PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
I have had reason to go through this model when it was near its completion, and I can only say that I hold it to be the finest and most endearing kit of paper model that I've ever possessed. Eric really has taken every care to make it a complete kit, in every sense.

The instructions are exceptionally good, with very pedagogical, step-by-step illustrations. The special translation of paper weights to include European standards is most helpful. Without them us Europeans would have been totally helpless. And I happen to know for a fact that Eric has taken extra care (including a total reworking of all the pages on the verge of publishing) to make it universally printable, on both A4 and Letter pages, inkjet and lasers.

The only question mark which remains now (and I'll gladly leave it be for the moment) is how to get 100-weight monofilament silk thread... That particular measuring system is still beyond me, and I'll have to settle for the thinnest silk thread in the sewing-material shop I frequent.

The general instructions for some special techniques are very good. Eric's way of making thin tubes, and filling out cylinder shaped parts with expanding spirals of paper strips reminds me fondly of the methods used by Robert Kaelin in the 90's. He, too, made models which depended on the natural colour of the papers used, although in his case it was a forced technique, since colour printers had hardly been invented and he was restricted to B & W printing only.

The extra section with material from Flight magazine (Global Flight pdf archive) is what really clinches it for me. That is so good, and Eric has done such a good thing in selecting this particular aircraft for modeling, if nothing else than for this archival material.

Then there is the graphic profile which is exquisitely conformed to the era of the original model. The kit in fact reads as well as many a book for good-night literature!

I studied the propellor part with particular interest, of course, and it was great. Eric has made a couple of alterations in the method, which I find entirely appropriate and an improvement, I'm sure.

Another thing which caught my interest, and which I will have to study more carefully, is the spoked wheels methodology. I'm sure that, too, will become a standard, and I would dearly like to see it practised in a detailed build report, which goes for the rest of Eric's model as well, of course, since it includes so many interesting and seldomly practised methods.

Mentioning standards, it is customary to say that someone's efforts are setting a new standard. I'm not so sure that such a saying is entirely applicable to Eric's first kit. In fact, it will probably be a good while until someone produces an equally complete kit. It will remain unsurpassed for a long while. Particularly since Eric in all probability will need some considerable time to produce his next kit. And what's the hurry anyway - this one should keep all of us occupied for quite some time.

You should be very content with this Eric! Please let the rest of the community in on it as soon as possible. You have already shown that it is eminently buildable.

Leif
Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Have you decided how you will release this model? It is superb. There are many superb models and modelers, and your work, by all appearances, seems have put you in the company of many fine builders and even smaller group of builders of fine models, who are also designers. I imagine demand will be great for aircraft of the genre.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Nice work. Clean and thoughtful. The instruction page is a breath of fresh air in the paper modeling community.

In particular, the ruler scale along the sides, the center punch holes in the circles, the paper stock directions and the lamination and thickness instructions.

All of which are missing from my own design instructions... dangitdangitdangit.

Clearly, a pro-quality model... and I want one.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM

WOW! I love those types of planes. Impressive skills and I repeat everything others have said.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
Thanks, all, for your kind words. I hope the kit lives up to your expectations!

I intend to do more of these - I've got a whole list of subjects picked out - but I doubt I'll ever be able to finish more than one or two a year.

I think I'd like to wait to release this until I see what happens when somebody else tries to build it - and more on that in a moment. I don't want anyone buying this kit and then getting frustrated when it turns out I did a rotten job explaining myself. And since I didn't take a single picture during the build, it'll no doubt be helpful to see some steps along the way.

Regarding demand for kits of aircraft of this era, I rather doubt that there will ever be any great interest in the Pioneers. There are very, very few kits of pre-1914 aeroplanes currently available. It's a shame, too, and if my own work illuminates a few of the men and machines of that time then I've done some good. In that spirit, here's the introductory page of the kit giving a brief history of the subject:

Thanks again for all the comments and interest. I'd also like to thank Leif especially for his help and encouragement, not to mention his propellors!
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 PM

And now, down to business.

Thomas Meek and ufhc have both offered to beta build. I'll be sending the kit out to them presently. I'm excited (maybe a little nervous - a little), to have two builds; since the model can be finished in two versions perhaps we'll get to see them both.

A few thoughts for you, gentlemen, before beginning:

Please do not feel any pressure to complete the model quickly. I'm in no hurry, and this thing is a lot of work. Take your time. Have some fun.

You'll need to acquire a few items just slightly outside the norm. There's a list included with the kit and most of it shouldn't be hard to find. Silver metallic cardstock might be a challenge: I use Red River Silver Paper, but it's currently unavailable from the manufacturer. I found a few alternate sources a while back (see here), but it's anybody's guess if they still have stock. Another option would be to treat non-inkjet metallic silver cardstock with Golden Digital Grounds, although I haven't tried it and can't say how well it works. Either way, you want a bright, shiny metallic surface - don't use matte or pearlescent silver paper.

100wt filament silk thread is available from Red Rock Threads. I highly recommend it for rigging and wheel spokes.

Very small diameter stainless steel wire is available from SmallParts. This might come in handy for some of the short and fiddly bracing wires.

Please, please, PLEASE check the parts pages for proper size before you cut anything out. That's what the scales on the edges of the pages are for. Printer distortion is easy enough to fix, but if you don't - and I'm speaking from experience here - you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out why things don't fit.

And just a head's up - the undercarriage is a real bugger to get together and the pilot's seat is no picnic, either. Just sayin'.

I'm looking forward to seeing both your work. I might suggest we keep everything in this thread for convenience's sake. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

Thanks again. The kits will be going out shortly!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post

Another thing which caught my interest, and which I will have to study more carefully, is the spoked wheels methodology. I'm sure that, too, will become a standard, and I would dearly like to see it practised in a detailed build report
Ah, the wheels . . . .

As some of you know, spoked wheels have been a little white whale of mine for a long, long time. I think I finally nailed it. It's the one area of the instructions that I think might be a little cloudy, but the method itself is suprisingly simple and fairly foolproof. The trick was the construction of the rims. Even that, although it's tedious and requires care, isn't really very difficult.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
Particularly since Eric in all probability will need some considerable time to produce his next kit.
No kidding!

It's going to be a ripper, though. . . .
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Wow !!! Eric I'm speechless maybe I've to say it in Spanish: Increible. Maravilloso.

I've to acquire the kit just for the instructions, they're like a manual.Great work.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.57 MB
Kudos to you. It looks like a beautiful kit and a fine model. Make more please!
Peter
Google Adsense