Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looking good, Hawkman!

Wyvern
Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Thanks Wyvern;
Here is the next batch of build pics. I have all of the fuse parts done, I added a couple of extra bulkheads for sturdyness and to help me keep the shapes better, this is of my own, not because of the kit. Had some fit issues because of lack of experiance of these kind of kits. very close to be ing done. couple of the pics have 2 of 5 "assistants" LOL
Jeff

Old 09-27-2009, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Jeff,

Your tail looks just about like mine. It's not quite geometrically accurate to the aircraft, but generally gets the shape.
I helped fix the tailwheel on our squadron's L-5 on Saturday and then flew it a while so I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like. While I was helping out with the tailwheel, I was noticing a few more of the differences between the real deal and the model, but in 1/72 it'd be fairly hard to fix just right. I think it's about as close as you could get without getting quite a bit more complicated to build. I was hoping to avoid "too" complicated so it would be useful for 1/72 wargamers, if I can ever get the "L-birds" into that market.

Ryan
Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 AM

Hi Ryan;
Well thanks, I'm glad I got it close then. I had a couple of DOH! moments but the little bird is danged near done. I got the fuse all together, cept canopy, the tail group and I am hoping to final assemble tommorow. That is cool you get to work on the real deal! I have to admit that is one thing I miss very much is working on planes, I was a sheetmetal guy in the Regular Army, and OJT'd into a crewchief/Mechanic in the Army Guard. one of the OV-1D's I worked on is up at the Evergreen Museum bout an hour from where I live. I am hoping to see about Volenteering there.
Laters, Jeff
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 PM

Finally got it finished up..... had an interesting issue where some of the glue bonds failed and parts fell off. Used Aileen's regular tacky glue and the quick drying kind. Never had this happen before. Any ways here are some pics of it done.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Stinson L-5 Sentinel build-l-5a.jpg   Stinson L-5 Sentinel build-l-5b.jpg   Stinson L-5 Sentinel build-l-5c.jpg   Stinson L-5 Sentinel build-l-5d.jpg   Stinson L-5 Sentinel build-l-5f.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2009, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hawkman - Great job. I always like your re-paints - you pick some interesting schemes. I'm an old NAVAIR metalsmith/P-3 Engineer/anything else they could get me to do :o) Did you do a repaint of an AC-47/EC-47 at one time? Tryin' to remember who it was & you're the most prolific re-painter that came to mind. Thanks for all ya do.
'06
Old 10-19-2009, 12:36 AM

06;
Thank You very much!! glad you like it, was an interesting build that is for sure. I learned a lot doing it. I do try to find interesting and different schemes to do as I feel that like p*****c kits there are tons of one or two color schemes and so like to add varity, that and I do love to research things too. Yes I did do an AC/EC-47 for FG back a few months ago. I sent it in to Nikki to have him look it over for Chyp to see what he thought of it. Never heard back. I have the AC-47 done with a simple rear floor and internal skin with weapons and mounts. EC-47 painting is complete just need to do up the mess of antenni for it and redo the tail codes. PM me for more info on it. On to the next build.
Jeff
Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Well done, Hawkman! Your construction photos and photos of the finished model are an inspiration to me. I have wanted to build this one since Roman first designed it for Ryan's contest. Eventually, I intend to build the entire series, including your rescue version, but up to now my model-building skill hasn't been quite up to the mark.

Here is as far as I have gotten (you can see failed L-5s in the background).

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Stinson L-5 Sentinel build-l5-06.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks Don;
This one was a fairly easy build if you use a bit of common sense,LOL. It could use a bit more of instructions though as that would help some. I only added in a couple of extra bulkheads and one thing that really helps is to use wing root ribs,they help to hold the shape of the wing, and adds a good gluing surface, and lines up with the mounting part perfectly. I am going to add the extra parts to the model sheet for those that would like them. The next one I am doing is the Ambulance version, which I am going to open up and add the rear compartment with stretcher. After I finish up the pair of drones I started, and the Oprey I repainted.
Jeff
Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 AM

That last one seems like it is off to a good start, the parts you have finished look really good, I like your wheels better than mine. I think it is interesting on how we all have different building processes, I started with the wings, moved on to the tail parts, and then the fusealage, starting with the tail section and moving forward. I then did up the detail parts as other things were drying. a couple of other things I did was to add 4 layers to the tail wheel it self to bulk it up and layered the exhaust pipes, next one I will make it even thicker for half of it to make it more rounded. And I think I will layer up the struts too as they seem a bit flimsy just folded over.
Jeff
Google Adsense