PaperModelers.com

PaperModelers.com (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/)
-   Aviation (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/)
-   -   USS Macon (https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/8265-uss-macon.html)

Getter 1 05-12-2010 01:50 AM

USS Macon

5 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

Well I've been working on the USS Macon model for a couple weeks now. I've never built an airship model so I scanned and re-printed the printed kit I bought. That was a good thing to as it's an old hand drawn kit with so fit issues. I have a whole pile of reject parts in a box.

All the main hull parts have been made and I've begun to assemble them. I wasn't posting from the begining as I tend to not post till I think it's going to be a sucess.

Aside from it's many problems I'm lovin the kit. The Macon and Akron are the most fascinating Navy ships to me. The Sparrowhawk fighters are also the most beautiful planes I've ever seen to so this kit was right up my alley.

The model comes with 'a' Sparrowhawk fighter. It's a decent representation of the fighter but it has no landing gear (being a later version with it removed) and the textrues and colors are all wrong. I re-drew the fighters in MS Paint and made a couple sheets to try and cover the various color schemes the planes had through their service. I also made sets of landing gear for them. I still plan on making yet one more sheet of fighters later on.

Here's a question, since the plane sheets I did are re-draws of a part from a commercial kit would it be wrong to make the sheets avaliable?

In the future I hope to make the Akron based on this model, just re-color it and make the minor mods required.

Also note the printed kit I got wasn't done in the original silver ink so I woud have painted it anyway. The scans had a weird effect of the colors and tones didnt' match up right making the various sections patchy colorwise :P All the more reason to get a can of silver spray paint :D

I have taken quite a few pix up to this point but it's a bit late here to post em all tonight. Here's a few to show what I've done so far and I'll post more tomorrow. The fighter is all done minus attaching the engine and color touch ups. Only a ton more to build as I want to make as many color schemes and even the no gear versions as I can :D

Later on I want to design the trainer and utility plane to go on the sheets to.

hope you all like it so far. This is a lot of fun and something different for me :D

G1

Paperwarrior 05-12-2010 04:43 AM

This is a great subject! I really like these aircraft carrier aircraft. You're Sparrowhawks are great! Working that small has got to be hard.

Wyvern 05-12-2010 07:20 AM

Impressive work, Getter.

As to your question about releasing your re-worked Sparrowhawks, that's an interesting question. Maybe if they weren't released for profit, then it wouldn't be taking someone else' work? Hard to say.

Wyvern

cgutzmer 05-12-2010 07:29 AM

I would say you should not release them as you dont own copyright or have the original designers permission. You could MAYBE share them with someone else who owns the printed kit. However also keeping in line with the copyright you should technically only build one model for each copy of the kit you own. Of course for your own personal use I dont see it as a huge deal since you are making each one unique for your own purposes.

On a side note, maybe you can try to contact the original designer/publisher with your repaints and reworked models and maybe they will grant permission as its kinda free advertising for them :)
Chris

spgifford 05-12-2010 07:49 AM

I have to agree, don't release them unless you have written permission from the copyright owner.

The Macon looks great, the Sparrowhawks will be the icing on the cake.

Art Deco 05-12-2010 08:10 AM

Wonderful subject! Sad that these fantastic sky cruisers were so short-lived.

Looks great so far, can't wait to see how it turns out!

ThunderChild 05-12-2010 08:45 AM

As always, great work G1! :D

hawkman67 05-12-2010 12:41 PM

Awsome, Awsome Work G1!!!! love the little fighters, I have the same kit and it came printed in this weird metal flake color, the real ones were covered in aluminum dope for the most part.
Jeff

legion 05-12-2010 02:45 PM

Geesh, was wondering why there was a ship style name in the Aviation section...

And that is beyond Braille scale...

Scott K 05-12-2010 03:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I believe my copy of this kit is one of the originals. All parts were printed in black outline on metallic finish paper except for the background history, markings, and Sparrowhawk fighter. Those were printed in black outline on one sheet of standard copy paper. The cover and instructions were back-to-back on a sheet of blue cardstock. I didn't have a scanner at the time, so copied the sheets on a copier set to a light setting. The results were not pretty. I decided to build a copy anyway, as a test. It wasn't 'til later that I realized I could try painting the model with silver paper paint. The results were better than I expected. I thought the brush marks made the model surface look like doped fabric. I never did get around to finishing the model, it still lacks engines and the rest of it's radiators. maybe this thread will give me the inspiration I need to finally dig out the remaining parts and finish it up!

(Poor) Pix below. Has it really been over 10 years since I started this?

Scott K.

btw, that's Zio Prudenzio's Auster, and a b&w FG C-47 with the painted Macon.