PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Post 6

To give the wing spar and ribs more positive alignment, I usually apply gussets. I took the corners from the parts sheet, cut them off to give four right-triangle shapes that I then glued to the heavy card. Then I cut those out and did a little sanding to ensure the edges were not tapered (i.e., angled) from the knife cut. Then I glued them into the corner of the rib and spar. By doing both sides, I ensure, at least at the point the ribs intersect the spar, there is a 90 degree angle. Since the plane and 'angle of attack' for the rib is set by the notches in the spar *and* the rib, precision in the drafting and the cutting of those notches is paramount. However, due to the flexibility of the card, the plan angle can 'wobble', which can then introduces unevenness in the wing surface and profile. So a single spar wing cries out for reinforcement. I used a bit of CA ('super glue') to further stiffen the structure.

(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5792.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5795.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5796.jpg  
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale
Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Post 7

Nobi's wing design includes internal wing tip 'plates' designed to reinforce the tips and provide some gluing surface. These attach to the end ribs. Since my heavy card was so thick, I profiled the edges to a "knife edge" thickness by sanding with an emery stick, coating with CA, then sanding to a 'smooth' finish. These were then glued to the end ribs, reinforced further with CA and given a little more cleanup. Then I attached the assembled tips to the spar.

After that had dried a bit, I made another set of gussets and applied them to the end ribs. These had to be smaller so not to protrude past the ribs themselves. Note: image does not show the gussets - that is coming up.

During attaching the tips, I was very careful not to introduce any unintentional "twist" between the root and end ribs while trying to maintain symmetry port & starboard.

(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5797.jpg  
Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 PM

Just a reminder

Of what this "bad boy" is supposed to look like...see below. The color profile is from UNicraft's resin model kit box artwork, the 3-view is from a publication of some type, source unknown so I can't credit it (the original site did not provide that info.)

Nobi may have some better references... but the Net doesn't show much info on the SRF, at least at the usual "top feeder" layers.
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-ju-srf-box.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-ju-srf-dr.jpg  
Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
You're doing a great job describing the process Robert.

Very interesting you're attaching the wings so early in the process I prefer complete more the fuselage before attach the wing.

It's easy to me manipulate the fuselage alone.

About the Junkers SRT I understand that was just a study design , see here:

http://hugojunkers.pytalhost.com/ju_ef001_a1.htm

Regards
Alcides
Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 PM

Post 8

With the wing structure essentially complete, I took a 'break' and made up the last two fuselage sections, which includes the vertical tail and rudder.

The aft fuselage went together nicely with my 'overlapping' technique, though the curvature about the rear former was small and here the stiffness of the paper resisted the overlap more strongly.

The vertical tail was a new type for me because the leading edge was not straight and required me to incrementally glue the edges. I did a fair amount of preforming (using my burnishing tools and the ol' palm meat) especially at the bottom of the rudder which had to match to the rear fuselage section. To support this, I created a copy of the part 8b former, with an extension to fit up into the vertical tail. This is aligned to the aft edge of the horizontal tail spar (not yet installed) and will serve as a glue point. I cut the top of the "hole" and folded it over to form a 'handle tab.' This added me in aligning it into the tail part. Since this ad hoc former was card stock and not cardboard, I stiffened it with CA. Once all was attached, I applied a bit of CA to the inside. I've done this in the past, and the CA would usually discolor the paper (darkens it) but perhaps the Krylon prevented it this time as the color was unchanged. Once the glue set, I trimmed off the little handle to it wouldn't inter with the fuselage joint.

You might have noticed that part 13 is missing the spar slots - I just cut them in and Nobi has said it is on his list.

(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5798.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-vert_tail_parts.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5801.jpg   BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5802.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 PM

"Winging it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post

Very interesting you're attaching the wings so early in the process I prefer complete more the fuselage before attach the wing.

Regards
Alcides
Alcides, thanks for the site tip!

Regarding the wings, it was just a whim to do them at that point, though I now feel that it might provide a benefit later for aligning with the vertical tail. Although the nose section has no real alignment issues, if the tail and wings don't agree, the plane will look odd. This way, I can complete the wings, *then* attach the tail at the correct position. Does that make sense?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:38 PM

Post 9

Now a "family portrait" to bring the thread up to date. I have already attached the aft fuselage dorsal fairing to help check the vertical tail joint, which was looking a bit sloppy. However, with the fairing in place, the vertical tail actually overlaps it, which improves the "sit" of the tail. So, now I know the fairing must go on first anyway.

