PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by parviz View Post
Hello. One of the weaknesses laser cutting is that the edges of the paper burns But now is the best method.
Hi Parviz,
That was one of my first problems to overcome. The kerf (laser speak for the cut) is entirely dependent on the optics and where one focuses the laser. I switched my lens out to a 38mm from a 60mm. What this does is decrease my cut size a bit but lessens the thickness of the stuff I can cut. The way a Co2 laser works is with both infrared and compressed gas (air). The air is constantly blowing directly on the cut to blast away ablated material so that nothing else burns and lessens scorching. Every part is actually increased in size by a minuscule offset of .01mm-.03mm depending on the kit (holes cut out are decreased by the same value). This most definitely makes up for anything the laser takes away. Good manual focusing and not depending on auto focus methods helps a ton! It took me a good while to learn how to properly align and focus a flying optics laser. If you look at a peice of material that has been properly cut at the right power levels and speed, there is very little scorching or burning, just a fine cut line.

Quote:
Ron, Please say Hi to her too :-) How much of that laser cutting machine? I thinking to purchase Craftrobo, a card cutting machine but still not purchase yet. I think cutting machine will make a looking good model easily like instant noodle
Nobi, a gentleman never tells Seriously...it was the price of a good quality used car (not a 79 Lada either ). I am hoping to do other things with it as well as it will engrave up to 1000 dpi on just about anything and cut most things other than metal. I bet the cutters you are talking about are pretty good. I wonder how long the blades last and whether the machine can handle the 1mm stuff for any length of time. My understanding is that some of the better ones can apply a lot of constant pressure and can be controlled completely by software like a small CNC machine. I was serious with my offer. please pm your address and info and I will mail it to you.

Guys, I will start sending former sets out in the next day or so. Expect them in the mail! I'll respond to your pm's today at some point.
Thanks to everyone who has jumped on so far! I really appreciate it

Ron
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
The minimal scorching I have seen on other laser cut frames is really moot because they are frames and not seen. I believe some publishers are actually laser-cutting the entire model but I have not seen on of those models yet.

I have a Ukranian Nieuport printed out and eagerly await the arrival of your laser-cuts.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
YB, I purchased some of the GPM railroad-oriented kits from Papermodelstore some while ago that are completely laser-cut; they are fabulous. Among those I have are a couple of different crane cars, a worker dormatory wagon, a coal yard, a track inspection car, and a few other little gems. If you can find one of them (last I looked, Papermodelstore still had some of them listed), I highly recommend snagging it. They usually have both HO and N scale versions of the kits, and the price is fairly moderate.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM

The scorching really is very minimal. What messes up a piece believe it or not is flash back. When the beam penetrates whatever substance you're cutting, light or in this case infrared light reflects back up and messes up the bottom surface. I replaced my cheaper bed with cast tooling aluminum and spent about an hour with a sander and 80 grit paper to get rid of the shine. The other thing I use is a honey comb table on top of the bed which also helps prevent flash back. Next step is to drill and then tap a couple hundred holes in the bed so that I can screw in pointed stand-offs. These lasers are finicky, troublesome but really cool machines! Here is a pic of the Heinkel He-51W frame set. This is one detailed model! I haven't seen frames like this in a small kit for some time! The first sheet is packed! On anther note, anyone remember any kits out there that were former only bi planes? I remember something a few years back but can't put my finger on it (getting old fart syndrome)
Attached Thumbnails
Laser Cut Frames and Formers (Beta testers needed!)-he-51w.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM

I remember the skeleton kits...stunning little things, but I don't remember who it was producing them. He also had a Bf-109 kit as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 447.41 MB
I'd be willing to do the Me Bf109E-1. Just PM or email me, Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Ron, after a bit of research into the dusty corners of my hard drive....I think the models you are thinking of were done by Salvador Ortega Cabrera (a member of the site, I think), www.geocities.com/chajalmexico. Before everyone goes nuts, the website is no longer maintained, but wayback machine got back to an image of his site with the I-16, Bf-109, and Zero models. I didn't check to see if the download links were still good. I didn't see any biplanes there, but could swear that he also did a Fokker D-VII and a Sopwith Camel kit done up in skeleton form. The monoplane kits were all in 1:72 scale...far too fiddly for me, at least without laser cutting. Maybe a business opportunity here if all parties could be brought together? Food for thought.

After a bit of googling and a trip to Papermau....here is current linkage. http://salvadorortega.webcindario.com/ I salivate at the thought of kit possibilites.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Darwin, Thank you! Those were exactly what I was thinking about. I had forgotten they were 1/72. It's too bad as they are really small for my fat fingers. Thanks for all of your effort! I agree, there are so many possibilities opening up. I was thinking of larger scale stuff in that skeletal format. It could be really nice with the right set of drawings and a good designer. I wish I had those skills!
BTW, for those of you that pm'd me your address, the frame sets will be going out tomorrow. If anyone else wants to jump in on one that hasn't been claimed (or even if it has) leave me a note!

Ron
Old 07-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
WOOO! Thats a lot of volunteers cant wait to see how things turn out! I better scrape the rust off my blade too.....
Chris
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM

I can't believe it! Offering to give something away for free and I get 4 responses!
C'mon guys! next I'm going to hear they're too expensive On a serious note, more and more are being added to the inventory. For you guys that did offer to beta test them, you should all have them in a couple days. thank you ever so much for volunteering! I have started playing around with the idea of a skeleton aircraft kit. So far, I'm leaning towards a Albatros D.III in 1:24 scale. I have quite a few drawings, photos etc and have started with creating vector fuselage bulkheads from Wylam's set of Albatros drawings. If anyone has any input on this, I'm open for any advice, suggestions or anything else
Talk soon!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Laser Cut Frames and Formers (Beta testers needed!)-albatros1.jpg