PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
i have a couple pics of the hanger area but they're not very good, and they're of the Akron.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Josh,

Everything I've gathered so far came from this site. In the Akron section it even has a diagram in there that has some info on the hangar, but not much.

USN Aircraft--USS Macon (ZRS-5), airship 1933-1935

If you've got more than this then I want to see it for sure

The assembly of the hull is at a standstill till I get the hangar done.

G1
Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Amazing work! The little sparrows are just mind boggling :D
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter 1 View Post
Josh,

Everything I've gathered so far came from this site. In the Akron section it even has a diagram in there that has some info on the hangar, but not much.

USN Aircraft--USS Macon (ZRS-5), airship 1933-1935

If you've got more than this then I want to see it for sure

The assembly of the hull is at a standstill till I get the hangar done.

G1
How about this: Google Image Result for http://regmedia.co.uk/2010/03/16/hanger_one3g.jpg

They're thinking of restoring it for posterity...

Terry
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter 1 View Post

Scott K did you have any alignment issues with the ribs? Or fit issues with the hull sections?

G1
Not that I can remember. Of course, I built it back in late '99, so I probably forgot about any problems. I'll take a closer look at the model when I can and see if it meets my current idea of "good fit".

Jim and G1, thanks for the compliments, too.

Scott K.
Google Adsense
Old 05-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Amazing build, i dont have any pics that are not online. the only pic i have thats not is of my Great-Uncle in the Akron
Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Hee hee, thanks for that link Paperbeam but I meant the interior hangar of the ship itself. The one that housed the Sparrowhawks :D

Well I haven't dropped dead (much to many's dismay :P ). I have been sketching, studying the one plan and a handful of pix of the hangar and I think I have come up with a solution. I think I'm at least 80 to 85% in the ball park on the gantry work. It's close enough for me to move forward with a test up of the parts I drew out in MS Paint yesterday. I discovered a few minor mistakes that will take no time to correct.

Attached the pix of the prototype hangar. Note the gantry work is a lot more detailed than seen here and there are a ton more parts I felt were unecessary for a test up. I also didn't bother to cut out the spaces between the main gantry work. There is a main outer wall to black out the areas not needed to be seen. Also note the hangar bay door is full on the conversion parts and is operational Again it's got more detail parts but not on this build up, not like they will ever be seen anyway from the underside but I'm a sick monkey for detail.

I just need to tweak the few minor boffs and make a new trapeze that I hope to make swing Hmmmm if I can do that then the Sparrowhawks may be romovable from it to. Then again how safe would that be for the minis???

Speaking of the Sparrowhawks they got a face lift from my editing department :D That does however mean the previous Sparrowhawk build has now been deemed a prototype :P

After finishing up the hangar parts they are off to the editing department to add textures to them.

The only real development problem is that damn bulkhead is right in the way of the forward section of the hangar. I made cut outs to accomodate it but that still buggs me to no end. Structurally I don't thik it's a good idea to cut anymore out than that. Well I may be able to cut more but cannot eliminate it from the hangar section.

Hope you all enjoy the pix :D They are in order of me taking them apart. The 2 long boxes int he last couple are the crew living quarters. Last couple also show the bay door.

G1
Attached Thumbnails
USS Macon-05170005.jpg   USS Macon-05170006.jpg   USS Macon-05170007.jpg   USS Macon-05170008.jpg   USS Macon-05170009.jpg  

Old 05-17-2010, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
Wow! nice looking test build G1!! I have a thought on the huge former issue....and you even added crewquarters...
Jeff
Old 05-18-2010, 05:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Somehow I had missed this build before. I've always been fascinated by these flying aircraft carriers: their appearance, the idea of launching and recovering aircraft from a dirigible, the doctrine for using them as fleet scouts. It was a facinating aspect of Golden Age/Between the Wars aviation and naval operations.

You are certainly doing a fine job on this model and the tiny F9Cs are super. I appreciate all the construction photos showing your techniques for building both the dirigible and the aircraft.

Don
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM

"Hee hee, thanks for that link Paperbeam but I meant the interior hangar of the ship itself. The one that housed the Sparrowhawks :D" Getter 1

My bad...

For compensation, maybe you didn't see this yet:

or this:

Nice project.

Terry
Google Adsense