When I do it again, I will include a couple of tabs on the fairing that I can then insert into slits cut into the aft fuselage section. This will make the attachment of the fairing much more precise and provide a more robust glue point (I will do it for the forward fairing section to 'test' my technique concept.)

As for findings reported to Nobi, these included:
1) Part #13 is missing the slots for tail spar.
2) All fuselage "skin" pieces are too "long" (wide?) as they overlap on the bottom seam by ~1-2mm. Example: part #1 was too big diameter if rolled to a butt seam - had to trim, later used a chamfered overlap joint.
3) Part #13 really should have a vertical former (bulkhead) to fit along the rudder line from bottom of rudder to a bit past the spar slot - helps the rudder line match the aft fuselage at part #8b.
4) Part #13a missing label on parts sheet.
5) Include canopy 'frame' on the perspective drawing to aid in placing part #10.
6) Include front, top & side views so angles can be determined.
7) I intend on adding an internal support to the engine pylon running from the wing spar to the engine 'body'. Otherwise, I think the engines will "sag" a bit. This may also require adding an auxiliary wing spar to counter the torque.
8) Recommend a "grey" color instead of black for the panel & edge lines. The black is very stark. In fact, the parts that are red might not need any outlines at all. Perhaps use of a darker shade for the control surface joints to distinguish from panel lines.

Positive findings included:
1) Good perspective drawings and numbering gives clear view of parts.
2) Precision is good, and I have been able to "work around" the excess diameter of the fuselage skins. Parts have been going together well, so angles and arcs are fine.
3) Design allows for adding a cockpit and landing gear + wells without changing the internal structure - no interference results (i.e., the wing spar matches the depicted gear wheel position.)
4) Center line marks are very helpful!
5) Doubled formers allow for good matching between sections...
6) Shape is looking very good, so appropriate number of sections.
7) The cutout 'holes' in the former bulkheads allows for good access to interiors for seam work, shaping and for drying air. (and now, thanks to Ron40, I know they can be used as grab points.)

Thanks for following along. And here's a tip we all can use: don't leave a cold drink near the cutting pad - water isn't good for the ink (note the water stain on the forward nose!)
(To be con't)
Attached Thumbnails
BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale-img_5803.jpg  
Old 05-30-2010, 11:42 PM

CAUTION! Virus attack at site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcides View Post

Regards
Alcides
I just visited the site, and one of those "maleware" pop-up-pages appeared over the main site. DO nOT CLICK the Close button! That can initiate a download to your computer of a Trojan or some such (just happened to me last month, what a mess!) Just close the tab or close your Browser completely without touching the pop-up page.

This may have nothing to do with the site, as I reopened by going through the main menu and the pop-up didn't re-appear. Just be 'safe out there', folks!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Robert,
To further strengthen the wing cut some 1/4" strips from card stock or
whatever paper thickness the model is printed on and install them lengthwise
along the spar. Thus making essentially an I Beam. This not only strengthens
the spar but also minimizes the chance that the spar will make a raised areas
when the wing skin is formed and closed up. Ron
Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeach84 View Post
I just visited the site, and one of those "maleware" pop-up-pages appeared over the main site. DO nOT CLICK the Close button! That can initiate a download to your computer of a Trojan or some such (just happened to me last month, what a mess!) Just close the tab or close your Browser completely without touching the pop-up page.

This may have nothing to do with the site, as I reopened by going through the main menu and the pop-up didn't re-appear. Just be 'safe out there', folks!
That's is very rare. After see you post I've accessed from 3 another computers to this site without problem. Two are from my home with a combination of Antivirus and Firewall and the other two from my work and nothing at all ( I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 & IE 8 ), so I think you have to check very carefully your computer.
I work as IT Professional and a site can't download anything to your computer if the settings are ok. If you want avoid risks uncheck all the download/active X parameters to force always the software to ask you and if possible use Firefox.

Regards
Alcides