PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Yet another marvellous build from our Skipper {my adopted Grandad Boats } You did this aircraft full justice, and the final few outdoor photographs show her in full glory. It is with great pleasure that i present you with your 5th trophy from all your crew. Well done Skipper

Grandson Peter
thanks you I am honered to have such a fine crew here. I feel like I am back in the Navy. I thank you very much all you great bunch of fellows here on this forum we are a family now the way i look at it the best forum on the planet. Gixergs also thank you for your candid replies I am honered to meet such great men your all the best that god can put on earth. thank you again and again I am getting a 45 degree port list with all these trropheys award I ran them through my copy machine and have them framed on the bulkhead down in the boson locker. thank you grandson Peter and everyone.

Grand dad Boats
Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Grandson Peter
thanks you I am honered to have such a fine crew here. I feel like I am back in the Navy. I thank you very much all you great bunch of fellows here on this forum we are a family now the way i look at it the best forum on the planet. Gixergs also thank you for your candid replies I am honered to meet such great men your all the best that god can put on earth. thank you again and again I am getting a 45 degree port list with all these trropheys award I ran them through my copy machine and have them framed on the bulkhead down in the boson locker. thank you grandson Peter and everyone.

Grand dad Boats
Hey.... you earned each and everyone - You will probably sink with the weight because you are bound to get MANY MANY MORE.... thanks for being our Skipper, this place certainly wouldn't be the same without you around Grandad, keep 'em coming
Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 10.89 MB
Trimotor back story - I took on the design of this kit in 1981 with a few printing conditions. First, the publisher would not spring for a four color process run so I was limited to flat colors only and in this case black and flat silver ink. This made the colored graphic treatments, interior colors, etc, in the hands of the builder. My preferred method is to use colored magic markers, but, as we have seen here there are other methods that work as well.

The kit was designed before computers so each part had to be drawn and redrawn by hand with technical pens until the various pieces went together perfectly. Granted it is a simplified kit - many things I would do in a more complex and detailed manner today - but it had to be fool proof. My feeling is that if someone tries to build one of my creations and parts don't fit, they will become frustrated and never build another. I remember the first publisher I went to, who had done a number of famous buildings, and they would not allow the pages for the detailed instructions nor the pages for the history of the aircraft, They said they didn't care if anything fit - they were only interested in selling paper.

The second publisher allowed history and instructions but limited color.

While doing the research in the upper archives of the NSAM and copying hundreds of photographs I found the photograph on the top of page ten. Island Air Lines flew daily rounds from the Sandusky, Ohio mainland to the Lake Erie Islands. The book is dedicated to Ralph Dietrick the owner and pilot. The kid in the striped shirt is me. At that time, they sold every seat on the plane including the co-pilot's. I made sure to be the first in line and always got that seat. Flights were anywhere from fifteen to twenty minutes per leg and at least once per flight Ralph would lean over and shout "What's the oil pressure on number three? I would look out the window onto the large panel behind the engine, read the large oil pressure gauge and report back.

Thanks for doing such a great build. I followed it with a perverted interest and decided to remain out of the loop until it was completed. Bravo.

I have no problem with anyone who wishes to scan the pages to preserve the book. Someone can scan and make the kit available to others if you wish.

As for reissuing the book it is not something I am financially prepared to do. I am considering a redesign in a larger scale, but with a larger scale comes greater responsibility. I'll start with the engines and envision hundreds of parts each. This group seems to relish challenges and I'll hope to please.

press on -

Peter A. Zorn
Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Peter.
I have always been impressed with your models and the amount
of detail you incorporated in them. You always made them fail safe
for the average modeler. I will surely be awaiting any model you
plan to release. And a special thanks for allowing the forum members
to gain access to this great model through scanning and sharing.
The financial part of releasing the kit through a download PDF
file would not be very much I should think. Maybe Chris at his store
could find a way and let you earn some money from it.... Ron
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Hats off to you Boats ! It's just beautifull !!!
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Boats,
You have done justice to this piece of aviation history....Ron
Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Boats, you've done a wonderfull job once again! Trimotor looks excellent. And thanks to Mr. Zorn aswell for the backround story. Very gracious of you to allow scanning your model - all I'm hoping now is that somebody actually would do it. I'd love to give it a try.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM
POTW Editor

Well, I have a copy right here, the only problem is that the pages are bigger than A4, the size of my scanner, I'll check my local copyshop if they have an A3 scanner
Old 08-13-2010, 10:17 AM
POTW Editor

Thank you mr Zorn for the story,
This is the picture he is referring to...
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Tri- Motor 1/33 Scale-dsc_0660.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Great pic, thanks Billy. And thanks for trying to scan the works!
Google Adsense