PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
C-47 from FG it is

Bowing to your wishes (and the pile of already cut out pieces) it'll be a C-47 next.

As usual, I started by cutting everything out. L/R labels where needed and arrows pointing forward for the directionally challenged.

C-47 from FG it is-parts.jpg
Parts and more high tech inventory control

Preforming - scored where directed, curved with my selection of round things (toothpicks, dowels, drill bits for precision if needed, PVC pipe ...), and coned where needed. The tail took some thinking - it needs a score line to ensure the transition from round fuselage to the tail is in the right place and to keep the tail straight. There's a dull line on the part but no specific directions for the score line (made a soft score rather than a hard line to preserve my options). The wing surfaces' leading edges are scored and bent on the line, the upper surface rolled/bent into the airfoil, bottom surface stays flat.

C-47 from FG it is-preform.jpg
C-47 from FG it is-fold-curve.jpg

The aft fuselage segment, just ahead of the tail, is an odd design. Instead of using two rings to make a slight transition it's one ring with a slit partway through. This ensures it stays aligned, but requires some inspection, thought, dry fitting, and careful assembly to make sure the slit closes up correctly.

C-47 from FG it is-alignment.jpg
Complex part (no, it's not your eyes. The camera is focusing on Mars I think)
C-47 from FG it is-aft-fuselage.jpg
Squeeze fit with some edge coloring done

More to follow (might even be a busy week - well, busy for me anyway).

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Bravo! Glad to see this one, Yogi. I hope to follow your lead and try it myself some day!

Don
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
You did a great job rolling that tail section. I think that's the biggest problem folks have with tis one. Man, I need to finish my repaint of this thing.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Some squeezin' and spinnin'

With the wings pre-formed, I glued up the trailing edges. After some inspection, that long straight edge seemed a better reference than using the wing root - and the camber looked OK. Matching up straight edges is a lot easier than the scalloped edges on early days/WWI wings (yah, it's correctly modeling how the cotton pulls at the end of the ribs, but it's still a pain to cut and align).

C-47 from FG it is-airfoil-edge-glue.jpg
C-47 from FG it is-wings.jpg
Resulting wings are flat bottomed (easier to keep aligned while building) which is not completely accurate, but presents just fine.

I skip around when I build, working on whatever assembly seems interesting while waiting on the glue to dry (a few minutes only, with Titebond II). So, I rolled up some tires next. Kit supplies inner/outer disks and a tread band. I've never had much luck getting round tires that way (and the tread pattern looked more like a snow tire than an airplane tire) so I cheated again. I cut a 1/4 inch strip from the long edge of a parts sheet, rolled it up and stuck in a circle template - select a hole the size of the wheel, insert rolled up paper strip, apply glue to both edges, and you have a guaranteed round tire with plenty of gluing surface to attach the disk.

C-47 from FG it is-tire-template-2.jpg

Next piece I picked up was the nose cone. Part is a standard band with gores/petals (I hate those). I rolled a curve along the length of the gores first, then rolled the entire part round, then used a dowel with a rounded end (cut off craft paint brush handle) to roll a more complex curve in the gores. Assembly was standard (learned from several accounts on other threads), edge gluing one gore at a time then reinforcing inside and out with a small disk of black paper. Didn't get the marker to completely penetrate the slits when I colored the edges before assembly so not quite a perfect job. I might actually end up painting it if the rest comes out good enough to warrant it.

C-47 from FG it is-nose.jpg
Nose

Time to fade, more to follow - Yogi
Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. I bought it too, and will build it someday.
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2009, 01:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
This C-47 is part of my collection FG, finally I see him build.
Perfect job!

Orazio
Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Looking good
Heres a few pics of my C47 flying
Printed on tissue then spray glued onto wallpaper lining foam and as you can see rubber powered
Attached Thumbnails
C-47 from FG it is-c47-flying.jpg   C-47 from FG it is-c-47close.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I love that venerable C-47/DC-3. I have had the opportunity to make parachute jumps from them in Honduras, Colombia and El Salvador. It is still a mode of transportation in South and Central America. But not as depicted in the movies full of chickens and goats and other livestock,

For the wheels, when I cheat; I use my socket sets and find a socket two size smaller than the circumference and wrap a strip of paper around it until I reach the desired size. The surface is smooth and the glue does not adhere to it. The shape is retained until the glue sets and I don't have to worry of it collapsing under my touch. Once it is set, I slide the ring to the edge and glue the outer skin to the edges. Last I round the edges with my dremel or a small sanding block. That circle template I use if I want to make them out of discs and round the edges.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yogi -- A fine build, beautifully explained. Both you and silveroxide have provided new (to me) and useful ways to roll paper strips.

Gary -- That flying C-47 is wonderful. I love to see paper modeling and FF scale rubber come together!

Don
Old 08-31-2009, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
YES!!!!!

Ken
Google Adsense