PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Fiddlers Green A4 Skyhawk

Well, I still havent managed to do more than printout and start scoring a few parts to my FGMM Ju-52 contest entry. So in the meantime, I will show off a few pics of a FG model I built a while back.

This is the Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, in Topgun fighter school colours. This is one of the versions available from Fiddlers Green. The design is by Rob Carleen and goes together very nicely. The only things I added were some blackened toothpicks in the wing-roots for the guns, and the ariel behind the canopy. I used the basic stand found on the Fiddlers Green website and added in the blue cloudy colour and a image of the topgun patch I found by Googling.

It was a nice, clean build. No real problems or surprises. Plus I love the paint scheme!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiddlers Green A4 Skyhawk-topgun2.jpg   Fiddlers Green A4 Skyhawk-topgun5.jpg   Fiddlers Green A4 Skyhawk-topgun6.jpg   Fiddlers Green A4 Skyhawk-topgun7_5.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Nice work on the jet and stand.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
This is one of the classic planes of the Viet Nam era. Small and deadly. The Israeli Defense Force has also upgraded and used them successfully. This was also one of my early plastic builds from Aurora models. Good work on the build. I have also been thinking of building it but with an enhanced cockpit. So what is next on your agenda?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.91 MB
Great build Tim! I'd not seen this beauty before so thanks for posting .
Old 04-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Thanks guys.

I only have two complaints about the FG A-4.

First, the landing gear is the flat, two dimensional veriaty. In some models that can be hardly noticed, but with the A4, you have a very long and very noticable nose gear, and I find it stands out. On the other hand, it certainly would be easy to scratch build something with the aid of a toothpick, some extra cardstock and a kit bashed wheel. or two.

The other problem is a bit more worrisome- the canopy appears to be just a bit too large. I have built this twice and both times the canopy ends up obscuring some of the markings on the fuselage. If I built it for a third time, I would probably see if reducing the size of the canopy just a touch would help; maybe 5% or so.

Next project:

I really have to get serious about starting my Fiddlers Green JU-52...maybe tonight (if I dont get distracted by yardwork...tis the season).
Google Adsense
Old 04-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great-looking Scooter!

Wyvern