PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-18-2009, 04:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
A quick update on the Hustler:

Billy is a little silent the last couple of days, which probably means he is busy building or experimenting. We'll know soon enough.

I think the conclusion that is solidifying here regarding how to create markings for aluminized paper is this:

Produce the parts with the multiple shades of gray; with the colored markings on the parts. These markings will serve to provide "placement" for any secondary method desired by the builder. Then provide a "decal sheet" with all the colored markings, on a white background. This can be printed on sticky label paper, or can be used in a number of ways to produce water-slide decals. Since these decals have a white background, the will simply cover the markings on the original parts.

If the builder decides to print all the parts on white paper (not silver), then they simply discard (don't print) the decal sheet.

As far as progress on the design itself; the wing is 100% complete (unless Billy wants changes). I'll send him the outer skin parts tomorrow. Currently, I am designing the cockpit and 2 crew bays. The model will have 3 open lids.

This process is a little scary to me since I am designing parts, sending them to Billy without any pre-verification builds on my part, and he is investing ink, paper, and time (and trust) that the untested parts will come together.

Pictures to come...

Ken
Old 09-18-2009, 05:30 AM

I think your approach is right on, Ken. And speaking on behalf of all "blind" test builders I think we just love the rush of working with something brand new and unknown...I know the Corsair builds for Will are well worth a little ink and paper.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
Airbrush?

Who's got an airbrush, and why? This is PAPER we're talking about.

Just print the dang things on label stickers, and you're DONE.

I thought we were trying to simplify things, not make them where only people with AIRBRUSHES can do this...

Do the simplest thing first.
If anyone is after a 'simple' model, possibly one of Ken's models is not the place they should be looking...Ken is one of the developer's looking to push the edge of the paper modelling envelope, along the way providing an alternative form of modelling, and thus discussions like this one regarding marking options are healthy and useful conributions to the hobby...
Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 PM

I had a really long reply to this post, but on reflection, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

All I'll say is, don't castigate me for trying to simplify THE PROCESS (not the model) so that no one is excluded from participating.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Ok guys - let's all play nice. I read widget as supplementing the method you suggested as is - print on white stickers and smooth the surface with a spray-on finish to give a glossy / smooth surface. A step that all modelers wouldn't take with paper - but some would.
Please don't let any bickering detract from this excellent design / beta-build opportunity we have going on here
Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Even just the white sticker option is good enough for me! Though a straight white version would be nice as well, never liked the aluminium look on (most) planes.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Yes I have been a bit quiet, but real life work got me busy the last couple of days ( I work a a free-lance art-director/ setbuilder and we did a program for dutch television) but tonight was the shooting and ( thats the other side of the coin) I have a lot of spare time the next couple of weeks:D
I did give the water decal another try, but it still is not 100%
Sofar Lancers525's idea worked best, and it's cheaper, easier and available for everybody.
I think this is the first digital model designed with the consideration to print it on metallic paper.
That's just a new way , the last couple of years papermodeling got an enourmous boost through the internet and people designing models on PC's
Ken's design is another step beyond...
Old 09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
POTW Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
A quick update on the Hustler:

This process is a little scary to me since I am designing parts, sending them to Billy without any pre-verification builds on my part, and he is investing ink, paper, and time (and trust) that the untested parts will come together.

Pictures to come...

Ken
Believe me , that's time and money well spend..:D
Old 09-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Just a quick funny thought and observation about the mighty B-58. I went to the local museum with my son today and took some nice shots of the B-58 "Greased Lightning". Then, before we left we went to the museum store. They have been doing a nice job of getting a better supply of model kits in there lately, so I took a look. Lo and behold, there was a nice (and expensive) kit of "Greased Lightning" herself. It all came full circle. That was pretty cool.

On a more paper model side, I've been working on the museum director a bit to get some paper models into the museum store. He hung a few of mine up in there just for decoration and a bunch of people wanted them. They may have actually sold one, but I'm not sure. All I know is that it was gone after a couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
1:32 B-58 Hustler - Design & Build-img_7249.jpg   1:32 B-58 Hustler - Design & Build-img_7269.jpg   1:32 B-58 Hustler - Design & Build-img_7270.jpg  
Old 09-20-2009, 06:34 AM
POTW Editor

And we have lift off...
I glued the parts for the wingstructure to cardboard, as a big jigsaw puzzel, it actualy connects them without the step to join all the separate parts
Attached Thumbnails
1:32 B-58 Hustler - Design & Build-dsc09196.jpg   1:32 B-58 Hustler - Design & Build-dsc09197.jpg  
Google Adsense