PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
When I was preparing to get out of the Air Force after my first enlistment, I was asked by my supervisors to consider reenlisting. At the time I was being asked, the 1973 Mideast six-day war had just started and rumors were flying about US involvement. One of the rumors was if the Soviets got involved, US would also and everyone would be required to serve until the war was over.

Finally, it got to the point where I was tired of being asked to reenlist and I said, "Okay...I'll reenlist, but only in a B-52 while flying over the North Pole at 50,000 feet." I figured that would be the end of it. The next day my immediate supervisor came up to me and said, "We got the B-52 flight and the pilot will reenlist you. It will won't be over the North Pole or at 50,000 feet. More like locally at 10,000 so you don't have to go through chamber training. When do you want to do it?"

I said, "No North Pole, no reenlistment." Two days later the Mideast war ended, and a couple weeks later I was released from duty to process out. The day before I was discharged, I went to say goodbye to my coworkers. My immediate supervisor then told me he really did get me the B-52 reenlistment flight (it was to be a check flight following maintenance) and that he really wished I had decided to stay in. I told him I was looking forward to taking a month off from worrying about anything and then going to work at one of the many petroleum jobs in the Chicago area.

Three weeks into my month off, the 1973 Arab oil embargo hit, and jobs in the petroleum field became non-existent. Several months later I went back into the Air Force and was given a different job.

During the two years I was at Kincheloe refueling BUFFs and Tankers, I was able to visit many parts of "The Snake," always in the line of duty, so I couldn't check things out to much. The only place I never got to, was "the cave" area. But I was inside the wheel wells, inside the bombbay, in the cockpit, on top of the wing on the pilot's side, rubbed my hand over almost every part if the bird I could reach, did the same to the AGM-28 Hounddog and have lots of stories of me and BUFF encounters.

But every time I think back to that time of my life, I wish I had taken that B-52 reenlistment flight.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello Ash,

don't worry; many years ago I was building the Orion as a pole flight bird, I had any wishes and ideas .. but no chance for a German guy ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hi guys. Thanks for the story Ash and all those intent on making me jealous :( I WANT A GO :D O'k i said the Cockpit would be complete in this next up-date, but the leaking hands - and now a hole in the palm {the bit that's near the wrist} has appeared So much for the Gel... will have to see if there is anything more that can be done about this - in the meantime i am backing off till the stuff has dried up completely. So here's where i am at with the cockpit - After re-drawing and correcting some parts: 16 Levers on the throttle quadrant {only 12 in the kit} + re-design the quadrant pedestal then re-painting knobs from black to white. Some other bits 'n' bobs all here for you in the attachments. So stay tuned folks, back when the skin makes it safe to continue :(
Attached Thumbnails
The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1568.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1573.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1575.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1576.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
One of my fathers B-52 stories

Well while everyone is sharing Buff stories I'll share one from my dad who worked on the tail guns and radar and was stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war.

If I remember the story right my dad and all the other maintenance guys got called out on a "redball" which is an emergency repair on an aircraft that is ready to go on a mission and has a problem and the brass really wants it airborne.

As you may know on the early BUFF's the tail gunner sat in the tail and if he ever had to get out in an emergency he fired some explosive bolts that dumped the entire end of the plane aft of his station off so he could jump out (no ejection seat).

Well the gunner accidentally activated the explosive bolts while the plane was taxiing out, dropping at least a thousand pounds of highly sensitive radar, guns, and hydraulics 20 feet onto concrete. And the brass actually thought it could be repaired in time to send the plane on the mission!

My dad still laughs about that one.

btw the model looks great so far. My own story about B-52's is that my dad had a real big plastic model when i was kid that he had done a fairly nice job on and I helped to trash it (2 brothers helped). Feel kinda guilty about that now but hey I was only 5 years old.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Hey Pete-
I'm not sure how super accurate you're going with the cockpit, as the windows are small and all, but I thought you might want to see the real throttle levers. They're actually two parts. Here's some pictures of the real deal.
Attached Thumbnails
The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-img_6577.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-img_6580.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoat View Post
Hey Pete-
I'm not sure how super accurate you're going with the cockpit, as the windows are small and all, but I thought you might want to see the real throttle levers. They're actually two parts. Here's some pictures of the real deal.
Willy.. Thanks for those pictures. I can't go really all out with the cockpit, well i could, but most of it wont be seen, even with it illuminated - the windows really don't let you see much like you say. I had considered putting the flash curtains in, but would be a waste of time in the end. I will give it a reasonable amount of detail. Thanks again. Back soon.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willja67 View Post
Well while everyone is sharing Buff stories I'll share one from my dad who worked on the tail guns and radar and was stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war.

If I remember the story right my dad and all the other maintenance guys got called out on a "redball" which is an emergency repair on an aircraft that is ready to go on a mission and has a problem and the brass really wants it airborne.

As you may know on the early BUFF's the tail gunner sat in the tail and if he ever had to get out in an emergency he fired some explosive bolts that dumped the entire end of the plane aft of his station off so he could jump out (no ejection seat).

Well the gunner accidentally activated the explosive bolts while the plane was taxiing out, dropping at least a thousand pounds of highly sensitive radar, guns, and hydraulics 20 feet onto concrete. And the brass actually thought it could be repaired in time to send the plane on the mission!

My dad still laughs about that one.

btw the model looks great so far. My own story about B-52's is that my dad had a real big plastic model when i was kid that he had done a fairly nice job on and I helped to trash it (2 brothers helped). Feel kinda guilty about that now but hey I was only 5 years old.
i know how you feel my grand dad had a super card model of Sydney harbour bridge in his architect office his dad was one of the staff on the design team and me and the brother were playing with the cars on the bridge and disaster we broke it. he never let me and the brother near his office ever again.
I would love so much really to find a card model of it to put in a plastic case and put on his grave really it is my big aim to do that for him as a sorry in a way maybe small but its what i am always on the look out for a card model of Sydney harbour bridge.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
i know how you feel my grand dad had a super card model of Sydney harbour bridge in his architect office his dad was one of the staff on the design team and me and the brother were playing with the cars on the bridge and disaster we broke it. he never let me and the brother near his office ever again.
I would love so much really to find a card model of it to put in a plastic case and put on his grave really it is my big aim to do that for him as a sorry in a way maybe small but its what i am always on the look out for a card model of Sydney harbour bridge.
He'll know that you are sorry.... this is a really nice thought my friend !
Old 09-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Forum Helper

Right guys here's the plot. I have been advised by my Doctor to stop handling paper/card/newspaper until the current bout of skin problem has healed and dissapeared {Pompholyx} When this has happened, i can resume normality - if the problem flares once i resume the handling of paper then this is the cause of the problem. I have been told that handling old paper is worse than new - something to do with the dust. I will keep you guys informed. This is a big blow to me, and hard to get my head round. I promise you this.... i WILL be BUILDING the BUFF - somehow, but please understand that i can't {wont} run the risk of ruining the model i love so much, and especially one that was given to me by our good friend Ron. I beg your patience with me on this one. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Just get better Pete! And quickly. Did he say you could build while wearing gloves? Maybe some nice thin nitrile ones? :p
Google Adsense