PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
DGA Caudron Luciole, 1/48

In conjunction with Chris' DGA promotion on ECardmodels, I present my build of the this pristine little model.

There is precious little documentation on the airplane. There is a real example hanging in a museum in Europe but online cockpit shots are not available, so the interior arrangement is notional at best.

I started with the wings using a modification of Gil's method of forming wing rib outlines.

Close inspection of the first photo will show what appears to be the cross section of wire at the extreme leading edge of the wing. It is, in fact, brass rod, that I glued at the fold line. It's purpose is to give me something solid around which I can form the leading edge without scoring or creasing.

I later decided to remove the rod. I think I will make a tool to perform this function.

I left off Gil's rib strips in favor of scoring the paper. With a model this small, I did not want to overdo the effect.

The airfoil is formed by laminating two sheets of 110 lb cardstock together as opposed to Gil's recommendation of foam. Cutting it to size, scoring along the leading edge, rolling the upper airfoil, folding along the leading edge, gluing the seam, and, finally, trimming.

You can see from the photo that the airfoil "box" is undersize to allow for a thin and accurately shaped trailing edge airfoil.

2- The next photo shows the use of a hammer/punch to form the scalloped trailing edge of the wing.

3- To form the wing tips, I inserted foam cut slightly undersized and shaped to the correct profile. With a bit of glue and shaping, the wing tip will conform to the shape of the foam without creasing. I'll fill the seam with super glue, sand to remove any seam and give it a touch of paint to disguise the seam

4- that's the finished wing.

5- I added some detail to the interior fuselage with some card longerons and a bit of oil paint for color.

My next step is to finish the fuselage/cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
DGA Caudron Luciole, 1/48-wing-assy.jpg   DGA Caudron Luciole, 1/48-wing-te.jpg   DGA Caudron Luciole, 1/48-wingtip.jpg   DGA Caudron Luciole, 1/48-wing-complete.jpg   DGA Caudron Luciole, 1/48-fuselage-assy.jpg  

Old 11-18-2009, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Very nice build, interesting techniques, thank's for sharing...
Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking good!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
I like the ribs and interior, looks cool!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great use of a hammer!

Tim
Google Adsense
Old 11-18-2009, 11:41 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Nice work on the ribbing and interior. I thought about doing wing ribbing on my two 1:72 Lucioles, but only did the aft fuselage. I assume from the interior work that you're going to discard the included cockpit? Are you going to scratch build the seats? I see also that you removed the instrument panels... are you going to reattach or scratch those as well?

Looking forward to see what time and care and patience can do with a model as compared to my quick builds of the same kit, as designed.

By the way, some reference shots: http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...uciole&submit=
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Awesome work as always, Major D. You are truly a craftsman, sir.

Wyvern
Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
Nice work on the ribbing and interior. I thought about doing wing ribbing on my two 1:72 Lucioles, but only did the aft fuselage. I assume from the interior work that you're going to discard the included cockpit? Are you going to scratch build the seats? I see also that you removed the instrument panels... are you going to reattach or scratch those as well?
Thanks for the kind words, guys. I did discard the included cockpit not because there is anything wrong with the DGA version; I just like to scratchbuild that kind of stuff. I am going to build two detailed instrument consoles w/acetate for glass. I also have a joystick/aileron bar that I will install along with some fitments....just for grins. I am not sure about the seats since I have no idea how they appear. I'll probably go with the DGA seat and do a tuck and roll.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work, Major D. And a lot of innovative techniques.

Don
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.2 KB
Amazing start, Charles. Can't wait to see the next steps