PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't remember seeing it posted in this thread, but I got that insignia from this website:

Seattle World Cruiser - Home Page

They have a lot of History on this, and are building a replica of the one christened in the honor of that town. They are also planning to fly it around the world!!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
I have one from Paper Model Art, Adult Hobby Series No. 4,designed by
Seiji Sugii. Markings are "2", "Chicago", "Air Service U.S.A. World Flight".
It's good quality paper in book form, but I question the color scheme.
It's Olive Drab with the front gray to the back of the cockpits, the wings
are stripes of dark/light O.D. The stars are Blue on a White circle with
a Red circle in the center. Scale I haven't figured out, but the wingspan
is 21 inches.
I have Steam Locomotive C62-2 from the same outfit.
Cheers, Bob
That color scheme is correct in as much as it is based on the DWC that was on display at the USAFM back in the 80s. I have color photos of that airplane, but it is no longer on display.

I wonder if it would be "legal" for MurphyAA to work from a scan of your model if you were willing to provide him with high quality scans?

Last edited by cdavenport; 03-10-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Banned

I noticed a lot of people expressing methods and techniques in the "Maine Lobster Boat" thread, seeing how this one was of a similar fashion, and I was suffering from insomnia last night, I banged out a fuselage for some mental exercise and for the heck of it. Though the Douglas world Cruiser has some rather straightforward lines, the overall shape has some subtleties that make it stand out. This was done up in about an hour of poking around, and looking for suitable reference pictures, so it is a rough work. I wanted to show a different method for making the fuselage, and the next step will be to take apart the fuselage to get rid of the vertical lines the seem to plague paper airplane models. This is just an exercise and expression of some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas World Cruiser?-r1.jpg   Douglas World Cruiser?-r2.jpg   Douglas World Cruiser?-s1.jpg   Douglas World Cruiser?-e1.jpg  
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Quote:
I wanted to show a different method for making the fuselage, and the next step will be to take apart the fuselage to get rid of the vertical lines the seem to plague paper airplane models. This is just an exercise and expression of some ideas.
It is indeed a bit unfortunate that paper can only be (predictably) curved in one orientation at a time so that there must be a choice between say horizontal and vertical divisions to approximate surfaces with compound curvature. I'll be interested to see the appearance of your results in mixing the two.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
The "Chicago" is now on display at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. : Douglas World Cruiser Chicago - Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. I can get more details if I know specifically what you need (I know people there ).

Anne
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker View Post
It is indeed a bit unfortunate that paper can only be (predictably) curved in one orientation at a time so that there must be a choice between say horizontal and vertical divisions to approximate surfaces with compound curvature. I'll be interested to see the appearance of your results in mixing the two.
Absolutely true, there is no real way to go around that and stay within the norms of the process. I don't think I can show anyone of your knowledge anything new. What I am trying to do is break up the lines. In Rhino, once you get a shape, even if it is double formed, by careful separation, you can keep the shape of the craft. That's all I am doing. This was, as I said, done in a semi-unconscious state, and now that I have awakened, I can see what I wish to attempt even more clearly, these pictures are just an exercise. I will get into more detail over at Zealot, if anyone is interested. I won't post in this thread anymore as I am not sure who's thread it is?

I will start a new dedicated thread here if I decide to make this into a model. I was thinking more of making the 'model" as a blank and letting people do their own graphics.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Zathros and Looker! You guys have hit on the central idea I have talked about in other threads.

#1- the way paper airplanes and ships are designed is all wrong. The panels should follow the pattern established by the original aircraft or ship.

#2- Paper IS capable of being worked into a compound shape. The larger the piece of paper, the more it can be shaped. There is an obvious limitation to this. But, I keep on showing in-progress shots of my FJ-1 Fury to prove the point.

All the current designs rely on wrap-around truncated curves to create fuselage panels. Construction of said panels results in a choppy looking fuselage outline. However, in my case, this 1/33 scale model easily let itself to "rolling" the paper to achieve flowing curves.

The term "roll" refers to the process metalworkers use to apply a compound curve to metal using an English wheel. I merely made a variation of the English wheel suitable to the limitations imposed by paper.

Zathros, with your method of design, you should be able to achieve the delicate curves of the original aircraft quite easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas World Cruiser?-fuselage-complete-640.gif  
Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Banned

Yes, CD, that's one reason I like bigger models Models built the old fashioned way had advantages because you can soak high quality and make intense compound shapes. This fuselage isn't so far off. A big more work, then breaking up the pieces so they former anything but a perpendicular to the center line I believe will result in a aesthetically more pleasing, and also technically more accurate mode. I think the saturation of the hobby with simple generic models has it's place but also detracts modelers from improving because the designers do not push harder. If it wasn't for health reasons I would try and produce more, but these days, the migraines are making it hard to even look at a monitor. I have thought of making the bulk of the model and just throwing it out there, to see if anyone would just take it and do what they wish with it. All the hard shapes done, leave the graphics to whomever.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Well, since I don't use formers (and don't intend to) I'm kind of limited as to how I can design a fuselage.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Well, since I don't use formers (and don't intend to) I'm kind of limited as to how I can design a fuselage.
Not really, this has nothing to do with making surfaces with formers. Using formers gives you a far more accurate model than lofting, but you can still do the same thing. If you "Extrude a Line,/Along Curve", you can make really nice cutting tools. Since they have no thickness, by using the "Split" Command, you can slice and dice your surfaces in any matter you wish. This has nothing to do with how you form the surface, it has to do how you use the surface you formed. That models cannot be accurately formed by using only lofting commands is a given, but that is a different issue altogether.

You can in fact use the Panel Lines you make, (so well, by the way), as cutting tools, and have your models go together however you wish. Theoretically, you could have someone make a fuselage, all white, then attach the surfaces you made by cutting them with panel lines, and end up with a plane in which the seams don't show at all. Since you have Rhino also, it would actually be very easy, and since you are great at making panel lines, there could be no better potential.

The only limits you have on how you make a fuselage are self imposed. Since you aren't trying to sell Halinski level models, and your prices are so reasonable, anyone expecting that would be foolish. This process however could make any model more aesthetically pleasing. Frankly, that the "Halinski type companies don't do this is really quite obnoxious, considering their prices. Some of the models built have quite a high level of expertise poured into them, but nothing hides the lines of the sections. It's an old way of thinking.
Google Adsense