PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-16-2022, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.78 MB
Quote:
Interesting forward swept wings.
Primary reason is to allow the the CG of the glider to be acceptable with two people up front in the cockpit. This has been done before. It is not for any aerodynamic reason.
Yes, there are some other gliders from the same era that use this configuration, the Bergfalke comes to my mind.

Did the wingtips and ailerons, the ailerons have an added semi-circular leading edge (balsa covered with orange tissue) so that one can set them in a deflected position without causing a gap.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_23.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_25.jpg  
Old 01-16-2022, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Good idea on the ailerons. Sure wish it was designed into the model to begin with. I was thinking of cutting back the lower part of the aileron to achieve the same effect, but ended up just building it as designed.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:49 PM

Made a really stupid mistake when lacquering the model - with acrylic floor polish. Yes, even an idiot could suspect that this is not a good idea. I did actually test it on a scrap piece first, and it seemed to work. It was however a different story when I applied it to a wing, perhaps due to the larger surface involved. After a while the wing started to develop humidity induced "bubbling" or whatever you would call it. I was not pleased

I thought I would have to discard the entire model, but after drying out most of the bubbling actually disappeared. Looking at it from certain angles it is still pretty evident though...

Instead of the acrylic lacquer, I then used cellulose lacquer (Zapon), which smells a bit but is much better suited to these models!

Also added details like landing skids, wheel, etc. An error in the design is that the front skid is just half the width it should have, but that is of course easily fixed. Some dirtying on the underside looks realistic (and partially hides some boo-boos).
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_26.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_27.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_28.jpg  
Old 02-04-2022, 07:18 PM

Made the cabin hood, which took a while but worked out ok in the end. As the painting scheme I'm doing has black window frames, I didn't need to keep the orange colour of the printing. Instead, I used the cutout as an inner frame (painted gray on the backside), glued the glassing onto this inner frame, then glued frame with glass to the fuselage. The fit was good, which surprised me a bit
After that, an outer framework was built up from individual tissue strips. On the photo taken from above one can see that the front half of the cabin hood is slightly wider than the rear half. Fortunately the difference is not large enough to be noticeable, as it is camouflaged by the external framework.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_29.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_30.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_31.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_32.jpg  
Old 02-05-2022, 05:34 PM

Today I completed the glass-work and added the final details. The image shows the fitting of the front window pane.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_34.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2022, 05:47 PM

Here are some photos of the finished model. The worst shortcoming is due to experimenting with an unsuitable acrylic lacquer, which made the paper go damp and "bubble" on one wing. Cellulose lacquer worked better, but the finish is a bit blotchy. Otherwise I'm fairly satisfied with the model.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_37.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_38.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_40.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_41.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_42.jpg  

Old 02-05-2022, 05:51 PM

Finally, some close-up pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_43.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_44.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_45.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_46.jpg  
Old 02-06-2022, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 731.91 MB
Congratulations!
A tear swirls in the eye ...
Old 02-06-2022, 05:35 PM

Thank you Henryk! I hope you have many pleasant memories of flying the Czapla!

I was surprised to see that there were no instruments provided for the instructor in the backseat. Do you know if that was the case, or if it's just an omission in the model design? I couldn't find any photos on the net to check with.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 731.91 MB
Hi Anyun,
Unfortunately, I can't remember any more, but I would say there were no flight instruments at the back. The instructor's view of the instrument panel in front was probably sufficient. This glider was constructed very simply and in most cases flew only one lap around the airfield, the flight lasted (my memories from the time of basic training) mostly only a few minutes - takeoff (cable winch) and briefly straight ahead - left turn, briefly straight ahead - left turn - much longer straight ahead - left turn and short straight ahead - the last left turn and landing.
The instructor "only" had the pedals, the control stick and controls for the air brake.
Google Adsense