PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Curtiss P-40C AVG at about 85%

Hey folks

As I pointed out in my first post, this is my 4th model ever and my first since 4 years ago. Therefore, you are not allowed to expect much

Now that that is out of the way, here's a few shots of Paper AircraftWerks's Curtiss P-40C Warhawk AVG (downloadable from ecardmodels). Now, that's about 80% or 85% complete as I still have the cockpit, landing gear, guns and other small part to make. Like all of you guys know, you don't learn unless you actually try, so, here are few notes highlighting what I've learned from gluing this baby together:

1) I used a 250gsm glossy card stock. The instruction said to use 110lb stock but I have no idea what that exactly resolves to (if you know for sure, please let me know!). Now, working with 250gsm is not exactly a walk in the park when it comes to small (for me: microsized!) parts, add to that the nature of the gloss layer, and you'll end up almost ordering a punch bag. At least I almost did. Anyway, I'd love to hear some expert opinions about which paper I should have used. Especially from folks who actually built this particular model.

2) The author(s) leave a lot of the instruction virtually non-existing. It relies on your imagination and personal approaches to figure out, build and stick a significant number of parts. Obviously asking for a 100% detail covering instruction is not sensible, I just think that some parts deserved some attention which they didn't get. Having said all of that, that's my personal observation and I can understand if many were already comfortable with the instructions of this particular mode.

Without further due, here it goes. All feedback welcome.

Last edited by dmondark; 12-11-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Eternal Member

brave using photo paper must say I tried that ages ago and my knife never cut straight through. didn't do a bad job on it do looks good so far, do doing the guns with the photo paper is going to have you using that punching bag a lot
Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
doing the guns with the photo paper is going to have you using that punching bag a lot
Hah! Already rolled the exhaust pipes and as you can see it didn't work so well.
In all cases, it's something I'll complete anyway. Besides, it looks awesome once you're more than 3 feet away
Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice build - far better than my fourth build. I find every model is a learning experience that you can than take forward to the next build.

The glossy paper paper looks good. It gives the model a more 3d look. Personally I use 180gsm card for most parts. Failing that 90gsm (photo copier paper) or cereal packet card. Any other thicknesses you can laminate.

One thing that would help this model is to colour the edges and any exposed white areas. I use felt-tip pens in most cases.

Keep up the good work.

Tim
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Eternal Member

the exhausts, don't worry a little pen can clean them up a bit as crowe says and my exhaustes never look that great anyway. a black pen be good for that and even if not gloss it will look ok since heat damage on exhausts is never glossy.
Google Adsense
Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Awesome! I bult this one too and you did a WAY better job on those wing fillets than I did
Chris
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

I don't have the patience to use glossy paper. You model looks great. I spent many years at the airport and have seen few glossy planes. Usually only if they are new or owned by the bank. I must admit though, if I had a P40, I'd polish the sh&t out of her.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crowe View Post
Personally I use 180gsm card for most parts. Failing that 90gsm (photo copier paper) or cereal packet card. Any other thicknesses you can laminate.
One thing that would help this model is to colour the edges and any exposed white areas. I use felt-tip pens in most cases.
Thanks for the tip. I will go grab me felt-tip pens sent once I finish the model. I may try building the X-15 with the 180gsm (it sounds right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
Awesome! I bult this one too and you did a WAY better job on those wing fillets than I did
Chris
I kinda cheated with this one, tacky glue and an extra set of hands, we held it to shape until the glue dried (around 10 minutes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
I spent many years at the airport and have seen few glossy planes. Usually only if they are new or owned by the bank. I must admit though, if I had a P40, I'd polish the sh&t out of her.
I think you're right. Not very realistic to have a polished WWII airplane. Oh, and I'll take that sandwich now, thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
OOh. Shiney. :D

You did a good job on her, especially with the photo paper. What did you use for glue? I'm beginning a photo paper build now and found that both Aleene's tacky glue and UHU twist and glue are not holding well. I'm using Crazy Glue (that's CA right?) for parts that need to hold well (cylinders) then UHU to attach parts that just sit and will not try to force themselves apart. Build thread to follow when I find my camera.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
OOh. Shiney. :D
You did a good job on her, especially with the photo paper. What did you use for glue?
Thanks. As for the glue, I used Crafterschoice PVA craft glue. An Australian brand but I guess PVA glue is the most popular anywhere. I wait for 30-60 seconds after applying the glue just for it to get a bit tacky before attaching the two parts.
Google Adsense