PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
I think what I need to do is constrain the borders of all the pdfs I create to the 10 x 7.5 inch size. Sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't. I just assume that when it gets printed out the computer sees that there is nothing outside the border and since the border is a certain size as long as you print 1:1 you won't have a problem. But I guess my copy of Corel Draw is getting old enough and the new updates of adobe reader will not get along so nicely.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
My suspicions were right Will. It was printed too big. When I reprinted in Photoshop, it came out a better fit. I got shots of it, but I'll upload those tomorrow.

Regarding the software print thing, I think if I had printed everything through Adobe it would have fit. I know that frame I printed through Photoshop because it was open at the time I wanted to print. When I got the wing skins I printed through Adobe Reader thinking that since it had the blue border it would be okay. The difference was slight...not much.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 PM

Okay, as promised...the photos of getting the wing skin matched just right. As mentioned in the previous post, for some reason the skin had printed the first time in a slightly larger scale...now that I have it worked out, look how she fits. Only thing I have now is the peeking of the yellow formers underneath which are going to need to be trimmed back.

Close up of where the flap will attach
Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8478.jpg

showing the wheel well and no more white peeking out.
Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8479.jpg

Top side.
Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8480.jpg
Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey, 3Turner, what paper are you using for the skins? It looks metallic in the pics.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM

It is a cardstock that I found at Office Depot in their copy services department. They sell by the sheet. Its almost metallic like the Red River photo paper which Billy used in his B58 Hustler build, just less shiney HAHA! It has more of a graphite rub finish, kinda dull. Billy said that the Red River photo paper was thin enough to show the imperfections of the formers, but thicker that normal paper. This cardstock I'm using is similar in thickness to the cardstock I buy at walmart...over 100lb stock...120 I think. And so far has been forming well and no showing the formers below. Only draw back I had was sticking the card to itself. Held it together a little longer because its pretty smooth and glue was not sticking at first. I am using Aleene's tackey in gold bottle.

Gonna try to get the other wing and some of the nose on tonight.
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 PM

It looks like I might have to move the notches for the flaps. The frame should be the correct portion and the wing skin redesigned to fit the frame. Perhaps I should wait till Colin gets this far. You did say that you were going to add another piece of paper onto the back of the spar (the new additions for the flaps that I sent) and maybe that caused some problems.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 PM

I goofed

Just went back and took a closer look at the 3d model and it looks like i goofed, the outer 2 cutouts in the wing skin for the flap hinges are off by at least 1/3 the width of the cutout. Sorry about that I'll try and get the new parts out tommorrow (really tired tonight).

edit: Robert don't bother ripping the skin off. It is not going to be very visible at all and shouldn't affect anything else.

Last edited by Willja67; 03-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willja67 View Post
It looks like I might have to move the notches for the flaps. The frame should be the correct portion and the wing skin redesigned to fit the frame. Perhaps I should wait till Colin gets this far. You did say that you were going to add another piece of paper onto the back of the spar (the new additions for the flaps that I sent) and maybe that caused some problems.
The notches of the flap were only slightly off when I got the wing skin the correct size.

Here is a shot of a close up and overall shot of the plain paper printout I put on top of the wing spar to line up the notches. Notice on the close up that I used the wing spar on the fuselage to line up the notches...then trimmed off the edge of the paper which is closer to the wing tip. I think the redesign lined up real well.
Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8345.jpg

Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8345_crop.jpg
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willja67 View Post
Just went back and took a closer look at the 3d model and it looks like i goofed, the outer 2 cutouts in the wing skin for the flap hinges are off by at least 1/3 the width of the cutout. Sorry about that I'll try and get the new parts out tommorrow (really tired tonight).

edit: Robert don't bother ripping the skin off. It is not going to be very visible at all and shouldn't affect anything else.
Okay Will. Here are a couple shots of the hinges for the flaps. Left wing first and then right wing. On the left wing, the skin fit rather well, just the hinge on the inside was a little off. The right wing however, I had to trim that smallest vertical bit in the red circle so the skin would fit and the hinge on the outside was peeking. I was thinking that if those hinges interfered with anything I would just cut them back with a sharp blade.

Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8481.jpg

Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8482.jpg
Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 PM

A small update of sorts....latest photos of the two frames going together. Don't mind the sloppy cutting on the edges of some parts...late nights keeping up with the baby feedings is making me go cross eyed LOL!

First up is the frame that will end up being the 4 bladed version of the XP-72 in that silver colored cardstock; wheels down.
Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8681.jpg

Next, we have what will be the contra-rotating prop version of the XP-72; wheels up in flight. Don't look at the marker bleed of the edging...colored pencils were just not cutting it. The markers were working better until some of the spots started bleeding in.
Will Aldridge's XP-72 Super T-bolt (2 frames)-img_8684.jpg

I'm continuing on tonight with the bottom half of the fuselage and hopefully working on towards the tail also.
Google Adsense