PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.41 GB
A bit more progress, this time adding the tail section.

I've concluded that the card stock used by GPM on this model is a bit too heavy. Rather more like US 110 pound stock rather than the usual US 65-67 pound stock used on most paper models. As a result, even when the grain is correct, the paper breaks rather than smoothly bending into a tight round, particularly on fin and stabliizer leading edges. The paper has to be handled carefully. Check the leading edge of the fin and stablizer to see what I mean. This weight stock is fine on a 1/33 large fighter or bomber, but this one-man glider at 1/33 is quite tiny, hence the need for lighter paper.

I used a dental tool that I have for scoring to smooth out the breaks in the paper on those leading edges. Paper is like sheet metal in miniature and I used the spoon shaped end on the dental tool to smooth down the paper breaks, sorta like Leepu on cable TV's Chop Shop, if you know what I mean. However, I used light hand pressure instead of a hammer. It looks OK.

I also use the spoon end of the tool to rub over each and every cut edge. X-acto and similar blades leave a raised place on cut edges. The spoon end will rub down this raised line and sort of weld the disturbed cut edge back into the paper, and seemingly hardening it as you go.

I also made up some angled paper glue strips (see photo for tool and strips). I used these to glue the trailing edges of the rudder and elevators.
When these strips are used, it allows the glued edge to separate tight at the edge and doesn't make it look like someone stepped on it. Most everyone does this, I know, but I thought I would mention it as particularly important in this model. GPM leaves you very much on your own as to how parts are to be attached, so there is room for innovation at every step as to how you make up glue tabs and strips.

The stablizer uses a box spar to give it shape, and, along with the angled glue strips, portrays the prototype airfoil section pretty well.

This model has a large number of unconventional assembly approaches. For instance the body skin wraps around the card skeleton, which leaves little margin for error. The photo on the front of the kit exhibits some obvious boo boos, which makes me feel much better about the way my Gil looks....LOL.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Gil Glider Build-tail-tools.jpg   GPM Gil Glider Build-gil-tail.jpg   GPM Gil Glider Build-gil-tail-section.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the reminder about the training edge strips, Allan. I think this is a very good tip that is useful for a lot of models.

I appreciate your lucid and thorough explanation of how you are building this beautiful sailplane. Although I am not likely to build this one, I can appreciate a pretty model airplane and your techniques are widely applicable.

Don
Old 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Ahem...Don, it pains me to bring your attention to the additional supererogatory (or is that supererogatory supererogatory) use of the letter "L" in Alan's name. I suspect you did it simply to bait me, knowing I cannot resist any additional admonishment of accidental alliteration and other such grammatical "faux pas" you may make.

And just so I don't get off thread...excellent progress and thanks for the trailing edge strip reminder...a most valuable technique!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.15 MB
An elegant aircraft and beautifully clean build so far. Looking forward to seeing more of this one as you progress.

I am going to have to look that word up now...
Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.41 GB
Now for the wings.

Pretty straight forward stuff, even if the directions are in a language I don't understand. I mounted all the parts for doubling on hot-pressed Strathmore board from an art store, about .8 mm thick.

There are two steps, a wing rib and bracing...followed by a box spar, subtly tapered from aircraft body to tip. This box slides over the main spar and the bracing.

This kit has a very neat second wing spar (not really visible here but which shows in my earlier posts), which, when centered on the rib, correctly sets the angle of attack for the wing. Very neat.

I'm building using mostly Aleene's Fast Dry tacky glue. It doesn't allow much time for adjustments, but is very handy when heavily gluing wing spars and braces. Lets you really move along.

Next will follow the wing skins, which I understand are going to be tricky. There's no support for the outboard span on the wings which have a slight gull shape. In addition, the actual wing tips bend downward, at an angle for which GPM has provided a template.

This next step will take a couple of days worth of spare time to cut out and form, so relax. Along the way I'm going to have to decide if I will thermoform the canopy or use acetate sheet.

I'm enjoying just getting this build this far along.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Gil Glider Build-wing-attachments.jpg   GPM Gil Glider Build-wing-brace-closeup.jpg   GPM Gil Glider Build-wing-box-spars.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good and fast progress, Alan. It looks like a well-engineered wing structure.

Disregard the Trol behind the curtain. Meanwhile, I am trying to type "Alan" one hundred times in hopes of getting it right.

Don
Old 11-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
LOL - now he deliberately misspells "Troll" trying to get another rise out of me! Well, it won't work, my colossally cantankerous colonel. I remain faithful to the theme of this thread and once again congratulate Alan on his clean, skillful build.