PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ecardmodels OP-2E Neptune Beta Build

Chris from Ecardmodels.com was so kind as to ask if I would like to do a build thread for him. My first thoughts were 'Man, I've got a ton on the go right now!' Now that I've had a look at it, the kit is stunning! Unfortunately, the Snipe is on hold for a bit ( I'm really sorry and must apologize to everyone that was starting to get into that thread) but we'll get back to that one in a couple weeks or so. This model is a design by Julius Perdana which has been repainted by our very own Ryan Short. What inspired me to really want to build this aircraft was the tribute to the men that flew this machine up until it was lost over laos in 1968. Along with a beautiful repaint, the moving tribute was written by Ryan as well, and included on the 2nd page of the kit. I'll quote the basic front page aircraft description and dedication.

Quote:
This repaint is dedicated to the memory of the crew of MR-2 BU # 131436 - lost over Laos on 11 Jan 1968. In particular, this repaint is dedicated to memories of: Pilot / Cmdr. Delbert Olson and Co-pilot / LTJG Denis Leon Anderson, USNR.
Quote:
The Lockheed P-2 Neptune (P2V until September 1962) was a Maritime patrol and ASW aircraft. It was developed for the United States Navy by Lockheed to replace the PV-1 Ventura and PV-2 Harpoon, and being replaced in turn with the P-3 Orion. Designed as a land-based aircraft, the Neptune never made a carrier landing, although a small number of aircraft were converted for carrier use and successfully launched. The type was successful in export, seeing service with several armed forces. OP-2E is a modified version for use as part of Operation Igloo White with Observation Squadron 67 (VO-67), only 12 converted.
The kit is in 1:48 scale on 11 sheets of parts and 2 sheets of formers. 7 pages of 3d diagrams all logically laid out along with full color 3 views etc are going to make this kit a joy to build. Full cockpit, gunners position, wheels and undercarriage complete this model. I've printed off the formers and mounted them and will start this operation tomorrow morning! Luckily I have Robert's build here to compare mine to School is hereby done and I have a month to go nuts on our hobby!

See you soon!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Ecardmodels OP-2E Neptune Beta Build-op2cover1.jpg   Ecardmodels OP-2E Neptune Beta Build-op2cover2.jpg   Ecardmodels OP-2E Neptune Beta Build-op2.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Oh Goodie!:D

My Drawings
Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Oh nice! Gonna watch your progress on this one Ron. :D
Old 10-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Note that I forgot to mention that it looks like the dome under the nose wasn't present on MR-2's first mission - which is when the picture was taken. There are VERY few photos of MR-2 because of it's loss, although I just recently saw a few pictures that indicate it may have had some further variation later on.

Ryan
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
WOO HOO! bring it on - you looking to further mod Ryan?
Chris
Old 10-16-2009, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
I don't know. I have some spare time right now waiting to pick up some more work as a flight instructor, but I'm trying to not spend it all on hobby stuff. Also, I'd like to actually finish my M-18 and a few other projects. Whatever the case, I want them to be well done, not half-baked, and I'm not sure I have enough reference material for the further mod.
On the OP-2E it looks to me like you just leave off that part it the model will still look "right" since there isn't a large white area or anything where the dome goes.

Ryan
Old 10-20-2009, 01:01 AM

Hi all,
My apologies for not getting going on this one a bit sooner. Tonight with limited time I started cutting fuselage pieces and a couple cockpit components. Unfortunately I'm still limited to cutting things completely apart instead of folding them as this paper is a biatch when it comes to folding and delaminating. It's (the paper's) saving grace is that it has a really nice finish. Ryan, your color choices are really nice. They took a bit to match up with my paint for the edges but all was good with a few new mixes. It adds some fun to the build doing custom paint Tomorrow if all is well, I'll get a whack more done. The pics are really self explanatory. Just some cut pieces, small assemblies and my paint pots. I took a pic of the 1:33 Tiger Moth beside it just to get an idea of the size of this bird. It will be huge even at 1:48!

Goodnight everyone
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Ecardmodels OP-2E Neptune Beta Build-op2-1.jpg   Ecardmodels OP-2E Neptune Beta Build-op2-2.jpg   Ecardmodels OP-2E Neptune Beta Build-op2-3.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Looks great! always like the custome paints you use - add a great touch!
Chris
Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 AM

I promise! This aircraft now has my undivided attention until completion.
I have to apologize Chris for not hopping onto this project as strongly as I should have. Tonight saw all the fuselage pieces cut out with all the edge painting done. This thing is HUGE!!! I literally wore out 3 Olfa blades and those blades are good (longer lasting than Excel or Xacto). I've probably done more edge painting on this one machine than I have for the last four models I've built all together. I did start over again as one of my beasts decided to drool on some of the pieces. I re-mixed the paints again to achieve something a little closer to whats on the paper so I didn't feel so bad about doing things over. This model uses a former on each end of a fuselage segment so it looks like we're doing the butt joint method. I started cutting out formers the other day and tonight I tacked the matching pieces together and finished off shaping them so that they were identical. God only knows how much I hate the 'butt joint' method but I'll give it a shot again.

More this afternoon
Ron

Last edited by Ron0909; 10-24-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: written at 3am and forgot to press send :)
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM

Don't throw them blades away. I work my olfa blades into the ground sharpening them with very fine sandpaper - I find that I have to buy knives more often than replacement blades because the knives break faster than my blades end :P
Google Adsense