PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-03-2009, 01:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
All I can offer is the suggestion that when you have the bulkhead pairs together for sanding/trimming, try to bevel the edges of the pair to roughly match the taper of the fuselage at the joint. This should result in an aft bulkhead that is slightly smaller than the other one in the pair. I try to keep them tack-glued together while dry-fitting the joint and separate them only when the fit is satisfactory.

Beautiful build so far - and you are right about Marek's wood grains. They are the best!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
All I can offer is the suggestion that when you have the bulkhead pairs together for sanding/trimming, try to bevel the edges of the pair to roughly match the taper of the fuselage at the joint. This should result in an aft bulkhead that is slightly smaller than the other one in the pair. I try to keep them tack-glued together while dry-fitting the joint and separate them only when the fit is satisfactory.
Ron, thanks for that. It makes perfect sense to me your way This way they still keep the identical shape along with the ability to taper them. I'm off to try it once more.
Thanks again!

Ron
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM

Hi all
Not much for tonight other than the joining of the fuselage segments from the cockpit back. There is no way this side of Viking hell I am going to attain mastery over the butt joint. Everything was converted to strip. This will cause a few issues with the cockpit walls (they're inserts) and the cockpit floor, seats etc. I really don't anticipate any problems in the end. Everything fit without a flaw. Every panel line came together perfectly.The cockpit interior is just sitting inside for a look-see in the pictures. This is definitely one of Marek's best and most detailed kits. Chris, thank you for this one as it's a real pleasure!

Goodnight everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros17.jpg   Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros18.jpg   Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros19.jpg   Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros20.jpg  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great work!

Wyvern
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.24 MB
Amazingly clean work. Your edges are so crisp, colour matched perfectly, and your forming, very smooth.

I'll be tuning in on this build and your 51 as well.

Runkle
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
gorgeous! keep these awesome photos coming
Chris
Old 09-05-2009, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the encouragement guys
This part of the build left me with a few less hairs. Marek designed this model using butt joints as I mentioned earlier. I converted it to joining strip so the assembly wasn't quite as modular as intended. The first mistake I made was to complete the entire cockpit assembly. The way this kit is designed, the cockpit floor is meant to be slid in sideways and rotated into the horizontal position. Having the seats in place wouldn't allow this. If you build this kit, wait until after you have the cockpit 'floor' in. The other thing that messed me up were the paneled inserts. Prior to sliding the cockpit in, I dry fit the pieces and said hey...that looks ok.... a little trim is all that was needed. No way. Using the joining strip method put my formers slightly out of place so the inserts wouldn't fit. The other thing that caused a ton of grief were the little pieces of paper used to represent slats of wood on the inserts. Because of the way I built it, the formers had to be slid in after the fuselage segments are glued together. With the inserts along with the silly wooden slats, that former was NOT going in as it was intended. I ended up making new formers at 96% of the original size in order to fit. Again, if you're going to build this one, use thinner paper for the slats. I have a feeling that things would be way too tight even if assembled the way it was intended. Now that that stuff is almost out of the way I can get onto some of the good stuff

Goodnight everyone
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros23.jpg   Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros24.jpg   Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros21.jpg   Marek's Albatros CXII-albatros22.jpg  
Old 09-05-2009, 11:39 PM

Thats AWSOME, really nice work on the fuselage, your work is really good stuff, I hope I can build that good some day !
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM

It aint that good f18fixer. You should see the pile of leftovers on my desk! I swear, somedays I have to do things 3-4 times or more. I just don't show the mess-ups
Ron
Old 09-07-2009, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.47 MB
Amazing accuracy, Ron!! Very, very clean. Good work!

Google Adsense