PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Rubén's Fokker Triplane in 1:24 Scale

Hi all WW1 aviation buffs,

I will try to add some modest detailing to Rubén Andrés Martínez' already very fine Fokker DR.1 triplane model. I am starting on his latest 2.0 version, with upgraded 3-D color graphics. You will find the model here in the downloads section: PaperModelers.com - Downloads - Fokker Dr.1 (very simple and easy)

I have enlarged the four model sheets when printing them, from the original 1:33 scale, and the scale is now approx. 1:24. I made the prints quite a bit darker, with slightly less color saturation and contrast, as recent historical research of cloth samples suggests a fairly dark red color on Richthoven's original Nr. 425/17 plane.

The excellent new color graphics of this version I think merits a try at adding some more details, for example movable extending top wing ailerons, bevelled wing tip profiles, wires and control horns, bottom wing skids, a tail skid, a rounded engine cowling, an open cockpit with a seat, floor board and control stick, movable elevator and rudder, two Spandau MG08 machine guns, a wind screen, rounded wheels and tires, a pilot step, rear handles, a rotary Oberursel UR.II engine and a Garuda prop, etc etc. At this point, I have not yet decided quite how far I will go. This thread will also be interrupted by varying length of time intervals, as the work proceeds.

Firstly, I'd like to recreate the DR.1's original airfoil shape as closely as possible. I found a drawing of the original airfoil shape, based on an extensive examination of a captured DR.1 in London, published in AVIATION, July 15, 1918:

Based on this drawing, I down-scaled and replicated it to the number of wing ribs needed for all the three wings, the length of each rib being 46mm:

My plan was to reinforce them with thick grey card and spread them over sturdy (wooden) spars at the entire length of each wing. I will try to keep the dimensions as close as practically possible to the original box spar dimensions. This, I hope, will keep the wings straight, as well as replicating the thin airfoil shape, with a rounded leading edge and a slight under-wing camber. Many of the top wing outer ribs will have to be shortened, allowing for the two added ailerons. The same goes for the inner ribs of the middle wing. I also have an idea of pressing down lightly with the fingers on the wing skin, when glued over the wing ribs (at the trailing edge, at least) to further enhance the 3-D effect.

/ Bengt
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM

I continued by mounting the print with all the wing ribs to thick grey card... (you can spot a preliminary Depron-card-mounted test rib to the left in this photo):

... and then by cutting them up to smaller bits with a sharp pair of scissors:

The next step is to separate them further, to make them more manageable, and to rough cut each wing rib.

/ Bengt
Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
What a sweet nice surprise!

Thanks for using my humble model as basis for your work. It will be interesting to see your additions.

Regards,

Ruben Andres

Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM

The next step - rough cutting of all the fifty plus ribs. After that, cutting of front and rear ends to the exact length (46mm):

and then, with the aid of enlarging lens spectacles (the kind that silver smiths use) cutting each rib along the outline, underside first, again with a pair of sharp scissors. Here are the two first ribs - only fifty or so more to go!:

When the majority of ribs are cut this way, I plan to sand them very slightly with a fine paper in groups, and then saw or file them down at the bottom side and thus make the cut needed for the wooden wing box spars.

I won't be able to build or post anything in this thread for a couple of weeks now, as I will be traveling to a neighboring country very soon.

So, until then,
as Dan-San Abbott says - clear skies!
Bengt
Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Bengt, there is a wealth of DR1 info on the web...so you probably have seen this but it is new to me.

Fokker Dr.I

All the best!
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Thank you so much, Ruben, for the kind words. You have made a great model design and I look forward to continuing the work in a couple of weeks.

All the best, Bengt
Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 AM

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the link - I hadn't seen this particular page before, although I have looked at the Arizona Models web site many times in the past. You will find the exact airfoil I am using for this build in the third image from the bottom.

All the best, Bengt
Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Bruce!

As far as internal detailing of the Fokker DR.1 goes, THIS is an interesting page (scroll down the page for many photos of the 1/8th scale HASEGAWA model): Baron von Richthofen, Fokker Dr.1, Le Rhone 110 hp Rotary. Big Scale Models. Historical information and modeling tips.

All the best,
Bengt

Added info: Unfortunately, only a few of the photos down that page are clickable for a larger size, but those who are are really worth looking at.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
WOW! Excellent find, Bengt! Thank you.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM

HASEGAWA 1/8th Scale Fokker DR.1 Model

Bruce,

This photo is rather nice, albeit with very strange colors (that I tried to correct somewhat):

Blue skies,
Bengt
Google Adsense