PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Ford Tri- Motor 1/33 Scale

Ahoy

Not a bit tuckered from the long build of my Halifax bomber, Getting excited about this one. here is a build you dont see at least I havent. This is the Ford Tri- Motor First civil sucessful comercial airliner used whne she was first introduced in 1929 the eve of the great depression. This kit was designed by Mr. PETER A. ZORN,JR. this kiit is in book form I remember seeing it back in 1982 at the Dayton airforce Museum. it cost back then $6.00 I almost bought it a lucky fellow beat me to it I went up to the cashier you have any more of these in stock. she replied no sir. we sold the last one they are out of print. I snapped my fingers DANGggggggggggg Early bird gets the worm. Now is my chance to take a crack at it now is my turn.

As to the kit itself very remarkable engineering complete intereir details consisting of 12 wicker seats for the passengers and pilots compartment along with the toilet and wash basin. a selection of airline markings. the outer skins with the coragated finish are in silver paper giveing it the original all alluminum look as the real machine. I mean to tell you very detailed almost like that of plastic.Dont have a clue what scale but I surmise that it is 1/33 scale like that of the halifax. I have apretty good eye to scale. I will get started on this Tommorow in the morning For now I am getting work bench all cleaned up and getting my tools of the trade ready. this is truely going to be a good build

Before Taps i will take the book to my rack and ingest it to prepare for the build. here are a couple attachments of what in store for us all
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Tri- Motor 1/33 Scale-pict0001.jpg   Ford Tri- Motor 1/33 Scale-pict0002.jpg   Ford Tri- Motor 1/33 Scale-pict0003.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Boats,
I'm really looking forward to this build. The model that was
designed by Peter Zorn has always been a favorite of mine.
I have great respect for Peter's designs which were back in
the days before computers and CAD programs. These were
the cat's meow of models in that era. Peter is also one of
our distinguished members of this Forum and I know he is
also looking forward to this build. The models are now
considered collectibles due to their rarity........Ron
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I've got that one and I bought it at the Air Force Museum. If I was the one before you, my belated apologies. Still have it unbuilt so will be following your build with great interest. Just shot some photos of one at the Evergreen Museum in Oregon a week ago. The interior had been changed over at some time to different seats. Here's a photo of a seat that they had on display at the Tillamook Air Museum. Didn't realize how fuzzy it was until now, most of had too much cheese on the Tillamook Cheese Plant tour before we went to the Air Museum.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Tri- Motor 1/33 Scale-dsc_0369.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
I've got that one and I bought it at the Air Force Museum. If I was the one before you, my belated apologies. Still have it unbuilt so will be following your build with great interest. Just shot some photos of one at the Evergreen Museum in Oregon a week ago. The interior had been changed over at some time to different seats. Here's a photo of a seat that they had on display at the Tillamook Air Museum. Didn't realize how fuzzy it was until now, most of had too much cheese on the Tillamook Cheese Plant tour before we went to the Air Museum.

Whulsey
Welcome and thank you, If my mind serves me right the fellow that bought the kit before me had child with him He was bald as peach. I was still in the Navy back then came home for leave. I remember talking to him about models that I built I had a few in display here in Dayton Ohio next to the Kettering collection. A very nice man. he commented on me about my head full of hair. and said he wished he had my hair, I chuckeled back at him well sir all you have to do now is grow your eye brows out and comb it back we both had a laugh LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLlll I still remember that today. No Sir your not the fellow. I will do justice on this and get you started on yours Thanks for the wicker seat picture it will be well treasured. Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
Boats,
I'm really looking forward to this build. The model that was
designed by Peter Zorn has always been a favorite of mine.
I have great respect for Peter's designs which were back in
the days before computers and CAD programs. These were
the cat's meow of models in that era. Peter is also one of
our distinguished members of this Forum and I know he is
also looking forward to this build. The models are now
considered collectibles due to their rarity........Ron

Ron
Thanks sir I will do justice on this build had no Idea Mr. Peter Zorn was a member of this forum small world no error. I will do a good job on this build he will be proud perhaps I can influence some modlers here who have one of these into building one also. As to the kits rarity you corect, I tried many years ago in getting one of these kits I even tried ebay. gave my best salesman ship no soap. Now I finally have one getting ecited in the build all of my tools are ready for more ships work ahead. looks like I am going to be a busy swab jocky. I wouldn,t have it any other way. Thanks ron for everything I get started tommorow.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
And yet another thread I need to subscibe. You keep me busy Boats. Great subject choice and I'm very glad to see one of these Zorn kits to be built. The DC-3 kits appears every now and then in my dreams - I wish somebody could re-print it but I guess there's very little chance for that.

Last edited by Tapcho; 07-27-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Tapcho,
Are you referring to the 6 foot wingspan DC-3 that was
designed by Alan Rose?...........Ron
Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I've always had a soft spot for the Trimotor since building the Airfix kit many years ago - rebuilding actually as it was a model I found at the rubbish tip - really looking to this build, Boats...
Old 07-28-2010, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Hi Ron, my bad, that's the one I mean. Sorry all. The cover resembled Rose's kits covers and thats why the mixup.

Last edited by Tapcho; 07-28-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Thanks to Ron I have that in my stack too... I'll be watching you Deckape..(from the otherside of the Atlantic)
@ Tapcho, it would be very hard to copy or scan the Alan Rose DC3,it's printed in silver I tried, but it did'nt came out like it should..now and then it appears on e-bay.
Google Adsense