PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thanks for all the kind comments guys, keeps one focused OK, now the FUN starts. Please see the attachment. This is to let you know that i have a PLAN for this area. Just because the canopy wont let you see much - and the fact that she will spend most of her life suspended from a ceiling doesn't mean you shouldn't get to see what the cockpit is like..... you will see what i mean.... should be fun Also attached a reminder of what the seats and other parts look like - it's been a while
Attached Thumbnails
The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-cockpitd.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1564.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1575.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1576.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Thanks for all the kind comments guys, keeps one focused OK, now the FUN starts. Please see the attachment. This is to let you know that i have a PLAN for this area. Just because the canopy wont let you see much - and the fact that she will spend most of her life suspended from a ceiling doesn't mean you shouldn't get to see what the cockpit is like..... you will see what i mean.... should be fun Also attached a reminder of what the seats and other parts look like - it's been a while

Ahoy Grandson Peter
Looking good those seats quadrants and yokes look terrific. A good touch to Big Buff. Scince you have the engines done the fun stuff has just begun. The remainder of the build will be enjoyable. Keep up the good work this is going to be something when finished. you might need an anex to house this over size buzzard.

Granddad Boats
Attached Thumbnails
The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-bbowwiimaincopy.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-3.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-popeye2.jpg  
Old 06-30-2011, 01:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
[...] I save all my triangular cuts from joiners and soak them in warm water. When they start to pulp, i mix a small amount of pva {white} glue to the mix. I then mix all this to a fine paste like substance. The filler is applied with a small knife and shaped as i go along. When dry, this is a VERY light weight filler.
That's a GREAT idea! I'll keep that in mind. Is it also useful for making standalone shapes like nose cones or, say, tires?

Great to see you working again on the BUFF, Peter.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:10 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
That's a GREAT idea! I'll keep that in mind. Is it also useful for making standalone shapes like nose cones or, say, tires?

Great to see you working again on the BUFF, Peter.
Thank you. The mix will allow you to make almost any shape - a Solid, or if you had a mould of a certain shape, you can line it with the mix with some over-flow, when dry, when dry just cut off the excess. The pva helps bonding, and makes the final job less porous and easier to paint up. I wanted the front of the Seaview model {see attachment} really smooth, and this is the same mix.

PS. This mix doesn't work with Glossy paper unless you remove the coating - also, you can use old newspaper if you need alot of the mix. The whole principal is very similar to papier mache ! but refined.

PPS. One other idea i tried.... if the part you need has a SOLID colour, you can mix POWDER PAINTS in with the product, this way, after sanding, you get a great UNDERCOAT that wont fade whilst sanding.
Attached Thumbnails
The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-dscf1021.jpg   The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-verybusywaters2.jpg  

Last edited by peter taft; 06-30-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Caution with the laytex. I think I read some people are allergic to laytex to the point of going into system shock. The stuff is everywhere. In paint, the glues, even forms of it in food products as 'binders'. Most food industry gloves are vinyl. Some are stamp-cut most are stretch fit. Could be a food or medication reaction. Try a pair of waterproof gloves till your hands sweat and test the PH. That could well be the root of the evil. Last time I got talked into seeing a doctor I had a real nasty cold. After a week of new alarming symptoms I found all were from the meds. Chicken soup and scotch-on-rocks would have been much better with no deductable. My thoughts go out to you and hopes of a speedy recovery.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Hey Peter, question for ya, have Facebook friend who is older lady in Colorado who runs local paper and she just started having mysterious rash and pustules on her hands.
May I tell her some about your symptoms?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
Hey Peter, question for ya, have Facebook friend who is older lady in Colorado who runs local paper and she just started having mysterious rash and pustules on her hands.
May I tell her some about your symptoms?
Sure thing SWF - give her my regards and sympathy, just hope she gets it sorted out, it can become quite debilitating at it's worse.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
hi pete, this looks like a hell of a big bird
thats a cracking idea with the cockpit lights, go for it!
problem with the hands i see. may be a little help, you were mentioning about the filler mix that you do. this is the handling of paper again. theres one filler i always use 'it may be a tip to other modelers also' if you can get it in other countrys that is. it is 'coving adesive' you know, for putting up that lightweight ceiling corner coving stuff. sticks to paper like **** and sands up a treat! got mine at the local B&Q. just a thought. keep up the good work mate. i'll keep looking in on ya
Attached Thumbnails
The Stratofortress 1:33 Scale-filler-001.jpg  
Old 07-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
Sure thing SWF - give her my regards and sympathy, just hope she gets it sorted out, it can become quite debilitating at it's worse.
Thanks Peter. This is paper she and husband run Dove Creek Press

As an aside, not being in to the classified ad dating scene, until a friend pointed it out to me I was not aware that SWF abbreviation of my screen name, which is my initials rearranged, was shorthand for single white female
Oh well, I'm secure in my manhood, right, Kathy?
Later,
Forrest
who indeed was born and spent his early years around southwestern forests, there are a few, it ain't all stone and sagebrush.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Forum Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessy View Post
hi pete, this looks like a hell of a big bird
thats a cracking idea with the cockpit lights, go for it!
problem with the hands i see. may be a little help, you were mentioning about the filler mix that you do. this is the handling of paper again. theres one filler i always use 'it may be a tip to other modelers also' if you can get it in other countrys that is. it is 'coving adesive' you know, for putting up that lightweight ceiling corner coving stuff. sticks to paper like **** and sands up a treat! got mine at the local B&Q. just a thought. keep up the good work mate. i'll keep looking in on ya
Hey thanks for the tip, nice one The cockpit idea is still W.I.P and defo will be done, i may even get the Anti-flash curtains in there if possible.
Google Adsense