PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-14-2022, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.78 MB
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33

I started this model a while ago. It's a polish two seat glider from the 1950's, and it was used for flight training in Poland and Finland. The design is by GPM.

The interior went together without problems.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_01.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_02.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2022, 05:43 PM

I had to cut off the rear part of the fuselage frame and re-mount it at the correct angle, it had apparently got misaligned when installing the formers. I used a bit of balsa wood to strengthen the joint. When test fitting, it turned out that the formers were larger than what would fit the skin, I had to cut/sandpaper them down quite a bit. After that, the fuselage skin went on nicely.

Problems did however occur on the front part, as these formers could not be trimmed due to the cockpit. To solve that I had to cut a new front underside part, as the original was much too small in width.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_03.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_04.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_05.jpg  
Old 01-14-2022, 05:53 PM

When making the tail, it turned out that the front fin fairing was about 1 mm too short, I had to insert an extra scrap paper strip there. I also made a mistake in fitting the fairing before I had mounted the stabilizer halves, with the result that the stabilizer halves could not be brought up close enough to the fin, resulting in a gap.

I made some extra fairings between the fin and stabilizer from scrap paper. It looks a bit clumsy seen close-up, but it's still much better than the original gap
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_06.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_07.jpg  
Old 01-14-2022, 06:13 PM

The nose presented new problems. The joints of the nose panel did not look good and had to be sanded down and then painted. Although I managed to get the colour reasonably close, it still had a different sheen than the original paper. Depending on the lighting, it could look either perfectly acceptable or stick out like a sore thumb.
I then decided to cheat a bit and do a black trim as on the Czapla hanging in the Polish aviation museum. I don't now if SP-1595 ever had such a trim, but it seems to be the most common painting scheme of the Czaplas. I made the black trim using tissue paper (as used for covering stick and tissue flying models) and the result was quite good, much better than before!
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_08.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_09.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_11.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_12.jpg  
Old 01-14-2022, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I had the same problems on my build. Not the small gap on the vert stab. I was going to use a straight pin through the fuselage for the hand-holds midway between the wing and the tail, but the darn frame got in the way. I should have cut out a section of the frame. Anyway, I ended up using 2 pins, one on each side.

Your build is looking good, glad you are going into more detail than I did.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-20220114_180830.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2022, 07:06 PM

Thanks, Knife. Yes, I guess it is difficult to avoid gaps in the tail on this model, maybe if one is aware of the problem beforehand it might be possible to make a better fit.

In spite of the numerous small problems, I'm starting to like this model. The basic design seems good, and will hopefully lead to a nice looking glider.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 731.91 MB
Hi Anyun,
a very nice building. I flew it (60s years) in Poland!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:07 PM

Thanks Henryk! Nice to hear from someone who actually flew the plane I'm building!

Today I continue with the wings. They are built over a box framework, to which I added some balsa spars to stiffen it, and also to make a stronger joint at the wing root. The original just has the boxes butt joined to the central fuselage frame, a design that I didn't really trust. The spars in the two wing halves are placed in different positions, so that they can go through the fuselage framework without mutual hindrance. This method seems to have made a strong joint without any flex. An unscheduled stress test was done by having the plane make a wing tip landing after a fall from the table; it survived
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_13.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_14.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_15.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_16.jpg  

Last edited by Anyun; 01-15-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:25 PM

The wing skins were difficult to bend around the leading edge without creasing, as the paper they are printed on is very stiff. The way I did it was to wet them lightly on the backside, and then use an iron on low heat to form them around a tube. To protect the printed surface I used a piece of tissue between the iron and the wing skin, as a test on a scrap piece had shown that the print was easily damaged otherwise.

The end result was reasonably good, but certainly not perfect. Maybe someone knows a better method?
After pre-forming, the skins were glued to the wing boxes and the fuselage, an operation which needed a bit of care. Fortunately the fit of the wing skins was almost spot on, with only minimal adjustment of the wing root end necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_17.jpg   SZD-10 Czapla - a Polish glider in 1/33-czapla_21.jpg  
Old 01-15-2022, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Interesting forward swept wings.

Primary reason is to allow the the CG of the glider to be acceptable with two people up front in the cockpit. This has been done before. It is not for any aerodynamic reason.

Just an FYI

Isaac
Google Adsense