PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels

Well, as the title suggests....here is the repaint project that has taken most of my time. Since there is no actual P-38 L digital kit sold by Chris, I repainted a P-38 J kit from Marek after I found that the only differences from the J to the L was rocket pylons on the exterior...all other changes were internal or unseen on the P-38 L such as improved engines, larger wing tanks and a heating system in the cockpit for the pilot.

There have been some minor tweaks of the original kit as a result of it being re-sized to 1:33 from Marek's original 1:50 model kit of the P-38 J. I had to enlarge some formers to fit better and then tweaked some of the skins where there were some gaps from enlarging.

I am doing a repaint of Putt Putt Maru, Blue 100, piloted by Col. Charles H. Macdonald, serial number 44-24843. This plane was Col. Mcdonald's 3rd P-38 that he flew during the war. As per MCAR 11768, this particular P-38L was lost on 1/2/45 being flown by Capt. Henry L Condon II. While strafing a troop train North of Manila in the Philippines, the engine was hit and exploded. Capt. Condon was KIA in Putt Putt Maru, Blue 100.

Here are a couple shots...one of the version of Putt Putt Maru I repainted and then one of the progress I have made so far. I am going to build up this kit and get some shots for the store before I send it over to Chris to put in the store. Hopefully posting it up here will light a fire under my rear to get it done quick....along with the other stuff I have been doing. The other alignments I have to check are the bands on the tail booms and the "100" on the engine cowlings which are placed across 3 different skin parts. Excuse the glaring white edges...no edge coloring being done for the sake of building as quick as possible. HAHA!

P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-macdonald-rev.jpg P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-putt-putt-maru.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
Looking forward to this one. There are some visable differences between the j and l versions. The l used electric fuel pumps which resulted in 4 bulges underneath the wings. The landing light was moved to the leading edge of the left wing. And the gun camera was moved to the left drop tank-bomb pylon. If you'd like PM me and I can scan some drawings for you.
Wayne
Old 07-31-2010, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info Wayne. I already have the landing light on the left wing, Marek had put the landing light there.

I've never run across any mention of the four bulges on the underside of the wing in Wiki or any other P-38 website I ran across. The easiest way to simulate that for me is to draw them in on the underside of the wing if they are not already there....and they may be. There are 2 ovals near the leading edge of the wings for the right and left. I wouldn't be able to create parts for the bulges as I don't know how to design stuff.

As for the gun camera, I remember seeing that in photos...however...creating a part for them is a little beyond my expertise right now . The gun camera was an extra box on the leading edge of the pylon....just drawing a camera port hole would just simulate the camera there without the bulge of the camera box. I can do that if folks don't mind it, but it would look odd without the box.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:00 PM

The landing light is the most noticeable part-the rest is probably not going to be noticed.
Wayne
Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM

That's what I had thought...not easily noticeable. However, for my peace of mind...in this screen shot, are the wing bulges you mentioned those ovals circled in green? I've been wondering about those features since you mentioned. Also, you can see the landing light.

P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-putt-putt-maru-screenshot.jpg
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 PM

Those are them.
Wayne
Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 PM

Excellent....thanks Wayne.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Alright, here is a little update from tonight. Got the rest of the pod done and the wings slapped on. Notice how the wing span at 1:33 will be just slightly over 18 inches.

Tomorrow, I am going to try and start on the engine pods.:D

P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-img_0475.jpg P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-img_0476.jpg

P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-img_0477.jpg P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-img_0479.jpg

P-38L - Putt Putt Maru - Aces Of Ecardmodels-img_0480.jpg
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
You did remember to put some wieght in the nose area to balance it on the nosewheel, right? Looking very nice Robert!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 AM

Oh yeah I sure did....especially since the instructions called for it on the original kit...which you can see on the first shot. And, thanks Ray.
Google Adsense