PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Beta Builders needed!

Old 01-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 98.87 MB
ok guys Here is my F-100 Beta Build. i deviated from the original plans and tried using a sheet of thin cardboard (close to 1/16 thick) for the central core. the first picture is showing where i went and drew a line on the core for a wire hook i pre bent. i soaked the spot with Thin CA to harden the area and then laminated one Fuse template to one side. i then took a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut to the core of the cardboard center former so that my wire would sit flush. once glued in with Thick Gell CA i laminated another fuse template to the outside. picture two is after i laminated it and the dark color is where i soaked the nose in Thin CA to help stiffin and add weight to the nose ( read to many comments of it being tail heavy). i then cut out the color parts and glues them to the fuse and then the wings. the third picture is after being built i poked a small hole in the fuse where the CG was marked and fed a piece of string through the hole and to my amazement it balanced like you see it with no other help. pratice flights indoors do show its a tad bit heavy but glides are straight and level and im waiting for it to dry out to try the hook out fot rubber band launches. total time to assemble was 1 hour and 45min. the parts were printed on 100lb 8.5x11 cardstock. the fuse total thickness is 1/8in thick and the wings are a lamination of the 100lb cardstock. glur used was UHU Brand All purpose, Thin CA (dollar General Red Cap, and Thick CA Gell(Dollar General Green Cap)

Shane
Attached Thumbnails
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-0103150025.jpg   F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-0103150107.jpg   F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-0103150147.jpg   F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-0103150151.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 PM

ok Mike i got a chance to tely fly the F-100 and the F-4. i built the F-4 phantom with all the parts provided and honestly if flew worse than the F-100. the furtrest flight was only 10ft. the F-100 that i did flew well till its rudder issue kicked its own butt. i was averaging 75ft before it would spin out and fall. if you were to enlarge just the rudder by maby 10% it mite help. my custom rubber band hook worked perfectly and if the rudder flaw didnt hold it back i could be pushing 150 or more feet. it flies really fast the way i built it and even surived a nice lawn dart moment after a vertical launch lol hope this input helps
Attached Thumbnails
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-0104151551.jpg   F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-0104151247.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaperguy View Post
ok guys Here is my F-100 Beta Build. i deviated from the original plans and tried using a sheet of thin cardboard (close to 1/16 thick) for the central core. the first picture is showing where i went and drew a line on the core for a wire hook i pre bent. i soaked the spot with Thin CA to harden the area and then laminated one Fuse template to one side. i then took a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut to the core of the cardboard center former so that my wire would sit flush. once glued in with Thick Gell CA i laminated another fuse template to the outside. picture two is after i laminated it and the dark color is where i soaked the nose in Thin CA to help stiffin and add weight to the nose ( read to many comments of it being tail heavy). i then cut out the color parts and glues them to the fuse and then the wings. the third picture is after being built i poked a small hole in the fuse where the CG was marked and fed a piece of string through the hole and to my amazement it balanced like you see it with no other help. pratice flights indoors do show its a tad bit heavy but glides are straight and level and im waiting for it to dry out to try the hook out fot rubber band launches. total time to assemble was 1 hour and 45min. the parts were printed on 100lb 8.5x11 cardstock. the fuse total thickness is 1/8in thick and the wings are a lamination of the 100lb cardstock. glur used was UHU Brand All purpose, Thin CA (dollar General Red Cap, and Thick CA Gell(Dollar General Green Cap)

Shane
Hi Shane,

Yes, great observations! They all help.

Used many of the ones mentioned earlier for the design of the B-58 Hustler.

One thing for sure, going to a left and right side fuselage without the laminations. A few laminations in the front to add weight will be it.

As far as enlarging the rudder, not a good idea. The problem is the flat fuselage counteracts the rudder. No way for the rudder to overcome without being extremely large. The weight this will add will cause other problems!

Will be making larger stabilizers. This should give a little better pitch control helping to maintain flight without the stall and then the spin.

The biggest change is a different shaped airfoil and using 3 degrees of wing incidence. The wing incidence lowers the nose when in level flight, which helps the rudder somewhat.

Working on the Buzzz project, will be updating all of these gliders once the fuel system is done on the pulsejet. Gives time, while making the changes to these, deciding if landing gear will be installed on the Buzzz, instead of catapult launching and belly landings.

BTW-With the flat plate wing it is hard to figure the CG point. With an airfoil shape it is easy!

Forgot to mention: Great Photos!

Mike
Old 01-04-2015, 06:07 PM

well like i said the phantom totally bombed for me. i mite do a clear plastic extension on it in the future to test it out and see if it helps
Old 01-04-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
well like i said the phantom totally bombed for me. i mite do a clear plastic extension on it in the future to test it out and see if it helps
Great! Hope it works. Keep me posted if you try it.

Will try the option I mentioned to narrow it down to a possible cure. If they don't work, will try what you mention.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 01-04-2015, 06:35 PM

or convert it to a F-100F witn the canopy and dorsal spine extenstin lol make the ribs and pylons as one piece so u have the rib but it looks like an empty missle pylon lol
Attached Thumbnails
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-north_american_f_100d_super_sabre-26498.jpg   F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-3_29.jpg  
Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.63 GB
Quote:
or convert it to a F-100F witn the canopy and dorsal spine extenstin lol make the ribs and pylons as one piece so u have the rib but it looks like an empty missle pylon lol
OOoohhhhh Wild Weasel versions

Stefan Wulph
Old 01-05-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
One quick fix would be to add more dihedral to the wing. Notice you bent the tips up giving it some dihedral, add a little more by bending them at the fuselage. This will add stability.

A final fix would be to add "washout" at the wingtips.

What is washout? Here are a couple of photos to show how to add it.

Photo 1 is from RCGroups.com showing the wingtip twisted down at the leading edge.
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-washout.jpg

Image 2 is from bobavery.com showing a front view exaggeration.
F100 Profile Glider Beta Builder Needed-image1.jpg

Washout gives the wing a natural tendency to recover back to stable flight. Almost all general aviation aircraft have it. Big time safety factor!

Mike
Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM

i had the tips up and anhedral tail. when i flattened the tail out it helped a tily bit but it wasnt muck. im getting flat spins as soon as it leaves my hand. also the sked for a rubber band it too short. i will try making a wire template and you could include it in the plans for those that want to add it. mite help with the nose weight at well.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 AM

i also fly RC models so i know some of that jargon and i will give it a try tomorrow. if you look at my F-100 you can get an idea of how i did the wire and decide if you want to use it as well.
Google Adsense