PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go

A short interlude between other projects.

Thought it might be quick and easy to make a few small models for presentations - wrong. The time it takes me to build is determined by the number of parts, their complexity in cutting/forming/assembling, and is inversely related to the size (obvious close work issues - I need to borrow KGLala's, Phil's, or Obi's fingers). For the presentos I did some of the simple gliders instead (found on the internet section, Neato Gliders thread).

I had the P-51 printed so, throwing judgement to the wind, I pressed on.

Score then cut. You can cut out all the FG parts at once - there aren't enough to make it confusing later and I still have the paper with the parts punched out to refer back to if needed (not so far). Do label right-left/port-starboard for paired parts (top-bottom, fore-aft, etc.).

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030007.jpg

Everything that needs it get pre-shaped - creased or curved. The little flared edges above the wing slots were just teased into shape by repeatedly squeezing and bending with the tweezers.

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030010.jpg

This one builds the wings by attaching the leading edge. This is required by the design since the leading edge is not straight (can't fold it) but the trailing edge is. A bit of work with the high tech alignment fixtures and the wing is set and rigged.

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030011.jpg

Some more tweezer work to assemble the bits. I attached the wing root fairings at the aft end first, then stretched them forward and secured the middle portion. Repeat for other side. Next, pull into place and secure the front (repeat other side). I left the bottom edge of the fairing loose to float on the wing. This fairing has no complex curve to it, so there is no problem with it buckling. It has a simple curve and twist around the wing root.

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030013.jpg

And there she is.

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030014.jpg

The only "new" trick (I probably read it on one y'all's blogs) was used to close the gores on the spinner. I smeared glue inside/between the gores, pushed them approximately closed with the toothpick, then used progressively smaller holes from a drill gauge to force the tip round and closed. A little press and twist, switch to next smaller hole, repeat ...

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 09-04-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Eternal Member

Ok, for me this is small

I did say I built it smaller? 50% of the regular FG so that would make it 1:120.

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030018.jpg

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030015.jpg

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030017.jpg
At this scale I use plain 20# bond paper. It's plenty sturdy and curves fine, but does require care when bending. Scoring bends is needed (and you have to "blunt point" score unless you are confident you can cut half-way through a sheet of paper with your knife; then again, based on builds posted some of you do have that skill).
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Eternal Member

Now we are just fooling around

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030019.jpg

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030020.jpg

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030021.jpg

P-51 FG: Not quite Braille scale - but as low as I go-p9030022.jpg

Note for next time, print off a screen shot from Google Earth (20,000 ft?) for the base graphic.

Yogi
Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Eternal Member

For all the new arrivals looking for a first project in paper - the FG-type airplanes are a great choice. You get a good result and practice in all the various "chores" except for fitting bulkheads/formers. Once you've got the cutting, folding, bending, and gluing down - and have something decent to show for it - press on to the more challenging models.

Yogi (keepin' it simple myself)
Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yes, I also call that small. Good and nice work on it, man. I've never built a FG model - didn't discover them until after I had been building Halinski and GPM - but it does seem to be a great source of models at a good complexity level for learners.

I recently stumbled across one of the instruction sheets that Wilhelmshaven used to give away with their kits; just basic instructions on forming, bending, gluing etc. They used to have a little cartoon that I would like to post if I could find it. It showed two children in a hobby shop with a man in the background asking for a huge model from the shopkeeper. One of the children is saying, "You can tell he is a beginner!" The idea being to work on projects that stretch your skills but don't exceed them.

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks great, Yogi!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice FG kit!! <S>
My blog: www.ww2fighters.blogspot.com
Old 09-04-2009, 09:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_for_now View Post
A short interlude between other projects.

Score then cut. You can cut out all the FG parts at once - there aren't enough to make it confusing later and I still have the paper with the parts punched out to refer back to if needed (not so far). Do label right-left/port-starboard for paired parts (top-bottom, fore-aft, etc.).
Well you are very gifted I'm just cut the necessary parts or I'm going to lost some piece :o

Your build looks very nice and clean, I've to try some FG in small scale.

Regards
Alcides
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Nice job. I recently built one of the FG P-51 racers - the Samauri. One thing different is that the spinner has no gores. It's a simple cone, which is odd because I thought that John Dell designed both the racer and warplane series. The air scoop was a little fiddly for me. I also mistakenly mounted the wing fairings with the wider end at the front.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
John Dell did design the racer set and the newer set of fighters, and they have the petal spinner layout. Very nice P-51 Yogi, and in smaller size too. I'll have some pics of the My EC-47 up this weekend .. finally, had to fight for my turn with the camera,lol
Jeff
Google Adsense