PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings

This is going to be a build thread on Wills new Military Corsair. I am going to build it with foldiing wings. The scale of this build will be 1:16 museum scale. I will be adding extra's to the model as I go along and will try to point out when I deviate from the kit. Looks like it is going to be fun..
Here goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0209.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0214.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0216.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0217.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0219.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM

A parts main frame

The main frame is laid up on Balsa and cut out. I do this to add strength to the model for the larger scale. All joins are dry fit, then glued with CA along edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0223.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0225.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0227.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0229.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0228.jpg  

Old 06-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
This is going to be a build to watch and learn. Making
it at 1:16 museum scale is good because that is where
it will belong if any of your other builds are a reference.
Looking forward to your modeling skill put to the test.
Ron
Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Looking good so far! Looking at the panel lines on the main wing spars in the gear bays it looks like they might not be showing up very well? Do they need to be darkened or lightened to show up more?

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Panel lines

Will I increased the line size to one point in Adobe Illustrator to test your request, and it seems to make a big difference. This is being printed on a Cannon MP 830 at high resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0230.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0231.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Wing Hinges

Ron thanks for the vote of confidence...
Here is the assembled wing hinge assembly at the main wing root termination point...
Attached Thumbnails
Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0232.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0233.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0234.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0236.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM

Looks pretty good so far Mike except for the piece that goes in the cutout in the rib where the wing hinge is. You have it so it bulges out towards the wing tip, it needs to be bowed in towards the fuselage.

I am increasing the thickness of the lines to match your fix.

edit: And I'll send you all the reference I have on the wing fold mechanism so you can see how everything is supposed to go together

Just noticed something else, you have the gear bays swapped. the section with the black rectangle and white lines in it is supposed to be on the inboard side of things when installed. And you have the main spars in backwards as well. You have the aft one in front.

Last edited by Willja67; 06-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Repairs

Well now that can sure make a guy feel stupid. No excuses just repairs and fixes. Pictures show all.
Attached Thumbnails
Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0237.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0238.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0240.jpg   Will Aldridge Military Corsair with Folding Wings-img_0241.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to be negative, was the mistake due to poor numbering of parts (or the complete lack of instructions)?

Or just a plain ol simple mistake? In any case it looks like it was fixed without undue damage to the model.

Last edited by Willja67; 06-28-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM

No Will it was all me. I was ploughing ahead thinking about the new wing parts and just didn't catch that. Not a hard fix, but sure wouldn't want to make a habit out it.
I needed to clean up those lines on the bays anyway, so it is looking better. I am looking forward to some clarity on the folding wings as I now have only two references to it.
Google Adsense