PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I have easy access to the Albatros at the museum I work at. I can get some pics too. Model looks good so far :D
Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Tail

Well the tail does not look too bad subject to the usual mismatch on the colours the tail support was drafted out in cardboard but in my usual slap happy fashion it ended up with a tissue stiffener for bulk and I used a cracked cocktail stick to match the card support. Put together with Mk 1 eyball and with my eyesight that is hit and miss as well. The wing tips are not so good though.

As far as the texturing goes now that I have the set of screen calipers John suggested to check the spacing I am picking the best side and cutting and pasting it to the other side which automatically matches up the texture. Biggest problem of course is the transfer of lettering but a bit of judicial rubbing out on the pasted layer allows me to skip around the lettering.

This helps with another problem I have with Pepakura, even with a fuselage or hull that has been mirrored the sides never appear exactly the same always one of the darts is different to the other side. So copying across also gives the symmetry required I ask myself why bother to do the mirror bit anyway now.

So far it looks as tho it would be worth bothering to draw in the extra lines required.

Carl thanks for the comments on printers guess I had come to that conclusion myself I hate program errors the come up saying cannot find xyz or one of its components which component for hells sake arggh "£$%^& etc.But it made me fell not such a dumb head.

Don and Willy I shall take you up on the pics thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman Albatross 1/72-p1020410.jpg   Grumman Albatross 1/72-p1020411.jpg   Grumman Albatross 1/72-p1020412.jpg   Grumman Albatross 1/72-p1020413.jpg   Grumman Albatross 1/72-pic_00129.jpg  

Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Eternal Member

fuselage complete

Finally got the nose cone and radome to fit and it has a slightly skewed float

I have a problem in that the "3 view" I used is the only thing I can find showing an engine nacelle with a chin has anyone seen a photograph of one like this or do I have to redesign it as cylindrical.

I have made quite a few changes to the texture already and quite a few to go yet including moving the wheels further aft.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman Albatross 1/72-p1020422.jpg   Grumman Albatross 1/72-p1020423.jpg   Grumman Albatross 1/72-p1020424.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
The one I've been close to just has plain old radials.
Here's a picture of it.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...7/IMG_2203.jpg
Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

You may have found this link. Sometimes if drivers are corrupted they won't uninstall properly. You need to upgrade/repair the drivers first. This link has answers on how to do that on that printer. I hope I am not being redundant.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...898&rule=44016
Google Adsense
Old 01-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

The Grumman is looking awesome by the way.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Eternal Member

Thanks Zathros there was an updated driver on that page but unfortunately I think my aging computer needs a refit and as it is my birthday next month I decided to take carl's advice and get a new computer amazing what you can get for £200 these days. then I will put this one to rights for my grand daughter.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Sorry Barry and other hopeful folks... but there is NO WAY to completely remove an HP printer (or other manufacturer) driver. I know that folks will tell you they can. However, I DO work with the people who write these things (a nightmare) and the people who have to feedback bugs about how they abuse the pens (nice people), I think that I am probably in an authoritative position on this one. You can remove about 2/3 of the cr$p but not all of it.

I've upgraded hardware about every 6 years and enjoyed the ~4 years of good performance that result. I'm close to the time to shed my skin also, Barry. Good luck with your upgrade. Get all the RAM you can afford... and 3D CAD needs as much CPU as you can get. Don't worry too much about the video card since I can see that you don't have the time to play MMORPG or first person shooters. I don't either BTW.

Carl
Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Eternal Member

Modifications

Carl looked at the amount of stuff that matters and that this is my only real hobby and this machine owes me nothing it is time to give it a rest and yours was timely advice mate at least if I do it while this one is working I can take my time to set it up. I got 2 gig of ram on it and a fairly hefty processor I still shake my head in disbelief when I remember I used to build flight simulators, the ones with the high pressure 3 axis motion systems on them in 32k of memory in machine code. I have to admit I never was any good with the high level languages always had to try and figure what the guy who wrote it was thinking about.

I have modified the nose and the engines on the Albatross I would appreciate a comment on whether they look right it is a bit of an extrapolation from the photographs Don and Willy provided. I shall use siatki to build the radial covers Meta ain't that good on narrow circles.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman Albatross 1/72-grumman-mod-noseeng.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

You can remove 100% of anything but it means working and deleting registry trees which could kill your computer if you dionot do it right. The printer software is not in the boot sector so that means it can be removed. Lexmark used to really be a pain but finally cam up with a "tool" that removes all of their stuff. I build my computers, I have neer purchased a pre-manufactured one. You can build way cheaper than what you can buy, unless your talking about a really base machine.
If you give the machine to your granddaughter, reformat and re-install everything, you will be surprised how well it runs.
The Grumman is an all time favorite aircraft of mine, is yours going to be released?
Google Adsense