PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Coanda 1910, 1:32, ecardmodels

Howdy Girls and Boys!

Some weeks ago I first took a look at ecardmodels and it was terrible
So many things I had to buy

The first of them I built is the Coanda 1910. A milestone of aviation, as it was the first jet ever built. It This used an ordinary internal combustion engine to drive a compressor instead of a propeller. The compressed air was mixed with fuel and ignited in two combustion chambers (one on each side of the fuselage) before being exhausted along the sides of the aircraft. The rest of the construction was conventional for the time: A Wood-fabric biplane. The powerplant was installed in the nose of a fabric-covered fuselage in front of th pilot's seat.

During a ground test of the engine on 16 December 1910, Coanda was caught unaware by the power of the engine and found himself briefly airborne.[citation needed] He lost control of the machine, and it crashed, burning, to the ground. Coanda was thrown out of the plane and suffered only from some minor burnings.

During the machine's short flight, Coanda was able to observe that the burning gases from the engine seemed to hug the sides of the aircraft very closely and this is what seemed to cause the fire. He (and other scientists) spent many years researching this effect, which is now known as the Coanda effect in his honour.

* Length: 12.5 m (41 ft 0 in)
* Wingspan: 10.3 m (33 ft 10 in)
* Wing area: 32.7 m² (352 ft²)
* Gross weight: 420 kg (920 lb)
* Powerplant: 1 × Four-cylinder, In-line, Water-cooled engine developing 37 kW (50 hp) at 1,000 rpm driving a compressor, 2 kN (450 lbf) thrust

(© Wikipedia)

The kit is quite simple and I made some changes because the original construction had some points I did not like. The building description is - let's say - basic. Altogether a nice little model in my collection of "ancient" planes.
Attached Thumbnails
Coanda 1910, 1:32, ecardmodels-img_0498.jpg   Coanda 1910, 1:32, ecardmodels-img_0499.jpg   Coanda 1910, 1:32, ecardmodels-img_0500.jpg   Coanda 1910, 1:32, ecardmodels-img_0501.jpg   Coanda 1910, 1:32, ecardmodels-img_0502.jpg  

All my Models can be seen here.
Google Adsense
Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Hello, Claus;
That is a very odd looking little airplane, isn't it?

You did a very good job of building it!

I have this model but I have not yet built it. Now that I see how good it looks, perhaps I will build mine soon.

How did you make the wheels?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Nice job. I am discovering that I dislike the so called "simple" kits more and more. It seems to me that in order to achieve realistic results, one has to put an inordinate amount of work into the model to get it to look right.

I guess the old adage, you get what you pay for, is correct.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meek View Post
How did you make the wheels?
I printed them on transparent inkjet foil and glued cardboard rings on both sides. The effect is ok as long as you don't get to close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
...It seems to me that in order to achieve realistic results, one has to put an inordinate amount of work into the model to get it to look right.
Well, it's a hobby. So, for me there is no inordinate amount of work. Each working hour I spend for a model is a good hour. If the result is good, that's good. If the result is bad ... well, then I have tried something new and maybe learned something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
I guess the old adage, you get what you pay for, is correct.
For money the same is valid as for time.

All my Models can be seen here.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Great job, Claus, on an interesting aircraft! It shows your time and effort - as all good results do.

Photos and illustrations of the real plane don't do the design justice. Seeing your completed model really shows the finesse of the fuselage and the oddity of the wings/fuselage arrangement.

Thanks for posting the photos.
Google Adsense