them off a bit soon. Otherwise tomorrow will be WINGS!

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010875.jpg   P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010876.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2021, 06:59 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Beautiful looking bird. You're doing a great job on this model.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It IS outstanding, Dan.

I remember many years ago that this was one of the models that Bill Geoghegan built and discussed on his webpage. As I recall, there was one place where the paneling was colored and he used a aluminum Sharpie to fill in. It looks like you did not have that issue with this build.

Don
Old 12-15-2021, 10:28 PM

Thanks a lot, Don^2! I have had my own issues and I'm just trying to hide them the best I can...

I got the first part of the wings done: the center section. Fit is ok and will just need a few tweaks. The fillets will help a bit too. I'm actually quite surprised how well things fit considering the Mark I Eyeball creator. Says a lot for the French curve and slide rule!

More tomorrow,
Dan

P.S. And yes...I did forget to put some backing material in for the oleo struts. I'll just get creative.
Attached Thumbnails
P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010877.jpg   P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010878.jpg   P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010879.jpg   P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010880.jpg  
Old 12-16-2021, 03:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Just tuned in..... Nice work Dan. These older kits have their charms. Amazing to see how computer aided design has changed paper modeling in the past say 15 years.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 12-16-2021, 03:07 PM

Thanks, Erik. I must agree. At least in this case, I can live with some little fit issues as the end result sure looks nice and it's been a very enjoyable and skill-honing build. I'd recommend this 1998 version to anyone. I think Modelik may have updated it at some point as some builds seem to have the turtle decking pre-colored and the Indian insignia is a bit more filled in than my example. But I may be mistaken too. As is, it's still a honey (so far). I am a fan of the trailing edge shaper you add. This helps make a nice taper when sanded.

I got the wings on with little consternation. They fit nicely. It payed dividends to use my usual balsa formers as with a little block sanding, I got nice dihedral. The spar in the kit is fine and imparts the dehedral well, but with tiny bits of paper skin overlap, it looked too severe to me. Just a few swipes and presto. I also left out the paper form you see in the first shot as I couldn't figure out how it really installed. The spar is supposed to go inside that piece. My 1/32nd balsa former and main spar seemed to do just fine on their own!

Looking good and now I'll start playing with the bumps, pitos, fillets and landing gear. Still chugging along!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010881.jpg   P-35 From Modelik 1/33rd-p1010882.jpg  
Google Adsense