PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Just one word: Great! The pre-WW1 planes are my special interest. I already built some of them and this one seems to be a masterpiece. I hope it will be available soon (where?).

All my Models can be seen here.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a most exciting project, Eric. I fear that it is far beyond my own model building capabilities, but I take great pleasure in the skill, care, and love you have put into the project; the beauty of the airplane and the model; and the preservation of a lovely piece of aviation history.

I look forward to seeing the results of the beta build and I will purchase one of these so that I can enjoy reading over the instructions, looking at the parts, and, perhaps, even venturing to try to build it some day.

Congratulations on seeing through this exceptionally demanding and challenging project of historical research, design, engineering, craft, and art.

Don
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Wow!!
I am not a fan of WWI planes but I am a fan of well designed models. I am looking forward to purchasing your kit and building this amazing piece of work. Nice job Eric...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I would buy the kit for the instructions alone - they are outstanding, and highlight some great build techniques. However, the model looks like it may be beyond my capabilities though, especially the fiddly wing ribs. But unless I was planning on creating sag between the ribs in the wing, I wouldn't need to put all the wing ribs in place. Or, I could use a different sag technique altogether, such as one that doesn't require ribs. That's what's great about paper models - with a little thought, one can build it as simply or as detailed as one desires, using techniques that work for the individual. Still, I'd probably try to build it as Eric intended, just because of the challenge it would present to me.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Thumbs up

Wow Eric ! I would love to give this a go ! would also make a lovely piece for a diorama.
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
I'll echo the praise of all the others and say, simply, gorgeous!

I've been a fan of your scratch built models for years, and glad to see you're producing kits of these little beauties.

I'm wondering if the Hanriot racer is planned for the series...8v) I finished the white design of it a while back, but haven't been able to build it. This aeroplane has similarities to the Hanriot, as did most birds of the era.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Good Things Take Time...,

Hi Eric,

Beautiful creation and congratulations on a quintessential model of this period.

Bravo!

Bien Cordialement, +Gil
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Hi, Eric;

I downloaded the files this morning, and am very, very impressed with both the detail of the model and the thouroughness of the instructions.

I like your use of colored card stock to avoid problems of edge color, etc, but this leads me to my first question:

What brand of card stock do you recommend? What did you use for the prototype? How close a match is possible with the color of the Royal Navy Air Service version?

I spent a little time this afternoon visiting my usual sources of paper, and found some close matches but nothing that was "right on" regarding color, texture and workability.

I do not yet know which version I will be building; I have given ufhc first choice since I believe he was the first to accept your offer, but there is much to be done before the choice is required.

I must say that this is a deliciously frightening project to begin, but also remind myself that I do my best work when challenged, and my very best work when the challenge is strong. In building the prototype and writing the instructions for this model you have done all the really hard work. I can only hope that the copy I build will do justice to your masterpiece.

With Great Respect,
Thomas
Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 41.26 MB
Hello, Eric;
I went through the instructions and parts sheets again, this time with my glasses on, and see that the components made from the colored paper do not actually need to match anything closely. Made a mistake already and haven't even started to build!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meek View Post
I went through the instructions and parts sheets again, this time with my glasses on, and see that the components made from the colored paper do not actually need to match anything closely.
Quite right - all the green parts are printed. The colored cardstock parts replicate wood, metal, leather and rubber parts of the aeroplane that would have appeared in the natural color of the material.

Quote:
Made a mistake already and haven't even started to build!
No worries - I make tons of 'em!

Quote:
What brand of card stock do you recommend? What did you use for the prototype?
I honestly have no idea. Truth be told, I have an eight-inch high stack of cardstock in a plastic box, all unwrapped and sorted by color. It's probably whatever brand they sell at Michael's that comes in packs of 50 sheets of white or black, and assorted packs of 10 sheets each white, black, grey, tan and brown (almost like they knew what I would do with it . . . . ) Can't remember the name of it for the life of me, but they also sell it at department stores like Meijer.

Quote:
I do not yet know which version I will be building; I have given ufhc first choice since I believe he was the first to accept your offer, but there is much to be done before the choice is required.
Actually, you were first - but who's counting?
Google Adsense