PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Oh come on....
Who doesn't like a nice F4 Phantom with those two engines roaring accross the sky?
The F4 is proof positive that ANYTHING can fly if you put big enough engines on it.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 206.32 MB
Why do you think the F4 is nicknamed the "Rhino"? It's big, gray (usually), slow to get moving. But when it's going, it's very hard to stop and can dish out some punishment.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Flogger

The Mig-27 Flogger was built to counter the F-4, ie build a Phantom and then some..
Flogger was the NATO code for it, and it came from the acronym Flying Lump Of Guns.
As a nipper I was given an F-4 kit and I remember that three quarters of the kit was just weapons variants.
F-4, SR-71.. Old School "Does what it says on the tin" weapons of war
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.89 MB
We of the 104 religion held it as an article of faith that the F-4 was naught other than 2 Starfighter wrecks welded together...
Old 05-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
100,000 rivets flying in loose formation!

But the sound of a pair of J-79s can really make the ground rumble.

Commonly seeing two F-4 s taking off (always with afterburners) in formation at night is one of my memories that had to be lived and cannot be adequately described.

Rick! It is a good thing there were so many 104 wrecks that needed to be welded together. :p
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.11 MB
I worked on Phantoms for a number of years in the RAF (mainly 29(F) Squadron at Coningsby). I'd love to get hold of a decent F-4M model.

Whats the easiest way to get a Starfighter ?
Buy a field anywhere in Germany and wait ...
Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.89 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim G View Post
Rick! It is a good thing there were so many 104 wrecks that needed to be welded together. :p
We were green before green was cool...the Phantom was a useful if not so pretty recycling project...<g>

We did lose just over half the fleet in 25 years of service, but you have to recall that the 104 in Canadian service spent most of it's time down in the weeds at 50ft and just under mach 1. Not a forgiving enviroment.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieferRhys View Post
The Mig-27 Flogger was built to counter the F-4, ie build a Phantom and then some..
Flogger was the NATO code for it, and it came from the acronym Flying Lump Of Guns.
The MiG-27 Flogger was a ground attack version of the MiG-23 Flogger. It was the MiG-23 which was designed as a counter to the F-4 Phantom II. There was a ground attack version of the MiG-23 also, which had a similar nose to the -27, the easiest way to tell the two apart is by the inlet. The -23 had a rectangular, split inlet, while the -27 had a smaller, fixed inlet. Look closely at the inlet of the Flogger in question. If the inlet is large and a portion of the upper edge covers a slight amount of the canopy, it is a MiG-23.

The first time I met an F-4 face-to-face, was when the 43rd Tactical Fighter Squadron had moved from Tyndall AFB, Florida, to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska in 1970. The F-4Es of the 43rd replaced the F-102 which had been "top defense" for years in Alaska. I was in one of the first R-5 refueling trucks dispatched to gas them upon their arrival.

After setting up for the transfer, the crew chief was busy, so I decided to get a good look at the aircraft. I walked around the fighter, peering into every nook and cranny and running my hand over the skin. When I got around to the opposite side of the aircraft, the pilot, who was finishing some paperwork, turned to me and said, "First 'Double Ugly' you've seen?"

I said, "Yes, sir...she's a beaut." He then said, "Yeah, but she handles like a brute. Want to see the cockpit?"

I couldn't turn that down and after climbing the ladder and looking around for a few minutes, the crew chief yelled up that he was ready to receive fuel. I climbed down, went over to my truck and proceeded to fill the Phantom up.

I always wondered why the pilot called the aircraft, "Double Ugly." Then, five years later, I had a squadron commander who flew the F-4 in Vietnam (had a couple of kills if I remember correctly). One day when he was bragging about how great the aircraft was compared to the then, new F-16 (He called a film clip of an F-16 and F-4 taking off side-by-side and the Viper getting off the ground before the Phantom rotated, fixed), I asked him why it was called "Double Ugly."

According to him it was because it had two wings, two horizontal stabilizers, two engines, carried two types of missiles and had two "idiots" in the cockpit. Combine all those "twos" together and you get one ugly aircraft...but a damn beautiful one to fly.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 PM

The Phantom is by far my most favorite aircraft. Unigue from anything else. It looks ALL BUSINESS - it wasn't built for looks, but it is beautiful to me...

Ken
Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I honestly don't get it?
you guys think this plane is ugly?
yes its different than many other fighter aircraft, but thats one of the things that makes it beautiful.
From the first time I saw this plane (as a kid), it always looked to me like what a futuristic fighter should look like.
I was amazed at the resemblance to the Gerry Anderson Angel Interceptors.

I think it has a "brutish" powerful look, as opposed to a dainty non-lethal looking plane.
But I don't see anything ugly about its lines or overall shape.

I love A-10s, but I understand why the term "ugly" is used to describe the very un-sleek look of the plane.
But the Phantom looks like a knife cutting through the air.

And if a 12 year old girl (my Daughter) can decide that her favorite aircraft of any kind, is a Phantom...then it must be good lookin'!!
Shes 18 now, not as much into aircraft any more, as she is with Horses...but still has a fondness for Fighter aircraft.
Spitfires, Mustangs and Tomcats being 3 of her top four...and still the F4 is at the top of the list she says!
And she thinks the A-10 is ugly.
Oh...and one of her first plastic Model builds was a Mig Flogger!

Google Adsense

Tags
build, confused, free, pdf, plane