PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
I've seen it on another Mustang recently, one of the FG Mustangs if I remember correctly, where the builder reprinted the model on plain bond paper, and cut out the insignia and applied them like decals. Especially the stars and bars. Gives them a proper white color rather than metallic. Could probably do the same with the D-Day stripes and other graphics. Just a thought.

Other than that, this is looking great! All these warbird Mustangs are really making me want to build another, proper era version to supplement my Old Crow replica.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
Dave,
I have not experienced any cracking of the cardstock when making sharp folds. Then againg, I have only used the silver cardstock on 2 models. This one and one of the XP-72 versions. But you are right about the color printed on. It comes out very light, when I cut out parts that don't have color in it, it is difficult to see the thin part lines in certain lighting because the card reflects the light well.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
I've seen it on another Mustang recently, one of the FG Mustangs if I remember correctly, where the builder reprinted the model on plain bond paper, and cut out the insignia and applied them like decals. Especially the stars and bars. Gives them a proper white color rather than metallic. Could probably do the same with the D-Day stripes and other graphics. Just a thought.

Other than that, this is looking great! All these warbird Mustangs are really making me want to build another, proper era version to supplement my Old Crow replica.
I saw that thread...although, I think the silver stock used for the FG P-51 was a different stock than what I used....it had more shine to it. That is why I think he printed out the colored parts on white card stock. This card stock is a dull silver that I have with enough shine to interfere with the colors just enough. It really is silver card with metallic or graphite type flakes in it. I think the colored pencils helped a lot on this model.

And thanks cmags . I want to build another Mustang also...but I don't know if I should get another Model Art or try one of Dave's repaints.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The modelart kits have some fuselage elements that are a much better fit than Marek's older P-51 kits.
I really like the better fit of the forward fuselage and the intake/belly area looks a little better designed as well!
I can see reasons for choosing either model.

...but then... how will you be happy without my wonderful artwork?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM

Talking

Well, now I am all done! Actually was a few days ago, but did not get around to taking shots until today. Had some family in from out of town. Any who, here are the photos of the 'ol bird.

Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9173.jpg Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9172.jpg Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9171.jpg Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9177.jpg
Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9176.jpg Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9175.jpg Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9174.jpg Model Art P-51 D Sky Bouncer/Winifred-img_9178.jpg

I was not too happy on how the canopy came out. The new mold material I tried messed up on me when I tried drying it faster than what it was designed for....air drying.
Google Adsense

Tags
model art, p-51, repaint, sky bouncer