PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlazarus6660 View Post
No R/C is planned until I can make it fly safely after being powered to altitude.
My idea is to use rocket components. A body tube for internal structure, paper covered balsa wings and tail surfaces, and a balsa or plastic nose cone.
Besides paper models, mostly aircraft and rockets, I build rockets, both kits and designs of my own.
Here is some of my builds and designs.
I see. I usually just use cardstock spars/ribs. They are heavier than balsa, but they don't break on hard landings. Cardstock for the wing covering makes for really strong wings.

I have a 36" long version of the F16 that has the needed spars/ribs, it is easy to downsize them to this size that Dave is working on.

Kind of curious how your models fly? Did you do any weight and balance on the Navy jet conversion? The wings look like a flat plat airfoil, is this your plan for the F16, or do you want to try the 9% airfoil it has?

Great looking models! Thanks for showing them.

Have messed around with Estes rockets since I was 8-y/o. Doing Stomp Rockets now. Cheaper and lots of experiments can be done safely to show different rocket configurations.

If the F16 is designed/built properly, it could probably handle a D-size engine.

Photos show the 36" F16 RC model that I designed handling a 5lb barbell placed near the root with the wingtips supported by plastic drinking cups.
Also shown is the fuselage crushdown test using the same 5lbs.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
Mike Bauer's F-16 Flyer again! new test build needed-5lb-wingtip-support.jpg   Mike Bauer's F-16 Flyer again! new test build needed-5lb-test.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.09 MB
Kind of curious how your models fly? Did you do any weight and balance on the Navy jet conversion? The wings look like a flat plat airfoil, is this your plan for the F16, or do you want to try the 9% airfoil it has?

Great looking models! Thanks for showing them.

Have messed around with Estes rockets since I was 8-y/o. Doing Stomp Rockets now. Cheaper and lots of experiments can be done safely to show different rocket configurations.

If the F16 is designed/built properly, it could probably handle a D-size engine.

Photos show the 36" F16 RC model that I designed handling a 5lb barbell placed near the root with the wingtips supported by plastic drinking cups.
Also shown is the fuselage crushdown test using the same 5lbs.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer[/QUOTE]

Here is the link that might answer your questions.

A-7 Corsair II Rocket - The Rocketry Forum

Not sure about the airfoil, flat airfoils work fine for most model aircraft. Check out this ducted fan model r/c jet made from flat foam.

F-16 Build Thread - RC Groups

Some of these planes start out as pusher prop jets. There ia an entire section devoted to this type of jet.

Pusher Prop Jet Models - RC Groups

The build techniques may give you some ideas trading weight for strength

You do very good work yourself and Thank you for your compliments.

Regards,
Daniel
Old 02-03-2011, 02:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Daniel,

Like the videos, looks like the A7 is a great rocket. Nice and straight!

Some of my models have been converted to depron. Fuselage was normal cardstock, while the wings were 3mm depron. Combination seemed to work allright.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Great!...someone has graciously offered to build the metal version F-16 for me.

Can't wait to see it and get photos to complete the cover.
Once that is done, I will reissue this model.

Watch for an announcement.