PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
She sure is look'n sweet Boats...I just love the look of a B-24 there's just something about it...
Keep it up...She'll be done before 'ya know it.

Kevin
thanks for the reply on the Liberator. I like the sweet design of the lioberator, the fat fuselodge looks like its arch rival the PB2Y CORANADO. although the B-24 never got that much popularity but it was the ultimate heavy bomber that helped smash the third reichct Thanks Kevin you and I are at the same stand still untill Ron gives us the green light, So the Liberator fill the gap.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 17.76 MB
Thank you that pretty much clears it up . I was looking through my plastic models drawer (all my paint, brushes, etc) and lo 'n' behold...I have a couple of nice burnishers and picks that I completely forgot I had. My paper models are on hold for the moment...damn printer busted and no money for a new one....not even a cheapy grrr. So I'm working on a '67 GTO (plastic) to take my frustrations out on. It ain't paper but it will keep me just this side of the insanity line...or is it just the other side....I can't remember.

Anywho thanks for the info.

Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Rusty
Burnishing is a technique used by us card modelers, as a tool to smooth and work in the joining seams, when you attach the skins together they leave a seam and this seam sometimes leaves a gap, and other times it dont, Once the glue is dried you take your burnishing tool and work out the the unwanted seams untill they are smooth useing slight presure, to much presure will distort and wrinkle the finish and possibly could colasp the foundation of the formers. A good burnishing tool can be purchased at the leather good section in a craft shop such as micheals they have everything a card modelr can wish for nothing that store dont have. another good burnishing tool is found in everyones home a Tea spoon useing the back of it, or a rounded end of a butter knife works well to, thats what i use, burnishing is very inportant tool of the trade in cardmodeling. A must. Dont burnish when the glue is wet you,ll ruin your model and you wont be a happy camper.In this here forum there are a list of tips and procedures that are very helpfull , IF YOUR IN DOUBT STAY OUT, and go to the modeling tips on this forum much food for thought I hope i answered your question Rusty and I hope I was helpfull on this subject.Now turn two and get that thing burnished.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Fuselodge assembly done

Ahoy Fellas

After a long honey do list from my first mate back to ships work, Here on this attachment I have the fuselodge assembly complete. I gave it a long burnishing smoothing out all seams. Santa claus I found the coregated bomb bay doors on the printed sheets.Thank you Fly model. With these coregated bomb bay door they are glued on to the fuselodge sides to represent in detail the coregated bomb bay doors in which the Liberator incorporated.I remembered back in 1964 the revell models releast thier B-24 D the bluestreak which portrated the Poleski Raids opperation tidal wave a SNAFU mission. And Airfix 1/72 had the J version there it caused an excitment directing the bomb bay doors The great boxtop art back in those days, It showed the airfix Liberator with the bomb bay doors open like that of the B-17 and the revell model was corect with the coregated bomb bay doors rolled open. a fluke by Airfix showing the bomb bay doors open like that of the B25 and B-17. But they were truely great kits for the day. Ok back to the build I will let the tailgunners compartment dry for a couple more good hours and i will burnish same and do a little more burninshing, Next assembly will be the horizonal stabilizer and Rudder assembly. Here are the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0001.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0002.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Stabilizer and rudder assembly

Ahoy Fellas
Still at it, Next assembly is the Rudder and horizonal stabilizer assembly, First I laminated the Stabiloizer spar with heavy cardstock and the kit provided one stabilizer rib that is positioned in the center of the stabilizer, I went ahead and made 4 more and installed same.The stabilizer went on with no fit problems a real snug fit, used glue sparingly on this unit.checked for squareness of the joining stabilizer against the fuselodge evewrything checks out good no warps, Now letting this unit dry, going back to the fuselodge again and doing some more burnishing, when this finished i will proceed with the twein rudder assembly these two huge rudders will fill the bill for the Liberator, Here are the attachments of the stabilizer assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0001.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0002.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Stabilizer and rudder assembly Finished

Ahoy Shipmates
Knocked off ships work for the day time to get out of the goat locker. My First mate is pipeing me down on the 1mc, I have a couple honey do list to do, I dont mind My first mate Ruthie putts up with the model bordem, you got complimizie, As to the model i have the tail section done, just finished installing the two huge rudder assemblies. the rudder assemblies each were consisted of 10 peices, makeing 2o in total. Tommorow the next assembly will be the wings and there spars and ribs. this kit dont have that much parts compared to the rest of fly kitsbuilds i done.I touched up some olive drab on the parts that needed edgeing so i used my color pencil set made up some olive draband touched it up before the build is done i will be doing a lot of touch up here and there, My Boson lockers over head is starting to look like the Wright Patterson airforce Base Museum, Here are the attachments for the night,
Attached Thumbnails
B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0001.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0002.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0003.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0004.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0005.jpg  

B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0006.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0008.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 05:29 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looking pretty damn good there boats!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking good Boats. As you have probably noticed the butt type
(no connector strip) fuselage sections on these older hand drawn
models do not match from section to section. The only way to
keep that to a minimum is to put the abutting formers together
and sand,file or trim until they are a mirror image of each other
prior to assembly......Ron
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Boats,
I neglected to mention the best solution is to do away with the
butt type joins. This is done by making your own connector strips
like on the B-17 thus doing away with one of the formers. They
are both time consuming methods. Adding the connecting strips
though will give a more pleasing profile of the fuselage sections..Ron
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
Boats,
I neglected to mention the best solution is to do away with the
butt type joins. This is done by making your own connector strips
like on the B-17 thus doing away with one of the formers. They
are both time consuming methods. Adding the connecting strips
though will give a more pleasing profile of the fuselage sections..Ron
Ron
I thought about that too, I still am doing some more burnishing I am getting it down pretty flush with eack other applyimg a little more pressure, it starts to soften the former tops and side giveing me a better finish. On the fly model B-17 i will do away with one former at a time. I just finished burnishing the fuse lodge once more,m I burnished it for an hour and a half straight without stopping the fuselodge skins are getting pretty flush. this is the only fly model kit I built that the formers didn,t match, I dont give up i keep burnishiong untill I can close my eyes and feel the seams If I cant feel the seams they are flush and dont get any better then that.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Wing assembly

Ahoy Fellas
Here are the update pictures for today. I spent about 5 hours today burnishing the fuselodge, this is the only problem I had so far is the joining of the fuselodge formers,I wasn,t satisfied with the fuselodge it was an eye sore for me, I took my burnishing tool and rubbed it down until i soften the former tops and side, now I have a flush finish, the wing assembly consist of 45 parts, spars and ribs and the wing itself. instead of installing the inner wing panels along with the spars and ribs, I joined and glued the outer and inner wing assemblies makeing it a straight and seam free installation, No problems here with the fit it just slid on like it was made to be without fuss.Tommorow I will have the other wing assembled. Here are the attachments for today.
Attached Thumbnails
B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0009.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0010.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0011.jpg   B-24 Liberator 1/33 Scale-pict0012.jpg