PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Hi Goodduck. Nice work are you doing here with a very interesting film plane.

I have a question: Are you modeling the aircraft in 3d before design the paper model? I'm just asking because some surfaces looks like compound curves.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Yes I am, Alcides. Modeling it in Rhino. Then I'll unfold it in UP 3D. All the WIP images in my post are 3D rendering.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenpr View Post
You have quite a challenge. This plane has so many unique curves and shapes, that when I first saw it on "Porco Rosso", I actually thought it was a fictional concept.
As a big fan of the movie myself, I too look forward to your progress.
It is, indeed, a fictional concept.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 AM

Only the wing floats left to do for the exterior....... ya. Then I can movie to the fore and aft cockpits. Before that. I'm going have to decide what scale it going to be so I can factor in paper thickness. I was thinking 1/24. But now I'm thing 1/18. I don't think 1/8 is too big, could be manageable and I can add more detail to the cockpits. Anyway, I'm having too much fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-17.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-18.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-19.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-20.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 04:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
Absolutely stunning! this should turn into an amazing model.From what I remember of the film the foreword cockpit was actually the gun bay with one gun removed and a folding windscreen that Fio added.The smaller engined version before the re-fit only had the one cockpit and had two machine guns.I am so excited to see how this model turns out thank you so much for posting this wonderful thread.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 AM

Got few more things done. I'm going back to the FineMolds kit for interior reference. Not following the kit exact. Just eyeballing the model kit frame as I go.

Thank you, guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-21.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-22.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-23.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-24.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-25.jpg  

Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks fantastic

Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Ok, I'm going back to the Savoia S.21 again. Take a short break from building the Gundam Hazel. I must have rebuilt the whole model ten different way in ever parts. Always something I thought I can make it better, make it more accurate. Even there no consistency in both comic and film version. Size and shape changes all the time. In one sequence of the film, the propeller changes shape twice. Actually, I think six/eight(?) propeller shapes between the comic and the film. I only built two propeller versions tho.

I watched the film again last night. Must be the twentieth time. But still like it just as much as like when I was watching it for the first time, and I saw some panels under the old and new engines that I did see before. Do know how I could have missed all that. Ok, back to both angines again..... So far, beside still need to build the cart and other small little detail on the engines....think it is IT. I may have over kill on the formers in some area. Guess I'll find out if I need them or not when I actually start building the beta..... after I'm done with all the unfold. In the comic. The Savoia was transport to the lake/sea(?) for test flight on the ox drawn wagon. I only have one small rough drawing of that wagon in the comic. If I can found more detail of it. I may try to build that too. Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Couple more images at my Facebook: Allen Tam Photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-26.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-27.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-28.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-35.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-29.jpg  

Sovois S21 WIP-30.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-31.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-32.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-33.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-34.jpg  

Sovois S21 WIP-36.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-37.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-38.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-39.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-40.jpg  

Sovois S21 WIP-41.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-42.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-43.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-44.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-45.jpg  

Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM

I'm taking a break from the MGL140 to catch up on my Sovois.21

I let this baby alone for too long, not being a very good father. MY bad. But, she got my full attention now. So, the early engine beta is done. So far so good. Some reg lines I don't need, and think I should add some rivets too when come to texture. But, wish I didn't made a mistake on gluing the engine to the nacelle crowning about 1/8" too far forward. Actually, I shouldn't glued the engine down to begin with. That cost some really tight fit to the front crowing and miss alignment on the propeller shaft. I should let the engine free flowing inside the nacelle crowing. That would make it so much easier to close up the front crowing and the propeller can be free spinning now too. Cause, after the everything closed. The engine will sit nice and comfort inside and not going anywhere, special with the legs mounted. I will be sure to take note and not make the same mistake when I do the late engine. I'm going with 1:24 scale, loosely. Just because I think it will goes well with my 1:24 scale vehicles. Wingspan is 17+". Length is 13.8+". Well, I,m off the unfold the late engine.

Almost forgot, I'm not unfolding it in UP3D anymore. Everything from 3d modeling to unfolding and adding glue tabs are all done in Rhino. Goes straight from Rhinio to Photoshop, no more middleman. Not using any 3rd party unfolding program really speed things up a lot for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-51.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-52.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-53.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-54.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-54b.jpg  

Sovois S21 WIP-55.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-56.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-57.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-58.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-59.jpg  

Last edited by goodduck; 02-15-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 28.13 MB
Wow this is really turning out great!!!! Good job!!!
Google Adsense