PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.80 MB
YQM-98A design and build (first time!)

So I finally decided to take the plunge and design my own airplane. I've done rockets before, but tubes are easy. This is a real challenge for me since I have limited 3D modeling experience. But so far so good. I've been working in Metasequoia (since I'm used to it), and it's working pretty well. Once I figured out how to do all the things I needed to do it started getting easier.

Anyway, the model. It's the YQM-98A. I know, I know. It's not a popular subject, but I happen to like this plane. Since I'm a UAV pilot, I like UAVs. And this plane was quite the technical accomplishment back in the 1970's that would have set the world of UAVs light years ahead of where they were. But the program got canceled and we had to wait another 20 years before we got back to that point.

Oh, yeah, the model. So after about 4 nights of working on this bad boy, I'm done with the basic model. I'm going to add wheel wells still, but I think I've got the basic airframe down. Here's a couple shots for you down below.

So, like I said, I'm need to add the wheel wells, whip up some textures, and then make a good layout with all those formers and such. I think I've seen enough designs and built enough models to know how to get it pretty close to right the first time, but I'm always open to suggestions and advice.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
YQM-98A design and build (first time!)-render1.jpg   YQM-98A design and build (first time!)-render2.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 12:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
That looks pretty cool. The local air museum near me has one of these on display, minus the engine.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Looking pretty good!!

I'm working with a company down here that is pioneering domestic UAV ops and one of the things we have talked about for the office window is a display of various UAV models...this one would fit it right nice...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looks good! Fascinating (and unusual) subject, too.

Wyvern
Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Looking very good. The UAVs, especially the latest ones, are definitely under represented. Looking forward to the great unfolding!
Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks guys. I'm getting more work done on it, but this is still a learning process. I hope to have something more to show tomorrow night. And whenever I get more done, I'll be sure to show it off.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:39 PM

Well, I made the gear wells and started on the gear. I don't have many pictures of the gear, so they are pretty simple (and probably inaccurate). But they will work. In the pic below, you can see the nose gear down there. I also added in the wing-fuselage blending, which is also in the pic below. That was a bit of a pain.

I don't know how much work I'll get done over the next week and a half. I'll be busy at home and then I'm going on vacation and I'm not bringing a computer. But I'll make sure to get in whatever updates I get in while I'm here.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
YQM-98A design and build (first time!)-render3.jpg  
Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM

OK, so I'm back from vacation, and I'm back to work. I got some of the painting done, and I tweaked some of the fuselage. You might not be able to tell much in these pictures, but I'm much more pleased with the shape now. If things go well, by next weekend I'll be working on designing the internal structure. That should be fun.

Here's a couple pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
YQM-98A design and build (first time!)-render4.jpg   YQM-98A design and build (first time!)-render5.jpg  
Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 PM

OK, the model is done, and now I'm ready to make the internals. Here's the final model though. I'm quite happy with it. I think the model will turn out great.
Attached Thumbnails
YQM-98A design and build (first time!)-render6.jpg   YQM-98A design and build (first time!)-render7.jpg  
Old 07-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very nice job on the design!

Ken
Google Adsense