PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
FG Ju-87 Stuka

I started the Stuka Friday night and made some progress. By Saturday night I had this

I decided to go ahead with the pain and do the detailed cockpit.

There must be something about these old German planes that makes me want to torture myself with making the canopies (did the Ju-88 last summer).

I also finished up the landing gear with spats, and some engine detail on Saturday

I think I put the exhaust pipes on backwards. Doh!
Google Adsense
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM

Tonight I got to it and did a lot of work. I built the outer wings Saturday and they turned out very nicely. The center section though was baaaad.

So, tonight I rebuilt it very carefully. It was tricky getting the angled parts to set and stay at the same angle. Once it had dried, I put it into the fuselage.I then stuffed tissue into the wing section to support it and give something to push on when attaching the wings

Using the lines on the cutting board to keep my wing supports in line, I added the outer wings to the plane

These shots really show how angled the wings really are

Once the wings had set I added the dive flaps to the bottom surface

I also put on the paper copy of the canopy, just to see what it should look like. I will be doing a clear plastic canopy for the final piece.

The plastic work for the canopy has been something I've thought about long before I started this plane. I plan to make a mold and heat form the rear glass section. I built up a paper form and put the connecting strips on the outside to make a smooth inner surface

I then added glue to the inside to fill in any gaps between the tabs of the piece

Hopefully this will make a nice smooth glass piece.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Lookin Good :D One of the few FG planes that has stock cockpit parts. I've yet to build one myself but seeing how your's is turing out I may give it a go sometime

Very nice and clean work.

You're on the right track on the canopy. I saw you asked me int he Draken thread about them. I am no expert on canopies in any way. The Draken canopy was only the 2nd time I ever succeded at making one, but I can give you tips from what I've learned.

Of course you got it right by making the canopy tabs out. You should make tha canopy all one piece though as it will be a lot easier that way. Once you are happy with the shape and fit fill it with something. Since I build small I found it best to fill it with 5 min. epoxy. Looks like you built the large version and though I imagine it would work it would take a lot of epoxy to fill that sucker :P The biggest advantage of epoxy was no need to seal it afterwards.

When the filler is fully dried toss the mold in water to start breaking down the paper. Mount it on a dowel or something (I tape it to golf tees in a wooden puzzle game). Heat a piece of plastic over a candel till it becomes soft and a little saggy in the center. Quickly pull it over the mold and let harden. trim off excess and you're good to go

Where I had kept failing in the past was something so stoopid. I kept using plastic from evergreen. It turns out I think I was using the wrong plastic the whole time. It was too think and always melted in the center. I then tried plastic from a toy's packaging and it worked perfectly. That is probably the biggest tip I can provide you Just like how wwe use ceral boxes and stuff for this hobby, blister packaging is another salvage item for it

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see this bird with glass

G1
Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.09 MB
this one also my favorite, love to see on diorama setting....overall two thumbs up
Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 AM

Thanks guys for the encouragement.
Getter- on the canopy, I'm building it in separate sections because I'm going to attempt to build it in a partially open configuration like this one
Attached Thumbnails
FG Ju-87 Stuka-016.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another one of these guys who can take a basic FG model and turn it into a little jewel!

Looks great WG!

Please to continue (I think I'll make that my new sig line phrase!).

Mike
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Willygoat,

You can make it all in one piece and then seperate it for open position. It is easier to pour one piece than 2 for shape reasons

G1
Old 10-13-2009, 07:24 PM

I think I'm going to go for the clay filler mold. Like you said Getter, it's pretty big for using epoxy. I have some, but not that much.

No progress tonight. the First day of swimming practice took it out of me. I'm the weird guy that gets in and swims with the kids to watch what they're doing wrong. Oh well, I get a workout too.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Calling all Sculpy experts!

Well, I did a bit more work today on the Stuka. Not enough to take more pics, but some. I did add the guns to the wings, and I worked on the canopy molds. I am using Sculpy as the mold agent. My question is, do I bake it with the paper still on, or do I try to remove the paper before I bake? I've never used Sculpy before. HELP!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Willygoat, I'd leave the paper on. It's not really going to be in the oven long enough at a high enough temp. to worry about. I'd worry more about deforming the sculpy peeling the paper off before it was cooked.
Your Ju-87 is sweet! I can't wait to see the finished bird
Ron