PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-01-2022, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
More cockpit details

Thank you Petestein, Don, Isaac, Mor, Tom, Dan, Yoav, Pepo and Jim. Appreciate your comment!

@Tom (Olo): It's an absolute delight up so far, this model. I really love it .

@ Jim: Thanks for the heads up. I have read a few building reports where the builders reported issues with fitting the fuselage skin over the cockpit area. I must say that up so far the laser cuts are completely matching the size of the parts on which they need to be glued. However, the ribs that make up the cockpit cage are mostly not part of the laser cut set and I make it a habit to slightly cut inside the (already very thin) black line that outlines each part. Currently I am working on the side panels (update will follow later) and as far as I can judge at this point the panels fit very accurately over the cockpit cage. So far so good....

@ Dan: The switches are very narrow scraps of the paper on which the model is printed, and glued upright on the narrow side (0.2mm thick). The knobs are small slices of either 0.5, 0.75 or 1.0mm diameter polystyrene rods that I buy from the local model/hobby shop.

Just a quick update of some remaining cockpit items, touch-ups here and there still required. Marked up in red, two parts (W5) that are somehow missing in the instruction drawings.
Also in place the rack with the ammo boxes for the gunner. I cut out the holes in the rack. That could have been done a bit neater but my revolving puncher doesn't go smaller than dia 2mm. But on the other hand, barely visible and the pictures are zoomed in. Every irregularity is blown up.... In any case, need to get a set of hollow pipes as there will be more holes with small diameter to be punched....

The only items left are the gunner's footrests and then on to the side panels. Next time .

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8884.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8885_li.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8886.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8898.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8899.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8901.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e8902.jpg  
Old 04-02-2022, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Looking great, Erik! Thanks for the tutorial on the switches too...Dan
Old 04-02-2022, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Great work as always Erik, the control panel that you made had liver switches in case you want to change it I am sending the photo of the interior ...
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-dauntless-20cockpitavd-photo-2-.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-20200505_122009.jpg
Old 04-02-2022, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
good start Erik.....great job on the cockpit.

YOAV
Old 04-03-2022, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
mist the start of this Erik Doing good work.

Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2022, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 151.02 MB
For gosh sakes Erik, based on Olo's photo you forgot the pencils on the side of the control box! But I do think the bubble wrap is a more recent addition.

Incredible job as always.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Side panels

Thanks again Dan, Tom, Yoav, David and creosotewind!

@ Tom, you are right, the control box on the bottom right side of the cockpit is full of tumble switches and as far as I could decipher from internet pictures, these are mostly for operating the lights. As the box is quite hidden inside the cockpit I only detailed the switches just enough with small scraps of paper to highlight them. I admire what you made of this part!

It is interesting though to find out what the functions are of all these dials, levers, handles and other items in the cockpit and gunner's compartment.
I found a few pictures that shed some light, and they're from pages in the SBD-3 pilot's manual. The instruments are all over the cockpit and it must have taken a lot of training of the pilots to ensure that under pressure of the action, they sort of instinctively operated the right levers and handles, especially when coming out of a dive.
As a (private) pilot myself I can only feel respect for these young guys who had the age of my sons, and who were having such responsibilities on their shoulders. Truly amazing.

Well, I'm progressing forward to aft with each of the panels and trial fitting them along the way to ensure stays on track. What a great level of detail Halinski has provided here, with an absolute flawless fitting!

I have added a few details myself, mainly switches and knobs. Still in the process of adding things. Thanks to Tom/Olo whose build provides inspiration and a challenge to match.

The right side panel has handles for flap and landing gear operation and two large containers, for each crew member, of which I have no clue what the function was. They look like oversized lunch boxes with a thermos bottle, but that's likely not what they were. Perhaps safety gear?

It took me a few nights to complete these items (parts 28) - finished late last night which explains the orange picture - and in the process of installing them I also decided to use stretches of 0.5mm dia plastic rod to highlight the longitudinal stiffeners, but only on those locations where they remain visible after closing of the cockpit by the side panels.

There are other details too I would like to add, but more to come about that next time. It's a continuously evolving mind game in that respect.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9401.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9402.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9404.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9408.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9409.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9411.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9419.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9420.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9421.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9423.jpg  

SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9424.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9425.jpg   SBD-3 Dauntless 1:33 scale-img_e9426.jpg  

Last edited by Erik Zwaan; 04-08-2022 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 04-08-2022, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Thanks to Tom/Olo whose build provides inspiration and a challenge to match.

Your build is pretty inspiring as well. Looks great even when viewed close-up, and that is no easy feat.

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2022, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I built this one years ago and your report is a real tour down memory lane. Needless to say that I did not even get close to your level.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Great progress as always Erik. Great work

Tags
1:33, dauntless, halinski, sbd-3