PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Bell 206L Long Ranger build report

I recently got the Forest Shining Designs' Bell 206L Long Ranger helicopter kit. The kit has a one sheet instruction sheet, but after working on the nose I think some clarification might be needed for other builders. This kit isn't for the newbie, although there not a lot of parts, it's slow going gluing everything together. There's no joining strips in the kit, and most of the pieces have multiple joining surfaces. Precision cutting is a must. Without further adue, here are the photos of the build:
Attached Thumbnails
Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2655.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2657.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2659.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2660.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Knife- You're not doing too bad. I did the yellow repaint of that one, and I can tell ya it takes a bit of getting used to. But man, is the end result nice. After a few builds of this one, I can recommend building the whole side as one piece, instead of leaving the doors to go on later. It makes for a more sturdy front corner when connecting to the windscreen. Keep it coming, and be patient.

Oh yeah, regular 20 lb. paper works best fo the joiner strips I found.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the advise, willygoat. I'm leaving the back left off so I can get my pudgy fingers inside the fuselage to press the parts together while they dry. Like Fiddler's Green models, there's no frames, the fuselage takes it's shape when the pieces are glued together. Notice that the designer left the polygones on the bottom the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2661.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2662.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2664.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2666.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2667.jpg  

Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 PM

I forgot to ask, willygoat, but since you are the expert, any advise on making and mounting the rotor shaft? Does the landing skids legs need reinforcing?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The Skids will DEFINITELY need Reinforcement. I once tried to build a FG Huey and disregarded the instructions stating to reinforce the skids, ended up tossing the damn thing in the trash.
Google Adsense
Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Before I forget, here's the link to purchase the kit: ECardmodels.com Shop
Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 AM

For reinforcing the skids, I put a thin coat of CA glue on them. It turns them to paper concrete. I also did that for the skid "legs". I haven't found a super good way to mount the rotor yet, but I have a plan.

Use a piece of wire to roll the main tube around. Put the wire through the top piece of the engine cowling. Mount a couple of cardboard discs under that top piece to the wire. That way it has some tension to keep it steady.

I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

Oh yeah, she's looking great! Are you using any connecting shtrips, or are you butt gluing?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Willygoat, I'm just butt gluing with Aleene's quick dry tacky glue, with the occasional drop of CA to fuse difficult parts together.

I kept the neighbors up most the night with the screams of tortured paper. Part 18 (the top of the part with the N810LR registration) has the cursive instructions to "fold from back". This piece also forms the bottom of the engine compartment. Since is wasn't intuitive how to fold this piece, I started gluing the obvious front section and see what it looks like when I finished. When I went to fit part 19 (engine compartment sides) it didn't exactly fit with part 18, so I'm sure I messed it up somehow.

For the rotor shaft, I choose to use a bamboo skewer purchased from a large package at the local dollar store. It will rotate inside a clear plastic drinking straw. To keep the straw from shifting, I used a tongue depressor cut into sections to make a reinforced top piece and a lower plate glued to the helicopter's rear doors. This provides a strong rotor shaft that can rotate and take the abuse of many little hands playing with it. Also, the rotor shaft is removable for shipment or repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2669.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2672.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2676.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2675.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2677.jpg  

Old 08-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Today I worked on the fuselage tail and rotor system. Once again, the tail section isn't intuitive. There's a red section that is separate from the rest of the tail section. Why? It's just edge glued to the rest of the tail section. Also, once again the polygon lines from the original design are left on, making it a little confusing which is a fold line and which isn't. Finally, the tail section didn't mate very well with the engine compartment sections, I have a large gap where they join. The main rotor gives you two different paint schemes, but either one you pick won't have a bottom side. I printed out another copy using the "mirror" option on PDF. I sliced up some of the bamboo skewer and used it to reinforce the center sections of the rotor blades. I used a small piece of aluminium tape to color the main rotor shaft, and just glued the shaft to the bottom of the rotor blades. Since the blade reinforcement and rotor shaft are wood (bamboo), I can drill a hole from the top and reinforce the joint with a pin later, if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2670.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2680.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2681.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2682.jpg   Bell 206L Long Ranger build report-104_2683.jpg  

Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM

Looks great! I love the rotor idea. :D
Google Adsense