PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.41 GB
GPM Gil Glider Build

I bought this from the Old Troll at the convention, and am boldly trying to do a build report. No one knows if this will get to completion, but I'll try. The model is GPM's Gil Glider. GPM catalog number 207, published 3/2004.

This is the result of the first day's work. GPM rates this as 2 out of 3 difficulty.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Gil Glider Build-gpm-gil-cockpit.jpg   GPM Gil Glider Build-gpm-gil-panel.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hooray! One of my old "treasures" is getting built. The build looks clean and true so far - keep up the good work!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Hey Old Troll, I plan on building the "old treasures" that I got from you too!:D But first I will enjoy watching this build from Alan.

I wish you well, Alan, and will be keeping track of your build. Looks really good so far, keep it up!

Greg
Old 10-28-2009, 04:53 PM

This looks great! I've wanted to see one of these gliders get built. Looks like you're doing a really good job so far - I bet you finish it!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Ok!

For some reason I like this build. . . ,

+Gil
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking forward to this build- good luck with the wings

Tim
Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.41 GB
Well, I needed some luck with the fuselage tube. I ran into the same problem with the 1/50 scale Marek glider I showed at the Convention.

Here's the grabber. With the Marek glider, the fuselage tube (the section connecting the cockpit with the tail section) was printed on paper with the grain going across the short width of the piece. This meant that the paper's strength resisted the rolling and the piece cracked when rolled. It is amazing that experienced designers who have worked with paper for years don't realize that paper has grain and will roll into tight tubes one way if the paper is light enough, but printed 90 degrees in the other direction, you can't roll it at all.

On the GPM model, it was printed with the grain running the right way (long way of the piece) , but the paper was way too stiff to roll smoothly.

You can tell the way the grain runs by taking a full-sized sheet of letter paper and rolling it in each directions. You can tell the cross-grain direction by how the paper resists rolling in one direction. Sorry for the lecture, but I'm an old printer from way back and paper grain is one of my hot buttons.

There are a couple of possible solutions that I've used before with some success. One is to sand the back side of the piece before it is cut out in order to thin the paper so it is less stiff. 150 grit paper seems to work well and is a good grit compromise between tearing the paper and taking weeks to get it thin enough.

The second approach is to wet the back of the piece and roll it while damp. This is the method I chose. Quicker than the sandpaper method, but it takes guts. But it works even with inkjet printed pieces if they are properly sealed. Careful is as careful does, though.

So I wet a paper towel and went to work. And it did work. You have to glue it while wet which means water-based glues are a challenge, but they will hold with some fiddling. I had one small bad seam area but that will be covered by part of the lower body enclosure.

BTW, the water will dull the printed surface a tiny bit and raise little hairy things up, but I don't think you'll notice once the model is completed.

Wings are next, but now I'm nervous after the good luck wishes....

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Gil Glider Build-gpm-gil-glider-fuse-tube.jpg   GPM Gil Glider Build-gpm-gil-glider-fuselage.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM

The description was scary but the results look like it was a piece of cake. I have to agree with the comment regarding parts layout and paper "grain." It seems like the problems show up more on published printed models as opposed to the electronic format. Perhaps it has to do with keeping the page count down on printed models. Having solved that problem as smoothly as you did, I don't think you will have any problems bringing this little gem to a successful conclusion.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Alan -- Great work on a beautiful flying machine. I enjoyed your gracefully-written description of the build process and the way that you overcame the problems of paper grain.

Also, please accept my apologies for misspelling your name in my IPMC report by inserting a supererogatory "L" in the middle.

Don
Old 10-29-2009, 03:29 PM

LOL - I have checked with those who know and that was the only time the word "supererogatory" has been used on any paper model forum - ever! Thank you Don "Word for the Day" Boose! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, still love ya, Don!
Google Adsense