PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Aargh! I was afraid this would happen - now I suppose I'll actually have to finish this thing!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTroll View Post
Aargh! I was afraid this would happen - now I suppose I'll actually have to finish this thing!
You say that like it's a bad thing

:D
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM

LOL - not a bad thing, but if I have a reputation for anything, it's for not finishing things. I really have to find my paints before going too much farther though - there are already too many edges that need coloring!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I've read really good things about the Staedtler watercolor markers. The problem is that they are mail order only, and one set of 8 is going to kill my model budget for a whole month - so I'm debating just doing the combination sharpee / acrylic paint thing or breaking down and ordering a set to see how I like them.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
I've read really good things about the Staedtler watercolor markers. The problem is that they are mail order only, and one set of 8 is going to kill my model budget for a whole month - so I'm debating just doing the combination sharpee / acrylic paint thing or breaking down and ordering a set to see how I like them.
I use a somewhat expensive but a very effective way to color edges. Before I start a build, I take the model booklet to a local hobby shop and find the corresponding paint (for Ju-52 it was all RLM light blue, RLM dark green, etc). Then for touch ups I thin the paint about 2:1~3:1 so that it is as thin as water, but still has a solid color (this step applies only to enamels). Then, with a pin, I apply small amounts of paint from the back (and not the side) of the paper, right on the edge. Small amount at a time is the key to avoid mess and bleed-through. The paint soaks into the paper and gives me nicely colored edges that don't wear off. Sometimes if the color doesn't match 100%, I will lighten it with a little bit of white. The touch up is not as noticeable if the colors are a bit lighter than in the original, but very noticeable if the colors are darker. In close up pictures I've taken of my models, the lighter colored edges sometimes seem almost white but that's a light reflection. In real life you can't see the difference.
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2007, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
That's one good reason to have build threads! It keeps you going!

Quote:
Old 07-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
I love this plane. Great Star.

Quote:
Could you continue with the build, please? :D
Old 07-21-2007, 03:38 PM

First a little advice for model designers...just because it was on the real thing doesn't mean you have to include it on the model! And if it was already too small for a gorilla-fist to assemble, please don't break it down to 10 seperate pieces! So endeth the rant.

The flight crew area is pretty much done and I made a good dent in the flight engineer/gunner area. The seat attached to the rear bulkhead by the ammo box is actually intended to be moveable, swiveling at both the bulkhead mount and under the seat. That exceeded my "level of effort" scale and I just made it a fixed item. I must take a break from this beast for a few days and will seek refuge in the Polish church I am also working on.

I still need to find my paints - my watercolor pencils are not happy with the semi-glossy paper on which this model is printed
Attached Thumbnails
Orlik Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79 1:33-sm79-04.jpg   Orlik Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79 1:33-sm79-05.jpg   Orlik Savoia-Marchetti S.M.79 1:33-sm79-06.jpg  
Old 07-21-2007, 04:59 PM

Nice looking cockpit! What, you don't like putting tiny pieces together that will most likely not be seen? Ok, take the easy way out! :D Great job!
Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Oh, now I understand your model is printed on semi glossy paper and water color is matt.
I think cut edges width is only 0.1mm and even painted with matt color it will not stand out.... as the case may be....
Google Adsense