PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
wow, you, my friend, are truly and artist! And a very good one at that!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just check in here Cmags. Been busy with another (ahem) project, but wanted to say that your canopy can out first rate! I'd be hard pressed to make one as sweet. Well done sir!

Mike
Old 03-20-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Years of plastic/balsa experience when young put me absolutely in awe of such craftsmanship with paper. My hat's off to you, and to all the other superb modellers who participate in this forum.

I'm sure that you know the history of the P-51, with its US-designed airframe and British-designed engine. But do you know why the name Mustang was so appropriate for such an Anglo-American composite?

It was upper-crust slang for an American heiress who married into the British aristocracy.

Best regards.
Problem with that thesis is, when the British first purchased and named their new North American Aviation (NAA) fighter in 1940, it was an American airframe equipped with an American engine (Allison). The British designed Merlin did not appear in the Mustang line until 1942, and then only in prototype, with subsequent production beginning in 1943 with Packard built Merlins. IIRC, the British based their name choice on the wild horse prevalent in North America.

While on the subject, the name "Apache" has been bandied about as an earlier name for the Allison equipped Mustang. Fact is, both the USAAF and RAF only ever referred to those earlier Mustangs as such, Apache being the invention of someone in the NAA public relations department in an attempt to sell the then British fighter to the U.S. Air Corps. When the USAAF finally did start buying the "Mustang" (first as the A-36 dive bomber, then later as the P-51 series), it kept the British name of Mustang. Apache never was an "official" name. The A-36 dive bomber version did, briefly, enjoy the name of "Invader", but that was local to the units in Italy who used the type, and lobbied for that name. The USAAF never adopted that name for the A-36 as it was already slated to be used for the Douglas A-26 bomber, later to be known as the B-26.

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 03-20-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: A guy walks into a bar with a duck on his shoulder, and orders two drinks, one for him, and the other for the duck....
Old 03-20-2010, 09:28 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Thanks guys for the comments. This build has been really fun. A real push of the envelope on my skills but I think it has paid off. Interesting info about the plane's name. I agree with Mike that the plane was probably named after the wild horse, but I've never heard the term Mustang used otherwise.

Just checked the first post. It's been just about a month since I started the build, and its the home stretch now. I've been putting a lot of time into this, I wonder if I've actually got 100 hours into this. With design time etc, I just might. Not that I ever really build without some sort of distraction but a lot of it was dedicated build time with TV I wasn't really watching. That canopy alone took me a good 3 hours last night. With all this time invested I want to protect the model. Going to have to practice on some of my other models how to spray coat with a UV sealer spray. I have a matte spray just got to try it out. Tips welcome.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
FYI, I have used Testors Dull Cote on some of my card models from the WWII era. It seems to work fine, but I was very careful not to spray it too heavily. In my case, two light coats did it. I use 110 lb smooth card stock, so the Dull Cote doesn't really get absorbed into the paper.

Garland
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2010, 12:43 PM
cModerator

Thanks Garland, I have a Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic spray in a Matte finish, but was looking more for techniques on spraying, anything I should mask, and how to seal the details. I know I should have probably sealed the parts before cutting but too late now. :o
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
cModerator

Presenting the P-51D Mustang Old Crow =]

The Old Crow is completed as designed. There are a few additional details that I will still add but I'm still looking for good reference pics. Details such as antennae, pitots, and the landing light. I would appreciate links if anyone knows of such resources. (Know of anything in the SIG, Mike? I did a quick search but you'd know it better.)

But until then, the Old Crow is display worthy as-is. So here she is:

Some detail shots:

The canopy and cockpit:

And some landing gear detail:

Wouldn't normally like to see a bird in this position, but it works well for a model to show off the undercarriage details:

Thanks for watching! :D
Old 03-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.91 MB
Magnificent Chris, absolutely magnificent! Almost hard to believe it's a card model. It doesn't get much better than this .
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Beautiful model, on a beautiful display to show it off... in a contest!

Congratulations for this great report and model, cmags!!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM

It's a stunner Chris! Looks like a Mustang to me, and the base really sets it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
Details such as antennae, pitots, and the landing light. I would appreciate links if anyone knows of such resources. (Know of anything in the SIG, Mike? I did a quick search but you'd know it better.)
Don't know off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's something to find. If not, I'll shoot you some stuff from the pile of crap I have.

Job well done.

Mike